The Oh-So-Permanent Thanksgiving Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Some of these places are adopting the policy of giving their employees time off for Thanksgiving, but there's a vocal opposition to that on the grounds of, "Don't work, don't get paid." Part of me understands why, in this day and age of the challenges of just making a decent living, some people would want a paycheck, but it's sad that it's gotten to a point that many people are hard up for cashflow that they'd rather forego a holiday and time with their families for one day to go to work that day. :smirk:

mr3urious

Reaction score
This year we just got some turkey breast meat instead of a whole turkey, since we mostly end up eating that anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But the dark meat is so much juicier and more flavorful.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Some of these places are adopting the policy of giving their employees time off for Thanksgiving, but there's a vocal opposition to that on the grounds of, "Don't work, don't get paid." Part of me understands why, in this day and age of the challenges of just making a decent living, some people would want a paycheck, but it's sad that it's gotten to a point that many people are hard up for cashflow that they'd rather forego a holiday and time with their families for one day to go to work that day. :smirk:
It's one thing if someone actually wants to come in and work because they choose not to celebrate Thanksgiving (then again, who DOESN'T want a day off from work?) What I can't stand is some stores opening at 7pm Thanksgiving night to get a head start on Black Friday. I mean, sheeeeeesh! As for Black Friday, there is no way you're gonna get me into a store on the day after Thanksgiving!
(you're gonna have to enlarge this to read it, I'm sorry to say). I did this back in 2012. Wow, has it been that long already? Five years since I've done this, and I STILL haven't learned to draw!

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
It's one thing if someone actually wants to come in and work because they choose not to celebrate Thanksgiving (then again, who DOESN'T want a day off from work?) What I can't stand is some stores opening at 7pm Thanksgiving night to get a head start on Black Friday. I mean, sheeeeeesh! As for Black Friday, there is no way you're gonna get me into a store on the day after Thanksgiving!
(you're gonna have to enlarge this to read it, I'm sorry to say). I did this back in 2012. Wow, has it been that long already? Five years since I've done this, and I STILL haven't learned to draw!
You are not a terrible drawer at all.

Erine81981

Reaction score
This year we just got some turkey breast meat instead of a whole turkey, since we mostly end up eating that anyway.
Wished my mom would just do that but she insist on getting a full turkey and some Ham. I've been telling her that she should either get one or the other that way she doesn't have to cook two things while getting the side dishes and dessert ready or just order out or get tamales and that would be Thanksgving but I understand it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without all that stuff.
But the dark meat is so much juicier and more flavorful.
Dude! I can't stand white meat too. I want the darker stuff. Well that wasn't what I meant to say.
Dude! I loved this. Really great job. Keep it up. I know that I always said my stuff looked horrible but my mom would say "Just keep drawing and sooner it'll turn out better but I'm always going to love it," but I still hate some of what I draw but others I just don't like.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I've had retail jobs, but back then it was a given. Thanksgiving meant you were CLOSED. There will be enough chaos on Black Friday.
Now some stores still want to open on Thanksgiving. But it's not the top managers or CEO's sacrificing their holidays. It's the low-rung grunts that have little say in the matter.

At my last job, I did work holidays, like police, hospital staff, etc. I was part of a kitchen crew that had to feed 400 senior citizens every day. These people had to eat. But I went in early, was done by 3:00 pm. Still have time for turkey with my family.

This year I'm volunteering at a soup kitchen. You want to see thankful people? People with no homes, no jobs, no health insurance, some disabled vets, knowing they weren't forgotten. They have something to be thankful for.

Yes, we got problems in this country. But if you have a roof over your head, food in your mouth, clothes on your back, and people in your life that love you, you're better off than many. If you can't express gratitude on Thursday (or anytime), maybe you'd like to switch places with some of the people I'll be serving. Just saying.

Operative part of the holiday name Thanksgiving: GIVING THANKS.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
While you attack restaurant owners for keeping their businesses open on Thanksgiving, just remember that a lot of people spend their Thanksgiving at a restaurant.