And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm less interested in experience from white males like myself. It's not that I don't care. I just get that information constantly whether I seek it out or not. Trying is not necessary. No white male in America is shy about giving his opinion. Ever. :stick_out_tongue: I include myself in this.
Lol, yeah I do get that argument. It's just that for me, I'm reminded of a friend and his sibling. The sibling was having problems so the parents tended to make a bigger deal about him and praise him more when he succeeded at something. My friend didn't get as much praise because it was just understood that he would always do better. Today...my friend isn't doing well. That kind of neglect, and also the assumption that everything was alright, has consequences over time. And I think we saw that with white poor people feeling neglected and going for Trump. You can't just write off white people as "Oh they're OK, they're white." That's just far too simplistic and narrow.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
See, here's what I want to know. Where are the sources that Russia "hacked" the election? I find nothing to back that up.
Have you ever tried reading the Wall Street Journal? It's not just financial. It's a paper like the Times and the Post and has been around about as long. Any slant it has is considered as conservative as some people believe the Times and the Post to be. While I think most people should get information from all three if they are able, I encourage you to at least check the WSJ about any issue you question. I think that's fair and it will solidify your knowledge on things without you feeling inundated by partisan thinking. Most of that, however, is in the minds of Libs and Conservatives. All three papers are wonderful sources of information (even though Fox News owner, Rupert Murdock, owns the WSJ). Those are fighting words among both parties. That's how you know it's probably true. :wink: Believing anything outright, however, is folly. We should all have a healthy skepticism.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Lol, yeah I do get that argument. It's just that for me, I'm reminded of a friend and his sibling. The sibling was having problems so the parents tended to make a bigger deal about him and praise him more when he succeeded at something. My friend didn't get as much praise because it was just understood that he would always do better. Today...my friend isn't doing well. That kind of neglect, and also the assumption that everything was alright, has consequences over time. And I think we saw that with white poor people feeling neglected and going for Trump. You can't just write off white people as "Oh they're OK, they're white." That's just far too simplistic and narrow.
Yuppers. I can agree with that to some degree. It is, however, important to acknowledge that we all have agency over our own actions whether we realize that or not. And it's precisely what I do, without really realizing it anymore, that helped Trump get elected. Trump is the embodiment of the tantrum thrown by many in white male America. They were used to all of the attention, but when they felt ignored when things started going poorly for them. Instead, people were praising other things and other people who'd greatly been ignored. We can and should do both! I guess many Dems believe that an over-correction is in order. Whether or not that we should over-correct this is a matter of opinion. That it helped lose the election for Hillary is a fact.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
They were used to all of the attention
That is so not what I said, lol.

Perhaps, because you did grow up in such a conservative dominate environment, you see them as getting all the attention and having great lives. But again, it's not that simple.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
That is so not what I said, lol.
Of course you weren't saying that part in your initial statement. I took it a step further. White males have always been prioritized in America. They were used to having more attention than anyone else. That's not only my belief. As a white male, who's still worked very hard for everything I have, I've also felt that. It also helps that I'm considered rather gregarious, so there is that slant. But I still stand by my extension of your statement (about ignoring one child in favor on another) that it's when the attention of Dems shifted from white males to women and minorities, America's other children, that the trouble started. One child does not need to be ignored in order to help another child. The same is true for Americans.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The plain fact is, regardless of reason, justification or otherwise, white middle Americans FEEL ignored. Feeling are not facts, but they greatly sway elections. If politics truly is about perception, the DNC needs to go back to school about everything. Our intent, I believe, is right. The methodology, outcome and what great things are overlooked, is as flawed as it can be. When Hillary Clinton was going around trying to seem like an authentic American citizen, she failed. She's not. She's never been just one of the people. She started in politics early in life and in a rather hardcore way. That alone disqualifies the false authenticity she was trying to cultivate. Instead of going around and telling people what their problems were, she should have asked and listened.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
White males have always been prioritized in America.
Again, not that simple. There are degrees of being prioritized in this country, lol.

Again, maybe this is a cultural thing. You seem to have grown up in a very conservative dominant environment. I'm from the North East and it's an unusual combination of liberal and conservative. Somehow we manage to live together. I think that's why I'm bumping up against some of your characterizations of conservatives or poor white people.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Again, not that simple. There are degrees of being prioritized in this country, lol.

Again, maybe this is a cultural thing. You seem to have grown up in a very conservative dominant environment. I'm from the North East and it's an unusual combination of liberal and conservative. Somehow we manage to live together. I think that's why I'm bumping up against some of your characterizations of conservatives or poor white people.
That actually greatly helps me understand your perception. I spent two years in DC during the Reagan Era and one year in NYC right before Rudy took office. I get that. And you're right in that all things are a matter of degrees. That's something I keep saying, particularly in posts to you, about many things. Sometimes I don't think people hear each other when they try to say something. I think that's happening a little with both of us here. By prioritized, I mean a white person, regardless of what part of the country they live in, is more often given the benefit of a doubt when it comes to a traffic stop. To be honest, I've been stopped and frisked on my own street, right in front of my own apartment building. it sucks. However, I was with a friend who was not white. They put on gloves to frisk him. We joked about that later. There's so much latent racism that white people, including myself, don't see. My advice for every white American is that when a person of color makes an accusation of dog whistle racism, instead of our primal instinct to buck back against it - acknowledge what they're feeling in the moment and try to see where they're coming from. Also, when a white American feels they've gotten the shaft for one reason or another, my advice to everyone is to listen to the pain the're feeling. That's important too and I often neglect that. As for the poor thing about white America, I have iterated and reiterated to an excessive degree exactly what you're trying to say there. I don't know how else to state it. I get it. I really do. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
However, I was with a friend who was not white. They put on gloves to frisk him. We joked about that later. There's so much latent racism that white people, including myself, don't see.
Yikes! Yeah there's definitely things that happen that you don't even realize sometimes.

And I get the idea of privilege. I mean as a woman I'll never be looked at funny for talking to random kids, lol. That right there is a great example of privilege. So yeah, it does exist. It's just that, as you said before, it gets taken too far, and used so often, it looses all impact.

Yeah I get you, I'll back off, I do tend to drill in a point sometimes, lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's so much latent racism that white people, including myself, don't see.
Oh and I have to share this, I don't know if you watch Morning Joe, but they played this fake robo call that was supposed to be a Washington Post journalist looking to discredit Roy Moore. Whoever did this put on this horrible, stereotypical Jewish accent and called himself "Bernie Bernstein." And THIS was what people in Alabama were citing when they said they heard the Washington Post was out to frame Moore! Lol...wow. And I'm sure such people view Italians no better. And yes, God only knows what they think of black people. So yeah, there's definitely a lot of bigotry around that we don't realize. "Think of all the hate there is in Red China, then take a look around at Selma, Alabama."