And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Yikes! Yeah there's definitely things that happen that you don't even realize sometimes.

And I get the idea of privilege. I mean as a woman I'll never be looked at funny for talking to random kids, lol. That right there is a great example of privilege. So yeah, it does exist. It's just that, as you said before, it gets taken too far, and used so often, it looses all impact.

Yeah I get you, I'll back off, I do tend to drill in a point sometimes, lol.
We're cool. The kids thing is so true! We've been taught to trust women more when it comes to those matters, but I know many who can't even keep a cactus alive, much less care for a child. Perceptions can often be so amusingly wrong. And, yeah, I live on the edge of the red light district in San Francisco known as the Tenderloin. It's all hookers, drug dealers, homeless people and tech interlopers trying to gentrify it all. It's only the last group that I don't like. The rest are what they are and won't bother you if you don't bother them. No one likes to admit to living here and shades it by saying, "Well, I'm close enough to Nob Hill in order for it to be considered the Tender Nob." I just shake my head because, to them, that's supposed to sound better. I guess they're to close to it to really hear what they're saying. Haha! Still, I tell them, "Oh, honey. You live in the TL. Embrace the reality!" I've also lived right across the street from a homeless shelter for over 20 years. I could actually have a conversation with any of them right now from my 4th story window. Everything good, bad and in between people say about homeless folk I've witnessed. Everything in this world is complicated. On one hand, I love the internet because it brings people together, but there's nothing like looking into a person's eyes, whether they're actually saying something or not, to connect with how they're feeling. Republicans do that with their voters. Democrats, not so much.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Oh and I have to share this, I don't know if you watch Morning Joe, but they played this fake robo call that was supposed to be a Washington Post journalist looking to discredit Roy Moore. Whoever did this put on this horrible, stereotypical Jewish accent and called himself "Bernie Bernstein." And THIS was what people in Alabama were citing when they said they heard the Washington Post was out to frame Moore! Lol...wow. And I'm sure such people view Italians no better. And yes, God only knows what they think of black people. So yeah, there's definitely a lot of bigotry around that we don't realize. "Think of all the hate there is in Red China, then take a look around at Selma, Alabama."
I sometimes do watch Joe. Ha! I hate to admit it, but even though I agree with her politics, Mika gets on my nerves with how she presents her views. I usually have to turn it off when she's talking. Not what most people would expect, but I actually like Joe better and I like the panel they get better than either of them. The show's been spotty over the years, but they are in fine form these days. Well, after they got Halprin out of their show. His sexual harassment charges were tough to hear about. I really liked him. I guess that's why the show is now doubling down against sexual abusers and harassers of all politcal stripes.

That robocall was so awful. It sounded like that offensive family guy character that's Jewish. Wow! Also, I lived 17 years in Houston, Texas and 23 years in San Francisco. It wasn't until I moved here that I heard the N word used so much by all races. I also was never called a *****t as much as since I've lived here. One would think it's the other way around because of "San Francisco politics", but that's just not so all of the time. I've criticized a lot of America in the past, so let me let loose a little bit on where I live.

San Francisco is a melting pot of different races, so there's more tension when we bump up against each other. There's so much forced interaction, that I like, because of the small size of the city. It has it's downsides too. We also allegedly treat the mentally ill, homeless and handicapped better than most places in America, so we have more of them. Treating them better means largely ignoring them and allowing their problems to fester. Covered California is our version of Obamacare that actually works. If Obamacare tanks, Californians will still be okay, but these people who need it most don't often have the advocacy to seek that help. It doesn't matter how good a system is if they don't or can't access it.

A more cynical friend of mine described SF as a place where everyone has a special need that they want prioritized over everybody else while they ignore everyone else's problems. That's an oversimplification rooted in some truth. My favorite political catastrophe is when there was a push to give homeless dogs to homeless people. They were to be given a stipend to take care of them. It was the most absurd problem that was created by the most insulated progressives in the city. They didn't once think about any of the issues it would cause. Even PETA was like, "Heck, no!" I'm not a fan of them, but agreed in this instance. It never took off. I knew it wouldn't. It was just a funny circus to watch.

Every place, every person and everything has its own inherent absurdities. Instead of being annoyed by them, I try to be amused by them - starting with my own, of course. We're all in this clown car called Earth together.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I sometimes do watch Joe. Ha! I hate to admit it, but even though I agree with her politics, Mika gets on my nerves with how she presents her views. I usually have to turn it off when she's talking. Not what most people would expect, but I actually like Joe better and I like the panel they get better than either of them. The show's been spotty over the years, but they are in fine form these days. Well, after they got Halprin out of their show. His sexual harassment charges were tough to hear about. I really liked him. I guess that's why the show is now doubling down against sexual abusers and harassers of all politcal stripes.

That robocall was so awful. It sounded like that offensive family guy character that's Jewish. Wow! Also, I lived 17 years in Houston, Texas and 23 years in San Francisco. It wasn't until I moved here that I heard the N word used so much by all races. I also was never called a *****t as much as since I've lived here. One would think it's the other way around because of "San Francisco politics", but that's just not so all of the time. I've criticized a lot of America in the past, so let me let loose a little bit on where I live.

San Francisco is a melting pot of different races, so there's more tension when we bump up against each other. There's so much forced interaction, that I like, because of the small size of the city. It has it's downsides too. We also allegedly treat the mentally ill, homeless and handicapped better than most places in America, so we have more of them. Treating them better means largely ignoring them and allowing their problems to fester. Covered California is our version of Obamacare that actually works. If Obamacare tanks, Californians will still be okay, but these people who need it most don't often have the advocacy to seek that help. It doesn't matter how good a system is if they don't or can't access it.

A more cynical friend of mine described SF as a place where everyone has a special need that they want prioritized over everybody else while they ignore everyone else's problems. That's an oversimplification rooted in some truth. My favorite political catastrophe is when there was a push to give homeless dogs to homeless people. They were to be given a stipend to take care of them. It was the most absurd problem that was created by the most insulated progressives in the city. They didn't once think about any of the issues it would cause. Even PETA was like, "Heck, no!" I'm not a fan of them, but agreed in this instance. It never took off. I knew it wouldn't. It was just a funny circus to watch.

Every place, every person and everything has its own inherent absurdities. Instead of being annoyed by them, I try to be amused by them - starting with my own, of course. We're all in this clown car called Earth together.
Me? :stick_out_tongue:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
As one of the strongest progressives here, I'm going to beat y'all to the punch. Charlie Rose has been named too? OMG! I can't take this anymore and that's precisely what victims are finally saying. I don't care if you're republican or democrat, gay or straight, white or black. KEEP IT IN YOUR FRIGGIN' PANTS, PEOPLE! Nobody wants to see what ya got, and if they do, they'll politely ask you for consent. Good friggin' gawd.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
By the way, hands and butt rubbing off, the same goes for Al Franken's accuser. No one, no matter what they've done in the past or the present, deserves to be touched without consent. Period. That is a violation.

Hypocrisy, however, still applies to victims when they exhibit the same behavior and are permissive supporters of other abusers like Trump. Tweeden has done both. While I greatly respect that the power dynamic is different, she's the pot calling the kettle black. This, in no way, makes Franken's behavior okay. And now there's an alleged second accusation. Sigh. I believe these women like I strive to believe ever accuser. I understand what it's like to fear not being believed and being bullied by others about things that were not my doing.

No matter how "playful" the person considers it:
  • Harassment and groping is not okay when Franken does it.
  • Harassment and groping is not okay when Tweeden does it.
  • Harassment and groping is not okay when Trump does it.

While this is not as bad as the Franken's behavior. It counts as harassment too. This was the SAME USO TOUR for goodness' sake.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I can see how anyone who supports Trump could be angry with me for pointing all of these things out. But this is how I've always seen it because it's honest. He's awful. There's no excuse for him. And everyone who supports him turns a blind eye about all of this on a daily basis because they think they'll like what his Presidency will do for them. That's not good enough. A vote for Trump was a vote for anger. I get that anger, but like Star Wars says, anger is the path to the dark side.

PS. I'm not sure if I did the namecalling thing. If I did, it's probably for referring to Trump as an jacka** of some sort. It could could have been me. It's rare, but sometimes passion gets the better of me too. He is an a-hole. Even those who support him admit that. They love him for it. And no one who supports Trump can seriously complain about expletives or namecalling. He does that at his rallies and on Twitter daily with such malice. It doesn't make any of it right. But complain about that as a Trump supporter is, for lack of a better word, hypocritical.
Geesh Jamie, been busy today? :wink: Taking me forever to get caught up on all the posts today. Just a couple of quick things here that I feel I need to point out. I've selected these 2 paragraphs to address and maybe I'll get to the rest later

1) I think one needs to be careful about distinguishing between a Trump voter and a Trump supporter. Not everybody that voted for President Trump is necessarily a supporter. Now you may not agree with me but like you've always said, words matter. Hear me out. I classify a Trump supporter as the 25% (or whatever it's at now) in the approval ratings that continue to approve of the job he's doing. I know plenty of people that voted for President Trump but abhor him and his actions, tweets, etc. Their vote for President Trump wasn't so much a vote for him, but more of a vote against the system. Almost none of them turned a blind eye towards it. They see it. But people are fed up with Washington doing absolutely nothing for them. And that includes both Democrats and Republicans. People are absolutely fed up! And along comes somebody that represents blowing up Washington and how things are done. And, of course, his opponent represents everything that is wrong with Washington. People were faced with 2 choices. One had major flaws but represented something outside the establishment. The other they saw with flaws as well but represented Washington and everything that was wrong with it. People were fed up with the Bush's and Clinton's and their representation of establishment Washington. If one were to break down the voting numbers you saw it. Counties that voted for President Obama in the last 2 elections voted for President Trump. Areas that were traditionally Democratic swung to the Republicans. The union vote that usually went Dem went Republican. It happened all over. You continue to see it today. Last weekend there was a poll that came out regarding the approval ratings. To no one's surprise, the Republican's approval ratings were at an all-time low. But along with that, the Democrats approval rating was at an all time low! What's that tell you? So I'm not going to judge those that voted for President Trump and I think it's unfair of you to judge them as well. You even acknowledge that anger and say you get it. If you truly get it, you wouldn't judge them or cast aspersions on them. Now if you want to criticize or judge that 25% or whatever it is that continue to approve of his job, feel free. That's fair game. But be careful about grouping the two together. just my 2 cents

2) I think it's completely unfair of you to imply I'm being hypocritical regarding the name calling when you aren't even sure of what the incident was about or who it was or what was even said. (And for the record, no, it was not you). My complaint wasn't about being called a name. It was the terminology that was used. I wouldn't use those terms or accept ANYBODY using the terminology that was used. If you knew what was used I think you'd agree. Maybe I'll PM you the name of the person and what was said but, quite honestly, I'd be embarrassed to even type that term.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
All of these famous people who are accused of sexual assault are just nothing but Democrats.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
OMG. Okay, terminology aside. our own government, aside from Trump himself, and Facebook itself have all confirmed that Russia created fake Facebook accounts in order to spread false information about Hillary Clinton and the Democrats. In some states where the vote was very close, this could have easily turned the election. Fact. One must be living under a rock not to have noticed this. :eek: It might be a good idea to try Googling these things before you ask them?:wisdom: Sorry, it's just so strange a question to ask.
I think the problem here lies with the term "hacked". To me, the term hacked implies that they actually hacked in to the voting machines and somehow changed the votes for President Trump. That is traditionally how the term hacked is used: to gain unauthorized access to data in a system. That is not the case and has been proven to be false through strenuous testing. Now if one were to say that the Russians influenced the election I'd absolutely agree.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Geesh Jamie, been busy today? :wink: Taking me forever to get caught up on all the posts today. Just a couple of quick things here that I feel I need to point out. I've selected these 2 paragraphs to address and maybe I'll get to the rest later

1) I think one needs to be careful about distinguishing between a Trump voter and a Trump supporter. Not everybody that voted for President Trump is necessarily a supporter. Now you may not agree with me but like you've always said, words matter. Hear me out. I classify a Trump supporter as the 25% (or whatever it's at now) in the approval ratings that continue to approve of the job he's doing. I know plenty of people that voted for President Trump but abhor him and his actions, tweets, etc. Their vote for President Trump wasn't so much a vote for him, but more of a vote against the system. Almost none of them turned a blind eye towards it. They see it. But people are fed up with Washington doing absolutely nothing for them. And that includes both Democrats and Republicans. People are absolutely fed up! And along comes somebody that represents blowing up Washington and how things are done. And, of course, his opponent represents everything that is wrong with Washington. People were faced with 2 choices. One had major flaws but represented something outside the establishment. The other they saw with flaws as well but represented Washington and everything that was wrong with it. People were fed up with the Bush's and Clinton's and their representation of establishment Washington. If one were to break down the voting numbers you saw it. Counties that voted for President Obama in the last 2 elections voted for President Trump. Areas that were traditionally Democratic swung to the Republicans. The union vote that usually went Dem went Republican. It happened all over. You continue to see it today. Last weekend there was a poll that came out regarding the approval ratings. To no one's surprise, the Republican's approval ratings were at an all-time low. But along with that, the Democrats approval rating was at an all time low! What's that tell you? So I'm not going to judge those that voted for President Trump and I think it's unfair of you to judge them as well. You even acknowledge that anger and say you get it. If you truly get it, you wouldn't judge them or cast aspersions on them. Now if you want to criticize or judge that 25% or whatever it is that continue to approve of his job, feel free. That's fair game. But be careful about grouping the two together. just my 2 cents

2) I think it's completely unfair of you to imply I'm being hypocritical regarding the name calling when you aren't even sure of what the incident was about or who it was or what was even said. (And for the record, no, it was not you). My complaint wasn't about being called a name. It was the terminology that was used. I wouldn't use those terms or accept ANYBODY using the terminology that was used. If you knew what was used I think you'd agree. Maybe I'll PM you the name of the person and what was said but, quite honestly, I'd be embarrassed to even type that term.
Thank you for a pretty accurate assessment. I was a Trump voter, but nowhere near being a supporter. Seen my share of the corruption in Washington longer than some of you have been alive. Fed up.