The Oh-So-Permanent Thanksgiving Thread

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving since it's a special time to be at home and either eat with the family or watch some specials on TV. I might watch some Charlie Brown (by the way, "Little Birdie" is still one of Vince Guaraldi's best, imo), or just help out with the food. Either way, it's win-win and I get to kick back my shoes and relax with Beaker.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I've had retail jobs, but back then it was a given. Thanksgiving meant you were CLOSED. There will be enough chaos on Black Friday.
Now some stores still want to open on Thanksgiving. But it's not the top managers or CEO's sacrificing their holidays. It's the low-rung grunts that have little say in the matter.

At my last job, I did work holidays, like police, hospital staff, etc. I was part of a kitchen crew that had to feed 400 senior citizens every day. These people had to eat. But I went in early, was done by 3:00 pm. Still have time for turkey with my family.

This year I'm volunteering at a soup kitchen. You want to see thankful people? People with no homes, no jobs, no health insurance, some disabled vets, knowing they weren't forgotten. They have something to be thankful for.

Yes, we got problems in this country. But if you have a roof over your head, food in your mouth, clothes on your back, and people in your life that love you, you're better off than many. If you can't express gratitude on Thursday (or anytime), maybe you'd like to switch places with some of the people I'll be serving. Just saying.

Operative part of the holiday name Thanksgiving: GIVING THANKS.
This is what I love about people like you. People taking the time to go and help others out. Thanks for the doing that.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This is what I love about people like you. People taking the time to go and help others out. Thanks for the doing that.
After I've been helped quite a bit over the course of my life, it's the least I can do.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I spent some time delivering for a kitchen that cooked a week's worth of meals for the poor, invalid, and home-bound, and it really wasn't bad at all, except that the organizer kept switching up our routes all the time, so it got really confusing and frustrating after a while.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I spent some time delivering for a kitchen that cooked a week's worth of meals for the poor, invalid, and home-bound, and it really wasn't bad at all, except that the organizer kept switching up our routes all the time, so it got really confusing and frustrating after a while.
It's Thanksgiving. Leave the griping aside for Xmas.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
No thanks, I like my griping with mashed potatoes and gravy on the side