Canadian Puppetry Site

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm in need of more information on ANY of the following shows:

- Snelgrove Snail
- Fabulicious Day (aired on Family Channel Canada in the 90s??)
- Kingdom Adventure (CTV series, still aired once in a while)
- Surf Shack (YTV show)
- Circle Square
- Lois Walker's shows (Take Part, etc.)

Links, tidbits, availability of DVDs/Videos would be very helpful. Thanks to all in advance for your wonderful help!

ScottMonster

Reaction score
I don't know if this is of any value to you since you didn't specify what kind of information you wanted, but of those shows you mentioned above the only one which I'm even vaguely familiar with is "Circle Square", which aired on Sunday mornings during the early 80s. I grew up in Toronto and seem to recall seeing it on CFTO-TV Channel 9. I'm far from certain on this however, so don't quote me. Basically it was one of those shows to teach Christian values to kids, like those "Davey & Goliath" shows in the U.S, hence the Sunday morning showing. Anyway the cast was mostly kids ages from about 6-14, and there was at least one, (possibly more) muppet-style puppet on that show. I completely forget his name however.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Sorry....I actually wiped out part of the message by accident when I was editing it.

I'm helping put together a comprehensive site devoted to Canadian Puppetry (I'm looking after the Ontario section) and we have a section on TV shows and I'm trying to get any information that is available on those shows because I can find very little.

I think that Circle Square was produced by the same people who are now Crossroads Christian Communications (they run the CTS cable channel and will be showing the Muppet Show this fall!).

So anything anyone knows is helpful. I watched some of these shows as a kid, but remember very little of them. I'm especially interested to know if anyone knows who puppeteered on these shows.

I am also contacting the producers of these shows and channels they were aired on but I am not sure how much help they will be.

Thanks again!

Ryan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-Beaver
Hi all!

I'm in need of more information on ANY of the following shows:

- Snelgrove Snail
I've been trying to find out more about this forever! I had two of the videos when I was younger (Too Many Cooks and Mardi Gras). One was produced by f.h.e video. I remember a girl puppet snail's name was Constance. I can see a lot of the puppets, but can't put names to them. There was a turtle with a green hat, an orange boy with long black hair who told corny jokes, and laughed very annoyingly. I wish I could help more. Also, SNelgrove Snail is not the name of the show. If I find it on the net, I'll let you know. If anybody has these videos, please contact me at ryan200012@netscape.net

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Thanks Scooter!

The show I was thinking of was actually The Waterville Gang. There's info on it at The Canadian Museum of Civilization where the puppets are kept now. Is this the same show? Or are they two different shows?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, a crude version of this site (finally) went up last week at Puppetry.ca. Right now there is just a listing of Canadian Puppeteers/Puppet Companies, Puppet Builder and Guilds, Associations and Clubs. More will be added soon.