Sesame Street News: The Little Dog

wiley207

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone else has done a fanfic of "Sesame Street News" featuring the nursery rhyme "Oh Where Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?" But I saw the potential on how it could be used as a News report, teaching about "short" and "long." It does bear some similarities to "Has Anybody Seen My Dog?" (complete with Marty) and the News report about Little Bo Peep, but otherwise this does feel a lot like something they would've done on the show; I made this with the late 80s era in mind...

CAST:
JIM HENSON – Kermit the Frog
JERRY NELSON – Marty, Announcer
MARTIN P. ROBINSON – Baskerville
KEVIN CLASH – Moe Cocker/Watson dog
DAVID RUDMAN – Terrier
RICHARD HUNT – Dawg the Dog

(The “NEWS FLASH” logo appears on a black background with its’ theme music…)

ANNOUNCER: We take you now to Kermit the Frog with another fast-breaking news story!

(The scene fades to Kermit the Frog in a park setting of some sort, talking to someone off camera as usual…)

KERMIT: …you know I don’t know why anyone would want a frog as a pet. Confined to an aquarium in someone’s room… (shudders, then realizes he’s on camera) Oh, OH! Uh, hi-ho, Kermit the Frog here for Sesame Street News, reporting to you today from the city park on the nursery rhyme “The Little Dog.” If you recall the nursery rhyme, it goes “Oh where oh where has my little dog gone? Oh where oh where can he be? With his ears so short and his tail so long, oh where oh where can he be?” And over that way is the owner of the missing little dog… (the camera briefly cuts over to Marty (the Large Lavender Live Hand boy) sobbing with a handkerchief) …and we’re going to interview him to see if there are any details.

(Kermit walks over to the crying Marty…)

KERMIT: Uh, pardon me, little boy…

MARTY: (blows his nose) My name is Marty, and I’m not feeling so hot right now.

KERMIT: Is it because of your lost little dog?

MARTY: Yes! Last I heard, he was spotted somewhere in this park. I’ve had no luck trying to find him!

KERMIT: Well, maybe the crew and I at Sesame Street News can help find your little dog.

MARTY: Oh! You mean my lost dog has become big news? And I’m on TV? (waves at the camera, feeling better) Hi, mom! (back to Kermit) Yes, maybe now I’ll be able to find my little dog!

KERMIT: Glad to hear you thinking positive now, and… hark! There’s a dog coming up right now!

MARTY: My dog? My dog?

(We see the dog; it’s Baskerville! His ears are very long, and his tail is short. He runs around yipping happily.)

MARTY: No! That’s not my dog! (feels sad again) Oh, where oh where can he be?

KERMIT: You mean that’s not your dog?

MARTY: Of course not! That dog has long ears and a short tail, while my dog has short ears and a long tail. Also, my dog doesn’t wear glasses.

(Baskerville walks off, feeling dejected.)

KERMIT: There you go, folks. A clue to finding Marty’s dog, as the rhyme said: “With his ears so short and his tail so long.” (barking is heard off-screen) I hear another dog approaching; maybe this is him!

MARTY: Could it be?

(This dog is the small brown one that was also used as Moe Cocker and Watson; he has long ears and a long tail. The dog barks quite a bit.)

MARTY: Ohh, that’s not my dog either! He has a long tail, but his ears are long too! (resumes crying)

(The brown dog cocks his head in a “never mind” fashion and walks off.)

KERMIT: Aw, don’t cry Marty, there must be lots of dogs in this park, and your dog is bound to be one of them! (notices something off-camera) Uh Marty, I see yet another dog coming.

MARTY: (stops crying again) My dog? Oh, I hope it’s my little dog!

KERMIT: (to the camera) Maybe the third time’s the charm?

(This dog is a tan-colored terrier, the same puppet used for Terry Terrier. He has small short ears and a short tail. He gives a single bark.)

KERMIT: Sheesh…

MARTY: That’s not my dog! Once again, that’s not my dog. See, his ears are so short, but his tail is so short too! I’m never going to find my little dog! Never! (buries his head in his hands and sobs again)

(The terrier howls sadly and walks off, dejected.)

KERMIT: This seems much harder than I thought it would be. May as well wrap things up. (to camera) Well ladies and gentlemen, this is Kermit the Frog returning you to…

(Barking is heard again, and Marty stops crying and perks up, seeming really excited this time.)

MARTY: That’s him! That’s gotta be my dog! I know that bark anywhere!

KERMIT: (to the camera) Hold everything! Keep the cameras rolling, I think we got something here! (to Marty) Are you sure that it’s your dog this time?

MARTY: Yes! Here he comes! Look at him!

(The dog comes up to them; it resembles the puppet used for Dawg the Dog. He barks happily, wagging his long tail and panting; we see he has short ears as well.)

MARTY: My dog! My little dog! We found you! (he hugs the dog, whom licks his face) Oh, little doggie, I thought I’d lost you forever!

KERMIT: Aww, isn’t that sweet? Looks like all is well, and… hmm?

(Kermit notices Baskerville, Moe Cocker/Watson and the Terrier sniffing Kermit.)

KERMIT: Uh, what are you dogs doing? I’m not your owner. Now shoo!

(The three dogs begin barking and chasing Kermit, whom yelps and tries to run from them.)

KERMIT: Uh, stop! Down! Heel, dogs! I have nothing to do with you! (to camera) Uh, this is Kermit the Frog returning you to your regularly-scheduled program, and trying to avoid these crazy dogs! AAH! (runs from the three dogs, whom continue to chase him)

MARTY: (calling to Kermit) Thanks for helping find my dog, Kermit! (goes back to petting and rubbing his dog) I’m so glad you’re safe, little doggie…

(As a brief instrumental version of “The Little Dog” song plays, the dog happily licks Marty again…)

END

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I love it! Yes it does sound like something they would have done on the show.