Sesame Workshop looking for Diverse Puppeteers to Join Puppeteering Workshop in 2018

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Official press release from Sesame's website:
"Sesame Workshop is looking for highly talented puppeteers, age 18 and over, from diverse communities and racial backgrounds who are looking to develop and hone their on-camera puppeteer skills. As a company that advocates diversity, we recognize the importance of representation both on and off-screen, so that children of all backgrounds can see themselves in the content they consume. If you are familiar with the Sesame Street style of television puppetry, have the basic skills, and are interested in the opportunity to participate in a future puppeteer workshop in New York City, please apply as directed below:

1. Make a short video (1:30 MAX) showcasing your talents as a puppeteer following these guidelines:

• Introduce the video as yourself.
  • Enter and exit frame with your puppet (it’s helpful if the puppet you use has good eye focus) showing a variety of character voices (2-3 minimum). Please note: we want to see your original character voices, not existing Sesame Street character voices.
  • Finish your video with a short song…we would like to hear you sing!
2. Upload your video to YouTube (Private setting) and send that YouTube link along with your bio and a signed copy of the attached release to: puppetworkshops@sesame.org

Please note: your submission will not be reviewed without the signed release.

No emails or videos will be accepted after December 31, 2017. We will contact you with more details only if you are selected.

Please note that acceptance into and/or participation in a Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop is in no way an employment audition for Sesame Street or any Sesame Workshop production."

Hey, whaddya know! I'm an 18 year old puppeteer with a diverse racial background :excited:. The chances of getting in are incredibly slim, but i'd be stupid not to try, and I advise all you eligible people to do the same. While it's not an audition for the show, the workshops can help you improve your skills, work with other puppeteers, take a trip to New York (if you don't already live there), and meet Matt Vogel and Martin P. Robinson! Heck, you'll probably get to see some of the Muppets they use on the show in person. And maybe, if you stand out, one day you might get a call to work on the show, or in specials, or in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. You never know. :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This would be a great opportunity for someone like you! A friend of mine also with a diverse racial background was lucky enough to be selected to attend the 2013 workshop they had, so if I were you, I wouldn't pass this this up!

BobbyBenson64

Reaction score
This would be a great opportunity for someone like you! A friend of mine also with a diverse racial background was lucky enough to be selected to attend the 2013 workshop they had, so if I were you, I wouldn't pass this this up!
Hey D'Snowth, you applied last time and I was wondering if you remember how long after the applications being sent in did the workshop start

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't, I was among those who were turned down. Seems like I recall the workshop itself was in February, and I think I sent in my submission maybe the previous September or October or so . . . but it was "first come, first serve" kind of thing, so I'm sure the sooner you send in a submission, the better your chances are they'll actually take a look at it.

BobbyBenson64

Reaction score
They're closed now, I know they've at least seen my email because I didn't send the video correctly :embarrassed: but they said it was cool. I'm not super confident that I'll get in but it's worth a shot. But that's about a 4ish month gap, cool thanks a lot

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
UGH, I was so busy in December that I ran out of time to send anything in!
Oh well, there will be other opportunities :smirk:. In the mean time, i'm going to start posting more puppet videos on YouTube to improve my skills and hopefully get connected to other puppeteers. I'd really love to have a performing partner though.

CrUnChO76

Reaction score
They're closed now, I know they've at least seen my email because I didn't send the video correctly :embarrassed: but they said it was cool. I'm not super confident that I'll get in but it's worth a shot. But that's about a 4ish month gap, cool thanks a lot
Good luck! Sent mine too :smile:

rtgentry

Reaction score
I sent one in as well, wondering when those selected will hear back from them.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Some folks have apparently herd back from SW about this, so if you submitted something, I'd check your email.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Didn't get in, but my audition video did get around 20 views. That definitely says it was looked at multiple times. Hey, I'm on the right track!

Alas, cuts had to be made to reach the limit of attendees. Maybe I'll get into the next one, which I'd imagine will be about four or so years down the road. Plenty of time to keep practicing!