Stephanie D'Abruzzo responds about Caroll Spinney

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've had that same concern lingering in the back of my mind for a long time now, which is why I knew if I didn't take the opportunity to meet him at the Knoxville Fanboy Expo when I did, I'd probably never have that opportunity ever again. Yes, he seemed to be in poor shape; yes, his voice was soft; yes, he struggled to sign my 40 years book; yes, Debbie finished a lot of his sentences for him; yes, Debbie pushed him around in a wheelchair; yes, his handshake was weak . . . but at least I got to meet him in person, face-to-face, and tell him what an inspiration he's been to me as a puppeteer, and how much I thank him for that (which he also thanked me in return), and even give him some artwork as a gift. It's been two months since that day, but I'm still geeking out about it, because it was the biggest highlight of my sad Muppety existence.

Like everyone else, I don't want anything to happen to him, and I hate to think about the possibility of losing him, but it's a reality we all have to face - just as we did with Jerry Nelson: we knew he was living on borrowed time, so while it was still sad that he passed on, it wasn't surprising. I know Caroll said he wanted to at least hold on until Season 50 - let's all hope that he can; that'd make Season 50 all the more special.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Michael Earl followed afterwards, what with his battle with prostate cancer.

Seeing his Facebook posts mentioning his health deteriorating and his time coming to the end of the road definitely made me teary eyed, and it's deaths like his that make me scared of becoming diagnosed with cancer.

gravy

Reaction score
But alas, when the day does come, we can always remember his wonderful performances.
I know I may sound morbid (and I apologize if I am), but I don't think that he's going to be around for much longer unfortunately. :frown:
We all know it's going to be, sadly, very soon. But we can all still know and appreciate that we got to exist at the same time and breathe the same air that Caroll did.

And hopefully we'll all get to see him at the raspberries someday.

zns

Reaction score
In

Yeah I've noticed he's been doing many cons lately. He still takes the time to draw Big Bird for fans. Again he's 83. But with his dystonia it's up and down. Sometimes he'll struggle more, sometimes he'll have more energy. It really depends. But either way he's still keeping active which is important. Still attending cons, still visiting the set, going to plays, drawing, making appearances with Oscar, public speaking, etc. He's slower but most people in their eighties are. He's essentially retired but I'm sure he'll be involved in the 50th anniversary with his fellow muppeteers. Also remember he's getting honoured at the Henson event this Spring.
It's been a while since I've posted. This is how I choose to look at the situation. As hard as it is for Him to get around because of his age, it's obvious he's not throwing in the towel just yet. Jerry Nelson continued to work from the sidelines when he was getting on in years and I believe that Caroll will continue to do the same as long as he is able to. And most importantly, he has the love of his life Debra with him.

OscarandTelly

Reaction score
We still have yet to hear him this year. So far 6 episodes have aired and its been Matt and Eric performing :wisdom::grouchy:

BEAR 2

Reaction score
I think it’s great he’s holding on and that SW is holding onto him for as long as they can in any regard. They are going to start shooting season 50 soon. So with just a little stretch more, his wish will be fulfilled.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Even if Caroll isn't Big Bird and Oscar anymore, they could have him make an in-person cameo just like they did in season 40.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
I actually think Matt’s Bird voice is fine. It used to bug me when I’d watch Journey to Ernie segments, but it was because he was only doing those with Carroll still doing the other stuff. So 2 different voices threw me. Now I’m used to it and I actually hear Matt’s more often. His voice kinda makes Big Bird sound a little more mature. I always thought that once Elmo became so prominent, Big Bird seemed to shift into an older brother kind of role, especially with Elmo. He aged to maybe 7 or 8. He sort of reminds me of my nephew who is 7.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Well to fully be honest Peter Linz hasn’t had a main character before 2011, so it’s great he’s getting a lot of characters now.
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but as far as Muppet productions go, he performed Tutter on Bear in the Big Blue House. Doesn't that count?