Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Much was I disappointed upon learning that the little packet for Nantucket had already sailed, and that no way of reaching that place would offer, till the following Monday.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
As most young candidates for the pains and penalties of whaling stop at this same New Bedford, thence to embark on their voyage, it may as well be related that I, for one, had no idea of so doing.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
For my mind was made up to sail in no other than a Nantucket craft, because there was a fine boisterous something about everything connected with that famous old island, which amazingly pleased me.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Besides though New Bedford has of late been gradually monopolising the business of whaling, and though in this matter poor old Nantucket is now much behind her, yet Nantucket was her great original -- the Tyre of this Carthage; -- the place where the first dead American whale was stranded.

Late December back in '63?
Given it was published in 1851 I rather doubt that.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Where else but from Nantucket did those aboriginal whalemen, the Red-Men, first sally out in canoes to give chase to the Leviathan?

Old Thunder

Reaction score
And where but from Nantucket, too, did that first adventurous little sloop put forth, partly laden with imported cobble-stones -- so goes the story -- to throw at the whales, in order to discover when they were nigh enough to risk a harpoon from the bowsprit?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And where but from Nantucket, too, did that first adventurous little sloop put forth, partly laden with imported cobble-stones -- so goes the story -- to throw at the whales, in order to discover when they were nigh enough to risk a harpoon from the bowsprit?
What happens in Nantucket, stays in Nantucket

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Now having a night, a day, and still another night, following before me in New Bedford, ere I could embark for my destined port, it became a matter of concernment where I was to eat and sleep meanwhile.