Thoughts on sponsors

Luke kun

Reaction score
Well where was Nader when Franco American lied about canned nitrane meat and salty pasta being healthy and saying that it "helped kids learn" through "a healthy serving of vegetables and as much calcium as a glass of milk"? Where was Nader when Pfizer pushed drugs before a kids show? Where was Nader when Lipton tried to disguise a commercial for their salty soup powder as a "game" before Clifford? Hey Lipton Noodle Soups, Nader wants to use HIS noodle! Where was Nader when Rhodes put out that cinnamon roll ad before Arthur? WHERE WAS HE?! He has to complain that McDonalds is the Devil and that Ronald McHitler is brainwashing kids through Sesame Street, when the ads featured nothing but Ronald's offscreen hand! ****, even the "Ran Ran Ruu" ads would be acceptable for a sponsor plug if they were localized! If Nader complained, we could have taken out the "hamburger" parts! (And this is coming from someone who LIKES McDonalds.)

Nader should have done something with Chuck E. Cheese 'cuz PBS relies on THAT to fund their children's programming. You know it's wrong when CEC got intrusive with Free Birds!

And SS only wanted the Egg Board so they could do a "where eggs come from" insert. :rolleyes::stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well where was Nader when Franco American lied about canned nitrane meat and salty pasta being healthy and saying that it "helped kids learn" through "a healthy serving of vegetables and as much calcium as a glass of milk"? Where was Nader when Pfizer pushed drugs before a kids show? Where was Nader when Lipton tried to disguise a commercial for their salty soup powder as a "game" before Clifford? Hey Lipton Noodle Soups, Nader wants to use HIS noodle! Where was Nader when Rhodes put out that cinnamon roll ad before Arthur? WHERE WAS HE?! He has to complain that McDonalds is the Devil and that Ronald McHitler is brainwashing kids through Sesame Street, when the ads featured nothing but Ronald's offscreen hand! ****, even the "Ran Ran Ruu" ads would be acceptable for a sponsor plug if they were localized! If Nader complained, we could have taken out the "hamburger" parts! (And this is coming from someone who LIKES McDonalds.)
I'm no fan of Nader. Not for splitting the vote back in 2000, and certainly not for this.

The issue is that PBS needed money and sponsorship for these shows. That's pretty much why the HBO deal went down with Sesame Street. Nader took a cheap crusade of "fast food BAD!" instead of looking deeper and saying "if you parental groups want to remove the influence of commercials during kids' television give that money to PBS to keep the shows ad free." Nope. Easy "Fast Food makes you fat" (YOU THINK!?! Is that why it's not referred to as "Mother's Milk?") Yet, the rest of those things advertised as "sponsors" often not even bothering with a veil got a pass.

Of course, there were always some level of sponsors since the 80's. We all know the foundations they mention, so there were always those. They had some local companies, but they were mentioned or given a less than 10 second spot. It's not until the 90's when the sponsorship turned into long, commercial breaks before and after the show. Yet no one said a thing about it.

Luke kun

Reaction score
I don't understand why SS has to be sponsored by mainstream companies when most of their money comes from the pledge drives PBS does. Heck, at the end of SS VHSes they used to have a screen about donating and "thanks for helping" (this text is shown on some other SS products). If people actually DONATED, Ralph Nader wouldn't go crazy over McD's sponsoring.

What a load.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't understand why SS has to be sponsored by mainstream companies when most of their money comes from the pledge drives PBS does.
Oh, man.

They kinda don't get pledge drive money anymore. Or at least enough of it to keep the show afloat. I doubt they'd need at least 4 or 5 corporate sponsors if PBS actually used viewers like you're money for their kid's programming. I needn't add that pledge drives have devolved into a cesspool of bad self help guru infomercials and nostalgia based music shows that seem to say "Hey Baby Boomers! Screw your kids and grandkids. We got you bro. hen you kick the bucket, you can give us your money."

Sesame Street wouldn't have desperately needed HBO funding if PBS was giving them that much scratch. Put it that way.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Do you think I should be running over to the PBS office with all of my money screaming "PULL THE SPONSORS FROM SESAME STREET!"?

ASD Mind

Reaction score
Has any body heard the full version of the Funky Chimes music on Muppet Central Radio yet? Wish I could listen to it.

crackmaster

Reaction score
nostalgia based music shows that seem to say "Hey Baby Boomers! Screw your kids and grandkids. We got you bro. hen you kick the bucket, you can give us your money."
My autistic brother loves those music shows and watches them all the time at 8 pm on a local channel that airs nothing but infomercials.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
When I first saw this thread, I was led to believe it had to do with the letter and number sponsors per episode.

But the sponsors in this thread were referring to companies that sponsored the show, as in funded. I never saw any such sponsor plugs as I discontinued watching the show midway through Season 16 due to having outgrown the show.