'Transformers' Rolling Out in Live-Action Film

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Gonzo said:
Check and check.
Good attitude to have.
:stick_out_tongue:
Quinnnnnnnnnnnn
I know, I'm such a pessimist. I can't help it. It's the Boober in me.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
The intellectual side of me says I shouldn't like a show built around the merchandising, but I must admit I have a nostalgic affection for the show. Thanks for posting this, Jamie!

I also hope they use the "classic" characters -- Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee, Shockwave, etc. in their original incarnations. (Extra points for Buster Witwicky.) When they moved the setting to the near future and introduced all those new characters, starting with the 1986 movie -- that was when the show jumped the shark for me.

Jedi Frog

Reaction score
Chilly Down said:
The intellectual side of me says I shouldn't like a show built around the merchandising, but I must admit I have a nostalgic affection for the show. Thanks for posting this, Jamie!

I also hope they use the "classic" characters -- Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee, Shockwave, etc. in their original incarnations. (Extra points for Buster Witwicky.) When they moved the setting to the near future and introduced all those new characters, starting with the 1986 movie -- that was when the show jumped the shark for me.

It has been confirmed that the Movie will be based on original G1 characters.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/06/13/transformer.film.ap/index.html

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
In case you don't want to go to CNN, here's the article:

Geek-fave 'Transformers' seek film deal
Friday, June 13, 2003 Posted: 9:18 AM EDT (1318 GMT)

Features a photo of Cyclonus, one of Hasbro's Transformer robots.

We figured the technology had finally caught up to the point where we could actually show an 18-wheel truck turning into a giant robot.
-- Don Murphy, film producer

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The shape-shifting "Transformer" robots from the 1980s may soon be using 20-something nostalgia to fuel a Hollywood movie.

The Hasbro toy company has teamed with the production company Angry Films to create a live-action version of the popular cartoon series that ran from 1984 to 1987, about a group of alien robots who disguise themselves on Earth as common vehicles.

"The basic thing is that if you've been going to the comic-book festivals and seeing all that stuff, the '80s kind of came back last year in a huge way," Angry Films producer Don Murphy said.

Based on original lineup
The story of "The Transformers" centers on a war between two mechanized armies -- the heroic Autobots, led by the red tractor-trailer Optimus Prime, and the evil Decepticons, ruled by the gigantic silver gun Megatron. Seeking new sources of energy, both factions crash-land on Earth.

Although the "Transformers" toys have changed over the years -- from animal shapes to the current series of futuristic machines -- Murphy said the movie would be based on the original lineup.

The 1980s Hasbro toys, which the cartoon helped turn into a money-machine for the company, have recently been reissued by the original Japanese manufacturer, Takara Co. A recent comic book based on "The Transformers" and a DVD of the original cartoon series have also become best sellers.

Murphy and his producing partner, Tom DeSanto, whose credits include "X-Men" and "X2: X-Men United," are still in the early stages of the "Transformers" movie. The project has not yet settled at a studio and no potential release date has been set.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
You're really broken up about that car, aren't yu foz?
In the worst way!

My poor mom can't live it down either, and it seems that just when I don't think about it any more, I see one JUST LIKE IT!! No joke!

I can't get away from it--it's...HAUNTING ME!!

Thijs

Reaction score
Good news that the movie will be based on the old ones.

Sourpus

Reaction score
But who will play Starscream? You can't have the Transformers without Starscream. That's like a sandwich without bread. Sadly, Chris Latta, the voice behind our favorite paranoid delusional chunk of metal and woefully inept Cobra Commander, passed away a few years ago. Might I suggest AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson? I heard Thunderstruck on the radio the other day and the frst thing I thought was "When did Starscream get a recording contract?"

FellowWLover

Reaction score
I am laughing alright, Mr. Quinn, and it might be at your Metro, your drawing, or this silly back and forth about Probes and stick shifts... but you will never know which, *will* you?

:confused: :stick_out_tongue: :confused: