How is Sweetums controlled?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by SuprGro78
I helped zip John into that costume once. He doesn't use any arms to control the head. Both of sweetums arms are his arms. The head is controlled by a strap that goes under his chin.
That has got to be an awful strain. Even if that mouth were as little as two pounds, it's gotta hurt! He must have a very distinguished chin. :big_grin:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear you are so lucky to have had an experience like that. I wouldnt be able to believe it if that happened to me! they are great photos, I wish I could have gone to that muppet fest!

:smile: :stick_out_tongue:

Splurge

Reaction score
I think that in the John Cleese episode, when Sweetums sings with Robin, Richard uses his arm to operate Sweetums' mouth to sing. When he dances during the instrumental, I think he quickly switches from his mouth to his right arm.

It's been a long, long time since I've seen that bit. How close am I to the mark?

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Im very sure that when Richard performed Sweetums he switched one arm from mouth to right arm.

see ya

SuprGro78

Reaction score
Lord knows I have never been in the costume so I have no idea, but when I Zipped him in the costume he was wearing a shirt, the overshirt with all the burlapy stuff that gets tied like a belt and he put the gloves on himself, they were not attached to the arms of the costume. If he had to take his arm out of the glove it would fall off or Sweetums would have no hand at that moment. Also when he would put the head on he used both hands and to take it off he used both hands. There could be something going on inside the head, but it really looked like a sports helmet inside.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
It could be that they have changed the way he's operated since the days of TMS.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Splurge said:
His eyelids, eye-pupils or both?
I have no idea. I just heard that somewhere on the forum. But I would think that it's both.
BTW Splurge you are right about what you said about the John Cleese episode.