The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Honestly when it comes to marriage, there are only really 2 lady friends of mine I wouldn't mind having as a wife.... And they barely live close to me anyway.

Otherwise I definitely could live a life being by myself.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So, I was watching the Conga Counting song on YouTube (uploaded from yours truly), and it made me think.... How many wooden playgrounds are left?

Even as an adult, I hate seeing them demolished. Stupid soccer mom's.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
So, I was watching the Conga Counting song on YouTube (uploaded from yours truly), and it made me think.... How many wooden playgrounds are left?

Even as an adult, I hate seeing them demolished. Stupid soccer mom's.
Wooden playgrounds? Listen here, kiddo. In my ancient youth playgrounds were made out of metal. Anchored to concrete!

You haven't lived until your butt rode down a metal slide on a hot sunny day. Or climbing on a metal jungle gym. Or riding a metal seesaw. Yet somehow, Generation X survived. Maybe that toughened us up.

The coolest thing, our school where I went until second grade, on the playground was a slide that was a good 15 feet high. Metal, of course. But they put a layer of Teflon on it so you really got some speed. At the bottom, the edge was turned up so you went flying off the slide and caught some serious air time. And you broke your fall landing in a big mound of dust. Guaranteed to dirty your pants.
Even better, after it rained it turned to mud!!!
Down the slide, wheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Three seconds in the air, defying gravity, then your butt lands in the mud.

After recess, teachers hated the mess it made, but you couldn't wipe the grins off our faces.

See, Skippy? We knew how to have fun! Now pick up your phone and get off my lawn! 8)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I definitely remember the days of going down a metal slide on a hot summer day. I can still remember getting f those annoying shocks as well.

cjd874

Reaction score
Wooden playgrounds? Listen here, kiddo. In my ancient youth playgrounds were made out of metal. Anchored to concrete!

You haven't lived until your butt rode down a metal slide on a hot sunny day. Or climbing on a metal jungle gym. Or riding a metal seesaw. Yet somehow, Generation X survived. Maybe that toughened us up.

The coolest thing, our school where I went until second grade, on the playground was a slide that was a good 15 feet high. Metal, of course. But they put a layer of Teflon on it so you really got some speed. At the bottom, the edge was turned up so you went flying off the slide and caught some serious air time. And you broke your fall landing in a big mound of dust. Guaranteed to dirty your pants.
Even better, after it rained it turned to mud!!!
Down the slide, wheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Three seconds in the air, defying gravity, then your butt lands in the mud.

After recess, teachers hated the mess it made, but you couldn't wipe the grins off our faces.

See, Skippy? We knew how to have fun! Now pick up your phone and get off my lawn! 8)
I grew up at the turn of the millennium, when there were still metal slides, tire swings, and sand in every playground. Then due to safety concerns (and kids who threw sand everywhere), the slides became plastic and the sand was replaced with wood chips, which kids still threw around.

Did anybody's playgrounds have those climbing tunnels that were in Big Bird's nest? I wish that my playground had them...it would have felt a bit more like Sesame Street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The playgrounds I played on had no sand or wood chips, instead, we had those brown pebbles that'd get in your shoes if you ran too carelessly.

Usually, wooden playground sets were for backyards.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
the playground i lived near had that...rubber stuff. I guess its better than wood chips but it was like falling on a tire. It hurt. Pretty sure it was actually recycled tire bits

it also had one of the most painful water sprinklers you could play in. It was just a big arch in the middle of the playground that sprayed water. it was supposed to spray like a mist, but it was so pressurized that it just shot stinging jets of water at you.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I dunno how many of y'all watched adult swim back in the day, but um....

I remember seeing this bad *** promo when I first started 6th grade at my new school. (Having to wake up at 5 in the morning was brutal).

But man, this definitely introduced me to Full Metal Alchemist. And honestly, it reminds me of something.

Remember when Cartoon Network itself used to show anime? Dragonball, Pokemon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, One Piece, etc. Some of it being shown on Toonami, but man. It feels like ever since Toonami kicked the bucket in late 2008 before being moved over to adult swim, it's like all the anime went bye bye as well. And the only time anime is ever shown on its late night program adult swim, it's only on Toonami on Saturdays.

Half of adult swim's shows now are just syndicated Fox shows along with shows that need to end (*cough* Squidbillies and Robot Chicken *cough*), some weird live action stuff and Rick and Morty. Practically the only good original on there now.