The New New Quote Thread

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
ROMANA: You're sulking.
DOCTOR: I'm not sulking.
ROMANA: That's ridiculous for somebody as old as you are.
DOCTOR: I'm not old. What?
ROMANA: Seven hundred and fifty nine?
DOCTOR: Seven hundred and fifty six. That's not old, that's just mature.
ROMANA: You've lost count somewhere.
DOCTOR: Well, I ought to know my own age.
ROMANA: Yes, but after the first few centuries, I expect things get a little bit foggy, don't they.
DOCTOR: Now, listen. It's no good, this isn't going to work.
ROMANA: Doctor, you're not giving me a chance. It's funny, you know, but before I met you, I was even willing to be impressed.
DOCTOR: Indeed.
ROMANA: Oh yes. Of course, now I realise that your behaviour simply derives from a subtransitory experiential hypertoid induced condition, aggravated, I expect, by multi-encephalogical tensions.
DOCTOR: What's that supposed to mean?
ROMANA: Well, to put it very simply, Doctor, you're suffering from a massive compensation syndrome.
DOCTOR: Is that the sort of rubbish they're pouring into your head at the Academy?
ROMANA: Do you know, I might even use your case in my thesis when I'm back on Gallifrey.
DOCTOR: I'll show you whether I'm suffering from a massive compensation syndrome. And you're not going back to Gallifrey, not for a long time yet, I regret to say. Read out those coordinates again.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
JD Hansel: I had a rant about the Dark Crystal saying, I have nothing against people who prefer Dark Crystal over Labyrinth, I can appreciate that, but what I wanna know is how? How is it possible to like the Dark Crystal over Labyrinth? I know people do it and that's fine but, I don't get the mechanics of that cause it's the Dark Crystal.
Steve Swanson: Yeah, it's 90 minutes of just weirdness without much of a direction or story.
JD: There's just so little there. It's just a Gelfling needs to put a crystal shard in a crystal and he does it and there you go. There's nothing to say to Dark Crystal. But then there's Labyrinth, and I can write a book on Labyrinth.
Steve: Yeah, Labyrinth is a movie. Here's the difference: Labyrinth is a movie, the Dark Crystal is an art project.
JD: It's an arts and crafts project. I really wanna start a lecture series on Labyrinth, because you could go on and on about all the depth and detail that's there. It's not that Dark Crystal isn't detailed, it's detailed in its own ways, just in ways that don't matter. Labyrinth is detailed in ways that can have you writing whole philosophy books. When David Bowie as the Goblin King is saying "Do as I say and I will be your slave", how is that any different from any addiction? When you look at things that way, Labyrinth becomes this wonderful, beautiful commentary on that.
Steve: Here's what I don't understand about the Dark Crystal though: Jim Henson didn't completely come up with Sesame Street, but many of the things we love about Sesame came from the mind of Jim and his group, I love the Muppet Show, great characters, wonderful skits, there's hardly a bad episode of the Muppet Show I think we can safely say.
JD: Well, except for the first season, but that's not the point.
Steve: Uh, right. Tales from Muppetland, great series of specials, Muppet Musicians of Bremen, the Frog Prince, you got Emmett Otter, the Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper all those, and then you got the Dark Crystal which came from the same guy! And it's like how? Why? I will say this: Jim made Dark Crystal a better movie than any other person on Earth who would have made it. Because it was Jim, it was really creative, fantastic sets amazing art direction, all that kinda stuff. It's just when you put the whole recipe together and cook it, it doesn't give me and it sounds like it doesn't give you a satisfying result. Now some people love it and that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but for me it doesn't work. But if Stephen Spielberg made Dark Crystal, it wouldn't be as good as Jim's Dark Crystal.
JD: Yet when Spielberg made ET around the same time that destroyed Dark Crystal at the box office.
Steve: Well, with that having been said, I think Dark Crystal is a lesser project than Jim's Muppet projects, even things like the Jim Henson Hour, all those things were still really good in comparison to Dark Crystal. Gosh, if anyone's listening right now, they're getting really mad at us if they like Dark Crystal.
JD: I know. Although, in all fairness, I do like the Dark Crystal, I just don't understand how to love it because, it's lacking in something.
Steve: Right. If a bunch of Muppet fans got together and said "Let's watch Dark Crystal", I would not say no. I've been to screenings of Dark Crystal and it's been fun. It's just not what I would choose.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can."

- Neil Gaiman.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
JD Hansel: In some ways, we can be thankful for when Jim made Dark Crystal, because around the time that was coming out, you had stuff like Great Muppet Caper coming out or Muppets Go to the Movies. So you had a lot of good Muppet stuff coming out around the same time, and you knew there was more to come and Fraggle Rock was in production, but if you get to the last 3 years of Jim's life, the problem with watching stuff from that time period is there's a 50\50 chance that what you're gonna see is a horrible example of the works of Jim Henson.
Steve Swanson laughs: Oh no. What?!
JD: It's true. Let's focus on the Henson Hour: You might get lucky and see Dog City, Song of the Cloud Forest, the Storyteller or Secrets of the Muppets, or you might get unlucky and see literally anything else from the Jim Henson Hour.
Steve laughs: Oh, come on! I did a whole series on that, I like the JHH!
JD: Okay, I'm sorry. Another example: Regarding Muppet stuff at Disney World, you might get lucky and see MuppetVision 3D, or you might get unlucky and see the live shows that the walk-arounds did at Disney.
Steve: Okay, but for the time those were pretty good.
JD: I'm pretty sure people were really eager to see those go away pretty much after the first month they were there.
Steve: Okay, but if that was the only Muppet thing in the parks and you didn't have MV 3D as an alternative to go to, would you not stand and watch sir?
JD: I would, but I'd wish I could go see a cool 3D show with the Muppets and cool animatronics and stuff.
Steve: But you had no idea that was coming!
JD: That's not the point. Another thing: You might see something cool like, Jim Henson predicting that videos shot by people at home was gonna be one of the leading forms of media that you would watch. You might be lucky and see something like that or you might get unlucky and see his Little Mermaid TV show. A puppet show based on Disney's Little Mermaid. Have you seen clips of that?
Steve: No I haven't. Where did you find that? Is it online?
JD: What do you think? Henson Rarities is the one who posted it.
Steve: But I don't think that's around right now. I think it got taken down again.
JD: Hold on, lemmie see.
Steve: I think it's only up in the odd numbered months, I don't know exactly how that works, but I think it's gone for now again.
JD: Let's see if it's up.
Steve: I love that channel, but it gets some much attention...
JD: Oh, it's down right now.
Steve: Yeah, the powers that be tend to take it down a lot.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When Charlie Brown and Linus learn that Linus's friend Janice has cancer. . . .

CHARLIE BROWN: Are you going to die?
LINUS: Good grief, Charlie Brown! What kind of question is that?!
YOUTUBE: OMG! Charlie Brown is such an insensitive little b@$+@rd!!! How could he ask such a question like that?!
ME: He's just a little kid! Little kids don't know much about cancer other than people die from it! He's just asking a question any little kid would ask someone they know who has cancer!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
After discussing the fact that Dark Crystal is getting a Netflix series.
Steve Swanson: Do you like Dark Crystal?
JD Hansel: Yes.
Steve: Oh, okay. I do not.
JD: I consider it to be one of my favorite movies.
Steve: You... wow! Really? I learned something about JD today. I didn't watch it as a child growing up, the first time I watched DC was the time I watched it to review it for the MuppetCast. And at the time, it was okay, but it didn't wow me the same way Labyrinth wowed me, or the Muppet Movie or Emmett Otter. It didn't wow me the way the Muppet Musicians of Bremen wowed me. But at the same time, it's an interesting movie because I appreciate puppetry. And I think people like DC more than I do because it's a feat of magnificence for puppetry. Jim Henson and Brian Froud created a planet, a culture, species of organic lifeforms that didn't exist before, and that's really amazing. They just forgot to write a story around it! It's not compelling for me, and I've seen it in the theater with people who love DC, and for me it's more fun to watch it with people who really like it, but if it's just me, I'm gonna put on Labyrinth a million times before I'd put on DC. So getting more of that story, I'm not sure how you can amp up what was already there.
JD: I give DC a hard time a lot, because it's fun to give DC a hard time, but I'd seen it at least twice by the time I was 14. That gives you a rough idea of my familiarity with it.
Steve: I'm surprised your mother let you watch that, became my mom didn't let me watch DC when I was a kid.
JD: Well, this was after I was 11 or 12. By that point, my mom had so many children that the idea of actually keeping an eye on them didn't seem very feasible. Most of the shows I wasn't allowed to watch were exactly what I found my younger siblings watching when they were teeny, and I couldn't believe it but that's just how life works for most parents. By the time I was 12, I was allowed to watch DC and Labyrinth, because it was Jim Henson project so my parents thought "Oh, it's kids stuff like Sesame Street. I'll put this on for my kids". When I first saw Labyrinth, I walked out of the movie for a bathroom break and I noticed that my knees were shaking. I didn't realize I was that scared, but it was just chilling. Both Labyrinth and DC were chilling. I always found Labyrinth to be more eery and creepy than DC. The crumbling effect of the emperor feels too fake to me. I love that effect but it doesn't scare me.
Steve: See, even when I was 30 years old watching that for the first time, I was going "Oh, that is creepy". And the Podlings, cute little potatoes that get the life force sucked outta them.
JD: Okay, the Podlings draining of the essence scared me. But the reason I really like it is for someone whose imagination was still developing, DC was really inspirational because, sure it has a very simple cliche story. It has a story, it just doesn't feel like it has one because, the story it has is the basic structure for more interesting and distinct stories. It's because I got used to movies like this that deal with simple concepts, but used them to explore an aesthetic that you could get lost in, that I was able to look at a movie like Legend and appreciate it. Does Legend have a story? No. Is it even a very good movie? Probably not, but the aesthetic is something I can really get into and gets my creative juices flowing, and there are few movies today that do that. So DC is a credit to Jim Henson's imagination and his ability to get other people using their imaginations.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You can have your own opinion,
But you can't have your own facts.