New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Once this is actually officially confirmed, I'm going to be treating this new series with extremely cautious optimism. I learned my lesson from last time.

This is a 'needs further investigation' case for the time being....

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
As one of the fans who disliked the 2015 series, I hope they start over with a clean slate. Only time will tell, I guess.
As someone who did like the show in 2015 I don't know what I want. I don't want a reboot of the 2015 show ora remake of the original Mupper show. So I'm nervous about what it's gonna be like.

But if they tried muppets tonight again with kermit as host it be ok with that

Rugratskid

Reaction score
I have no idea what I want from The Muppets anymore. It's clear to me that most screenwriters don't know what made them an icon to begin with, which is why (in my personal opinion), the reboots almost always flop. I've all but given up hope on a fantastic Muppet project (one that's not Most Wanted, that is) - let's hope that dream can be envisioned.

"High School Musical reboot" *cringe intensifies*

Truth be told, I have a major soft spot for HSM, but no - leave it be. There's a reason it ended where it did; to not outstay it's welcome (to those who enioyed it), but also offer a decent ending. No Vanessa Hudgens = no sale. Efron, I could live without.

Speaking of, why no Gabriella & Sharpay spinoff? That's probably the only reboot I could ever see working.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Well, I'm not surprise that they're going to be on the streaming service this time. But, I'm happy that Disney care for The Muppets even though Muppets Most Wanted and The Muppets TV Show sadly didn't do well. Let's hope they have a better luck on Disney Streaming Service.

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
I'm actually really excited for this. It does show that Disney does still care for The Muppets and this is a smart move. Especially since we now have Muppet Babies coming out next month as well.

I'm not sure if I want the Muppet Show 2.0 or something different. I'm still one of the people that still defends the 2015 show and liked how they handled it (later on in the episodes) and it could of worked before if they would of had the right people at the time.

So, if they try to the 2015 show again but actually doing what they did at the end of the series with Up Late with Miss Piggy and actually having segments and still doing some episodic stories, then it could work.

However, I can tell that's not what everyone wants. From what I've seen with the response to the Hollywood Bowl, doing the Muppet Show is the best direction to go. Let's just hope they get the right people to do this.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So, if they try to the 2015 show again but actually doing what they did at the end of the series with Up Late with Miss Piggy and actually having segments and still doing some episodic stories, then it could work.
However, I can tell that's not what everyone wants. From what I've seen with the response to the Hollywood Bowl, doing the Muppet Show is the best direction to go. Let's just hope they get the right people to do this.
In this day and age I think more and more people want shows with more character development and heavier story arcs. I mean, kids cartoons are becoming more complex and arc heavy, we're even starting to see it a lot with comedies such as The Good Place, Last Man On Earth, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Not to mention, variety shows are few and far between nowadays, and the ones that have existed recently haven't done so well (aside from SNL). So, i'm not saying that they should have 13 dramatic episodes where they ban together to defeat some big bad, but what i'm saying is the show needs to have more fleshed out plots, slightly more character development, and maybe an episode every year that changes the status quo just a little.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
SWEET, A NEW MUPPET SERI-- Oh, it's only gonna be on Disney's version of Netflix? :sigh:

(On a side note, it won't be long before Disney owns our souls.)

Status
Not open for further replies.