Bad Baby Names

camillachick

Reaction score
We had an issue with that at a camp I used to work at. One of the couselors was from Scotland (i think) and she freaked out when someone said fanny-pack. Since she had never heard the term refer to a zippered bag around your waist, it sounded very offensive to her.

I volunteered for a while at a school and there were brothers there named Mister and Sir.

My husband grew up near two towns called Victor and Henrietta and I always joke that we should name our kids those names.

luvtosr

Reaction score
camillachick said:
We had an issue with that at a camp I used to work at. One of the couselors was from Scotland (i think) and she freaked out when someone said fanny-pack.
We call them bum-bags.

I often have people laugh because my kids have three first names each and a double-barrelled surname (five names in all). I wanted them to have individual middle names like my brothers and I do and Gary has a traditional family middle name that is said to go back to the Saxons so that's how they got all the first names and we double-barrelled 'em because we're not married and we both wanted to give them our surname so we figured they could have both and choose which to use when they're older.

That Announcer

Reaction score
luvtosr said:
I often have people laugh because my kids have three first names each and a double-barrelled surname (five names in all). I wanted them to have individual middle names like my brothers and I do and Gary has a traditional family middle name that is said to go back to the Saxons so that's how they got all the first names and we double-barrelled 'em because we're not married and we both wanted to give them our surname so we figured they could have both and choose which to use when they're older.
Yeeks. Nobody in my family has ever considered giving their children any more than one secondary name. Mine is Patrick, my mother's is Anne, my father's is Gerard (and he pronounces it wrong to boot) and my grandfather's is Ronald. I used to have a friend with four secondary names, and he was the boot of many jokes as a result of that.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
My sister's boyfriend has a grand total of five names, and I can only spell one of them.

Oh, and it's not so much of a baby name as a nickname, but for a while my sister couldn't pronounce my other sister's name. So "Elizabeth" was known as (and is still sometimes called) "Ribbet." Like the sound frogs make.

luvtosr

Reaction score
My Mum has nicknames for my brothers and me - she calls me 'Potts' (which has no bearing on my full name - Katherine), Christopher's 'Bisto', and, strangest of all, Dan get's 'Spanish' but the full version is 'The Spanish Polo'.

Gary's older brother's first names are Stuart Anthony Somers so his initials read S.A.S.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
What about Penn of Penn and Teller who named his daughter "Moxy Crimfighter", can you imagine that, "hey, I got a date with Moxy Crimefighter"

Whatever

Reaction score
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's ... a poopie diaper? Entertainment Tonight reports that Nicolas Cage, 41, and wife Alice Kim, 21, welcomed son Kal-el Coppola Cage Monday in New York. Yes, you read that right: The Oscar winner and comic book fanatic (he took his last name from superhero Luke Cage) has christened his offspring with Superman's Krpytonian moniker, thus assuring plenty of playground teasing from the likes of little Apple, Phinnaeus, Pilot Inspektor, Moxie CrimeFighter and Audio Science. Cage isn't the first celebrity to seek baby name inspiration from the comics: Director Kevin Smith named his daughter Harley Quinn, an appellation inspired by the Joker's homicidal moll.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Okay here's my name

My real first name is Craig. Now that doesn't sound like a bad name at first until you realize two things. 1. People are always confusing it with Greg or Gregory. 2. Whenever I take a course in a Latin based foreign language, such as French or Spanish there is no true equivalent to this Gaelic name (which means "dweller at the crag," by the way) hence my teachers are always renaming me Carlos (Sp) or Charles (Fr), neither of which look or sound anything like Craig.

BEAR

Reaction score
I'll tell you a bad baby name...CURLY BEAR! It just sounds dumb.