R.I.P. David Ogden Stiers

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think when people speak of Frank being one-note, they're talking about how he was arguably flanderized up till his final season on the show, such as how his lack of surgical skills were played up more and more, how much whinier and crybabyish he could get at times, and how all of his thoughts were practically consumed by Margaret when she got engaged to Penobscott.

When you look at Frank in the beginning, he's not nearly as surgically incompetent, he's more cooperative in OR, and he's even portrayed as something of a religious fanatic (albeit a hypocritical one).

But one thing I love about Flanderized Frank is that cackling laugh of his (that Larry Linville apparently ad-libbed once, and it stuck). That, and the childish temper-tantrum he threw in Margaret's tent upon learning Potter was replacing him was hilarious.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Frank had no business being in the Army.
He couldn't operate.
He couldn't lead in Blake or Potter's absence.
He couldn't operate a gun- or drive a tank for that matter.
The best he could do at being a soldier was capturing a refugee family and an ox.
He hurled racial slurs at Potter and Kelleye.
He can't even tell who the North Koreans are.

As Potter called him, "Mental pigmy".

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Lilo and Stitch was probably my favorite childhood show/movie series aside from Muppets and Sesame Street so of course, I'm very saddened to hear that we lost Jumba :frown:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You can add him to a long list of celebrities who I thought was already dead a long time ago. I also didn't know he was in Lilo and Stitch (though I also haven't seen that film).

M*A*S*H is a show I kinda find overrated, and I like the early seasons a lot better than the later ones (which are a bit too serious for me... and when I watch the reruns, it's usually one of the later episodes). However, Charles Winchester is one of the things from the later seasons that I like. He was a great character, much better than Frank Burns.

mr3urious

Reaction score
He also played a Russian mob boss in Jungle 2 Jungle, amusingly using the same voice he would eventually use for Jumba in Lilo & Stitch. So now I can't help but imagine Jumba cutting off people's fingers as a form of punishment. :smile:

Princeton

Reaction score
Jumba is the one Disney character that i feel Stiers was miscast as. I think his deep vocal tone and Russian dialect clashes with the character design. Call me a weirdo but I thought Garry Shandling would be the perfect Jumba voice.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Frank had no business being in the Army.
He couldn't operate.
He couldn't lead in Blake or Potter's absence.
He couldn't operate a gun- or drive a tank for that matter.
The best he could do at being a soldier was capturing a refugee family and an ox.
He hurled racial slurs at Potter and Kelleye.
He can't even tell who the North Koreans are.

As Potter called him, "Mental pigmy".
This makes me wonder if my cousin had gotten any grief about this character, since he and Frank share a last name, and at one point, rank.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've only recently started following Ken Levine's blog again. I dropped out of it for a while because too many people were angered by my occasional comments against the current state of comedy unnecessarily relying so heavily on sexual content and lowbrow humor.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I've only recently started following Ken Levine's blog again. I dropped out of it for a while because too many people were angered by my occasional comments against the current state of comedy unnecessarily relying so heavily on sexual content and lowbrow humor.
Well, you do have a way of rubbing people the wrong way :wink: (that's a joke)