Are the Muppets as popular as they were 30 to 40 years ago?

DMHFan

Reaction score
Well, it's been said. To wrap this up, the Muppets' popularity is a mixed bag.

MWoO

Reaction score
The Muppets are icon popular, but not actually popular. It's like Mickey Mouse. Everyone claims to love Mickey mouse, but when was the last time any Mickey production was released that was popular with a non-preschool crowd?

The Muppets are no longer popular for their humor. They are popular for the memory of their humor. Anytime they try to do something new people act like their childhood got ruined and every time they do the same old thing no one cares. Personally, I love when they try something new and even liked the 2015 series and both new movies. However, most people just don't care.

My hope is that the new Muppet Babies show will introduce a new crops of people to the characters and hopefully grow a new audience. My fear is that the new audience will only see the Muppets as children's characters. The show is done well and the people behind it seem like they really care about the Muppets so hopefully the new crop of fans continues to enjoy them into their adulthood.

DMHFan

Reaction score
The Muppets are icon popular, but not actually popular. It's like Mickey Mouse. Everyone claims to love Mickey mouse, but when was the last time any Mickey production was released that was popular with a non-preschool crowd?

The Muppets are no longer popular for their humor. They are popular for the memory of their humor. Anytime they try to do something new people act like their childhood got ruined and every time they do the same old thing no one cares. Personally, I love when they try something new and even liked the 2015 series and both new movies. However, most people just don't care.

My hope is that the new Muppet Babies show will introduce a new crops of people to the characters and hopefully grow a new audience. My fear is that the new audience will only see the Muppets as children's characters. The show is done well and the people behind it seem like they really care about the Muppets so hopefully the new crop of fans continues to enjoy them into their adulthood.
Thanks for that explanation. Let's also hope that when Disney+ launches next year, we can get a chance to see that new Muppets series as a chance for the characters to become more popular. I also hope the Muppets catalog will be avaliable on there, including the stuff that never got released on DVD.

MWoO

Reaction score
How much presence the Muppets have on Disney+ will pretty much show us how much Disney cares about the Muppets in general. So far we have no actual news of a new show. Nothing has been shown and no word about it going into production has been officially mentioned. The only productions we heard about were the stage shows and for some reason Kermit playing the Wizard of Oz in a play.

I suspect we will see the 4 Disney produced movies (MMW, TM11, MTI, and MCC). We will likely see the new Muppet Babies and The Muppets 2015. GMC and TMM are a toss up and MTM and MFS may still have rights issues with SONY. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see the entire old Muppet Babies and TMS as well as all other Muppet Specials. Anything that isn't already remastered in HD I will be shocked to see.

DMHFan

Reaction score
How much presence the Muppets have on Disney+ will pretty much show us how much Disney cares about the Muppets in general. So far we have no actual news of a new show. Nothing has been shown and no word about it going into production has been officially mentioned. The only productions we heard about were the stage shows and for some reason Kermit playing the Wizard of Oz in a play.

I suspect we will see the 4 Disney produced movies (MMW, TM11, MTI, and MCC). We will likely see the new Muppet Babies and The Muppets 2015. GMC and TMM are a toss up and MTM and MFS may still have rights issues with SONY. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see the entire old Muppet Babies and TMS as well as all other Muppet Specials. Anything that isn't already remastered in HD I will be shocked to see.
I agree with you on this. I also would be surprised to see MT on there as well.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score

We just live in a society where quality like Mickey Mouse and Muppets is not respected.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
The entertainment industry has progressively stopped respecting or caring about quality over the past twenty years or so.
Yep; 2007 was pretty much the death of mainstream music for me, where everything became unlistenable. It became more about posturing and less about artists singing about things they actually care about, and now every chorus is just "wah oh wah oh wah, whoa ah oh ah oh ah oh".