The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
ngl i thought hotel transylvania 2 was pretty good, though im not sure how much that means since i hated the first one

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
HT is actually one of my favorite Sony Pictures movies.

I always watch it every Halloween that's how much I like it. That being said, I don't think they need to make another one. Another case of Sequelitis.:smirk:

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
Hmm... I don't know about you, but Open Road Films seems to pull a Weinstein Company in regards to CG films. Any CG film that isn't The Nut Job gets delayed or, in the case of Spark, a limited release with little to no advertising.

Not that any of us expected it to be good anyway, but Duck, Duck Goose has been delayed for four months (I practically figured they wouldn't bother with an April 20 release because there was no advertising and nary a listing on a cinema chain site... seriously, I checked) and I won't be surprised if Blazing Samurai doesn't come out on May 10.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
You know that show PAW Patrol that's all the rage with toddlers? It looks very adorable, but I stumbled upon concept art that revealed that it wasn't going to look cute originally:

The dogs look too realistic in contrast to the cartoony backdrops in this concept, and what is up with Rubble's face? I do think Skye's concept art is adorable...

Speaking of dogs, I saw this trailer for a terrible talking dog movie (not CGI though) before Isle of Dogs that stars Ludacris of all people.

As for good films released this year that I'm looking forward to, there's the CGI Grinch movie that looks really good. The Teen Titans Go movie also looks great and funny despite me not watching the show, but to me it feels like it's going to be the big finale.

Hmm... I don't know about you, but Open Road Films seems to pull a Weinstein Company in regards to CG films. Any CG film that isn't The Nut Job gets delayed or, in the case of Spark, a limited release with little to no advertising.

Not that any of us expected it to be good anyway, but Duck, Duck Goose has been delayed for four months (I practically figured they wouldn't bother with an April 20 release because there was no advertising and nary a listing on a cinema chain site... seriously, I checked) and I won't be surprised if Blazing Samurai doesn't come out on May 10.
Aaaand they pulled Duck Duck Goose before it's release. Nothing on Blazing Samurai, and Animal Crackers hasn't been released yet either (but I think that's due to the whole Weinstein thing. I'm surprised WB didn't get the rights to that when they got them for Paddington 2).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Speaking of dogs, I saw this trailer for a terrible talking dog movie (not CGI though) before Isle of Dogs that stars Ludacris of all people.
Yeah, and it's from the director of the live-action Garfield and Smurfs movies. He should have been done after the failure of Smurfs 2. :rolleyes:

If families with little kids let Nine Lives flop, then I hope they will to this, too. I'd even go as far as to say they should take them to Deadpool 2.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
JESUS CHRIST! And I thought the concept art of Lion from Steven Universe looked hideous. Let's be thankful that the show itself never looked like THAT! :eek:
I'm glad that's not what it wound up being. It probably would have scared the target audience.
Yeah, and it's from the director of the live-action Garfield and Smurfs movies. He should have been done after the failure of Smurfs 2. :rolleyes:

If families with little kids let Nine Lives flop, then I hope they will to this, too. I'd even go as far as to say they should take them to Deadpool 2.
Nine Lives actually flopped because it was released at a time when The Secret Life Of Pets was making tons of money at the box office and because of it being released the same day as Suicide Squad (a lot of little kids go to superhero movies regardless of rating. I saw a lot of little girls obsessing over Harley Quinn that year). There's barely any kids movies when Show Dogs comes out (except for the handful of theaters showing Sherlock Gnomes), so I'm betting it might make at least some profit.

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
This video came out recently and I thought it would be worth bringing to your attention:

Rugrats1

Reaction score
All of the bad CGI movies a nowadays are a symptom of Hollywood running out of ideas, so we get crappy animated movies like Sherlock Gnomes, Frozen, The Emoji Movie, Norm of The North and more