Showcase Your Puppets!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Rather plain and simplicist, because I decided that because puppet building is actually a weaknessof mine, I was going to turn that weakness into a strength, and as a result, they actually turned out pretty darn good.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a way better performer than I am builder. Plus, I really don't find that much enjoyment in making them; I only do it because it's cheaper than buying some store-bought puppet that isn't made all that well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can agree. It's a very time-consuming, tedious, and draining process. I'd say that my least favorite part of the process is the fabricating: having to make sure the fabric pattern fits to the foam skeleton exactly, then you have to sew and sew and sew. It can take hours.

I can tolerate putting together the foam skeleton though - especially now that I use contact cement instead of hot glue.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I recently discovered contact cement and it's LOADS better than hot glue. If I'd have known, I would have used it earlier!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's just two problems with contact:

1. You run out of it quickly.
2. You really need to make sure you have a decent respirator to wear, otherwise. Until I invest in one, I just used a simple painting mask - didn't protect me from the fumes, and I had sinus stones for days afterwards.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Eh, I found a deal on Amazon about a year ago - two bottles for $11. And I gotta be honest - I sometimes just tie rags around my face while I'm using it because I'm too lazy to get some real masks. :stick_out_tongue: I've never had any problems with it, but then again, I rarely use it for long periods of time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though I don't have any pictures to show, the very first puppet I ever built when I was like twelve years old was a little pink baby monster with a mess of purple yarn hair, and big, store-bought googley eyes. Construction-wise, he was built pretty much like Shane did Fenwick. Unfortunately, he didn't last long, because the pattern was too small and I didn't think in terms of seam allowance, so he can tearing apart all the time. I don't even remember what his name was. Wilford, Willard, Millard, something like that. And he essentially had an Elmo-esque voice.