Do you want a Pepe figure in series 6?

In what series would you like to see a Pepe figure made?

• I want Pepe in series 6 and bump a classic character

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • I would rather have a classic character in series 6

Votes: 35 60.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
Good point, but here's what I'm saying

I don't feel the issue of Pepe NOT being a replacement is being overlooked. In reading the several hundred posts that have been made about these figures, we all realize that Pepe will not take the place of a "big player".

What I, and I gather others, are saying is that we don't want to see Pepe until MUCH further down the line, if ever. Whether he bumps a major player or not, which we all know he won't, we are not currently interested in seeing Pepe in action figure form.

Maybe some of us are being purists, but when we are talking about a Muppet Show action figure line, characters that WEREN'T on the Muppet Show don't really appeal to us.

However, I realize that many people might thoroughly be interested in seeing a Pepe, Clifford, Bobo, or even Randy and Andy pig figure. My point, and I think I'm not alone here, is that we shouldn't concern ourselves with NEWER characters until we thoroughly complete the OLDER characters, popular or obscure.

If we start mixing newer characters with older characters, some buyers might lose interest and (God forbid) the line is discontinued. Well, say, in part, the introduction of the newer characters caused the lack of interest and now, because of Pepe and Bobo, we don't get to see older characters that we would have liked to have seen! Even if the characters we are missing out on are reincarnations of older characters, I think most of us would rather have the OLDER characters than the new ones.
I know I would much rather have a "Disco Frog" Kermit instead of a Clifford.
But, I realize that there are differing opinions and I hope that I haven't offended anyone or stepped on any toes (because that hurts, especially if you are wearing sandals!)
And, of course, Ken by no means do I mean to offend you with what I have said, because you are a modern day prophet as far as I'm concerned! You are bringing us the Muppets in a way that most have us have wanted for so long! Palisades is like the Garden of Eden for me!!

So, that's just how I view the inclusion of Pepe and "friends".

Jim

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree. I think that Pepe would help the line sell better than 12 versions of Sam the Eagle or Fozzie Bear. I'm a purist too, but I would like to see Pepe introduced. It has nothing to do with Clifford etc. They can wait.

You wrote:
... we shouldn't concern ourselves with NEWER characters until we thoroughly complete the OLDER characters, popular or obscure.

Ken has made it clear that some obscure characters will just not get made. In some cases Henson isn't even behind them. Keeping up with the threads - reportedly they are not too hot on even a Lips figure.

And again - Pepe would likely be considered a "Big Gun" character so he would not push out any new figures - ONLY duplicate versions of previously released characters.

I think when people are stating their apprehension about a Pepe figure it is because they want obsure characters released - which is a moot point because he would only really bump Kermit Verion number four etc. That is the point. Pepe won't likely have anything to do with obscure charactters getting made or not. That is just confusing the issue.

It's not that I don't want a Disco Frog, but once it gets to that point I think the introduction of Pepe would be more marketable. And I think that when asked in the context of Disco Frog or Gonzo in a Tuxedo vs Pepe that most fans would be pro-Pepe. Just my take:smile:

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
The Pepe Issue

I think everybody understands the formula for each series: 2 major players, 2 lesser known players.

What I think is NOT understood by some of us is that characters from The Jim Henson Hour, Fraggle Rock, and Muppets Tonight are NOT part of the formula.

Maybe someday if the Muppet Show line is successful, Palisades will be able to negotiate a Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, etc. line of figures.
I know I personally would like to see Palisades gain the rights to Sesame figures, but I am not going to suggest that Ernie and Bert are included in a series of Muppet Show figures just because they made an appearance in Marty Feldman's episode!

These characters are linked only because they are the fruits of Jim Henson's awesome imagination, and seeing as how they aren't all linked by appearing on the Muppet Show, some of them are ineligible to appear in this line of action figures.

The fact that these wonderful action figures are 25th Anniversary action figures, should tip us all off that the intent is create figures which were involved with the Muppet players during that time period. Which, logically we could say 25-26 years ago up to 20 years ago....ABOUT1976 to 1981...

Again, I agree that all of these other characters are important and hold important places in our hearts, but from the perspective of "25th Anniversary" action figures, it should be obvious what the intent of this line of products is.

This issue is where I must "agree to disagree" with you, Frogboy. Everybody knows WHAT TYPE of characters will fill the series (popular Muppet Show players along with less popular), but what is not understood is WHICH GROUP of characters is being considered for the series.

Jim

Emmy1500

Reaction score
Myself, I wouldn't buy a pepe figure, Ever. It's a character that I have no interest in and never will.

I would much rather see a 3rd or 4th variation of say kermit then to see a pepe figure.

This is just one collectors opinion, a collector who never saw MT or JHH, but I did watch the original muppet show when I was younger.

In the grand scheme of things the people from this message board are just a very small portion of who will be buying these figures and a lot of the really obscure characters would probably be pegwarmers.

Once again this is just my personal opinion.

thx

Cory

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
I see what you mean, Frogboy

I definitely agree, that remakes of a particular character (especially Kermit and Piggy) should be limited to 2 or 3, depending on how radically different the remake is.

I also understand that some Muppet Show characters just WON'T be made (Zelda Rose, the No-Name Trumpet Playing Lady, etc.), but what I am saying is that we make sure we complete the line of Muppet Show characters before we introduce, if we ever do, the newer characters.

I also agree that Pepe is a "big gun"...but he is a big gun from about 1996-present. I just feel that with the title of "25th Anniversary", Pepe, who is a current big gun, wasn't a big gun (or even around) during the time period that is under consideration.

But with every other point, I agree with you!

:smile:

At least we can say that we ALL want the Muppet characters in some form or another!

Jim

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
exactly!

I would never personally buy a Pepe action figure either, but I know that some people want him so I hope he eventually gets made and we can all be very very pleased with our collections!

Maybe we can all get together someday and have playtime with all of our characters!! Sort of like playing Barbie, but A LOT more fun! :stick_out_tongue:

Jim

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That's true. I hope many of the characters will get made (Lips, Uncle Deadly, Nigel). I also think that if Palisades' license is renewed next year that the aniversary will be over and the series may evolve into a general Muppets line that includes characters old and new.

The reason I mentioned Pepe as a "big gun" is becuase that is the Palisades term for the two main characters in ever series. That means his inclusion will have little to do with obscure characters getting made. There is no competition there (*if I am right about that). If it came down to Pepe in 03 or Nigel or Lewis Kazagger never being made, then I would certainly be in favor of pushing Pepe to 04 (if it happens). I just don't see a competition between him and the obscure characters which keeps getting brought up. I see them as entirely seperate topics.

On a different note - you will see if you check back in the ancient MC threads of how supportive I was of a Mildred figure (and others) and many MCers really disagreed with me. Now everybody seems to be changing their tune back. It's kind of funny.:wink:

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
Frogboy and Link Unite!

HAHA...you're right, Frogboy!! I noticed how several people jumped down your throat and now they change their tunes! :smile:

I agree completely, once the whole "25th Anniversary" wears off, some of us will be more accepting of newer characters. Once the title wears off, the expectation of honoring it will probably evolve into "Muppet Show-like" characters (mainly Pepe, of course :smile: )

And I like the supposition you made with Pepe and Lewis... I mean, we can slate Pepe for a certain series and then if we find a better character to make, we just bump Pepe. Eventually, Pepe will get made, BUT he won't be our first priority...I guess that's what I've been trying to articulate this whole time.

Thanks, for hashing that out with me, Frogboy!:wink:

Jim

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
LOL! Yeah, I do hope that many Muppet characters do get made (I even have my fingers crossed for a Midred and George down the line) but I wouldn't mind if the Pep-ster came first.

I wonder if the packaging will reflect a general Muppets line in 2003. If so, I hope that a couple new characters will be introduced, though I hope in waves to come that old classics will not be forgotten.

I can just see a debate about 04 (if it happens) and how many darn versions of Pepe are they going to make! LOL! I just want as many [different] characters they can make before too many more dupes are produced.

I also like the Disco Frog idea. I was one of the few who mentioned it in the original Ken thread in the old forum. I don't know if I was the first one or if someone else was, but it gained a little momentum. He could be in a disco-version At the Dance playset...but after more stuff comes out of course.:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
why all the pepe hatin'?

Sheesh, what's with all the Pepe hay-tahs??? Just a few months ago there seemed to be unanamous love for the king prawn...now I just hear 'I would never buy a pepe figure'...YEAHHH RIGHT! I swear if Ken tommorrow was to post painted prototype pix of our beloved orange Pepe all you Pepe haters would be posting a gillion 'I SO GOTTA HAVE THAT!!!'...Trust me, if you could even begin to imagine what a Pepe figure from Palisades talented sculpters would look like, you'd fer sure WANT one!
And besides, to all you Pepe dissenters...its one thing to see
Pepe on the ljs commercials(Me thinks its pure too big stardom so quick...why else would people all the sudden jump on the anti pepe rhetoric?) it's quite another to see Pepe in the fur.

Ken...bring on the Pepe!(ebay $200 exclusive or series 6!!!)

///beaker///