Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
But that's just it: all Trump usually does on social media is whine, *****, and moan about something somebody said about him, or boast about something that he didn't do or an accomplishment that he didn't make. Reading his tweets is like reading little notes school kids pass to each other, only publicly.
That's being said a federal judge ordered that Trump can not block anyone from his Twitter page due to the freedom of speech.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Speaking of freedom of speech, you'll appreciate this, @dwayne1115, considering Trump is getting his way again:

From this moment on, if NFL players continue to kneel during the National Anthem, their entire team will be fined; otherwise, if players refuse to stand, they'll be held in the locker rooms until the anthem is over.

Nice that the "Administration" is now punishing victims of injustice for protesting the injustices they face. That's like if a little kid gets beaten to a pulp at recess, then grounding him for getting beaten to a pulp.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Speaking of freedom of speech, you'll appreciate this, @dwayne1115, considering Trump is getting his way again:

From this moment on, if NFL players continue to kneel during the National Anthem, their entire team will be fined; otherwise, if players refuse to stand, they'll be held in the locker rooms until the anthem is over.

Nice that the "Administration" is now punishing victims of injustice for protesting the injustices they face. That's like if a little kid gets beaten to a pulp at recess, then grounding him for getting beaten to a pulp.
Okay I knew you would bring this up and even before you did I had already been doing some research on the matter for my own personal knowledge.

First off I want to make it clear that the Trumps administration did not make this a rule or even a mandate for the NFL. All NFL team owners unanimously voted on this new policy.
Secondly, according to ESPN Roger Godel said that with this new policy they wanted to give the players a choice. That would be participating in the anthem or staying in the locker room.
The NFL is doing this simply to stop losing viewers as they have been since this started back two years ago.
Now as far as the Trump administration is concerned on the issue. Mike Pence did take to Twitter yesterday simply saying "winning", but other then that there has been no official statement from the White House on the matter.
Lastly, the first Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Okay I knew you would bring this up and even before you did I had already been doing some research on the matter for my own personal knowledge.

First off I want to make it clear that the Trumps administration did not make this a rule or even a mandate for the NFL. All NFL team owners unanimously voted on this new policy.
Secondly, according to ESPN Roger Godel said that with this new policy they wanted to give the players a choice. That would be participating in the anthem or staying in the locker room.
The NFL is doing this simply to stop losing viewers as they have been since this started back two years ago.
Now as far as the Trump administration is concerned on the issue. Mike Pence did take to Twitter yesterday simply saying "winning", but other then that there has been no official statement from the White House on the matter.
Lastly, the first Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
Thanks for this. It is a much more accurate description of the NFL's new policy. And it is up to each individual NFL team as to if they fine the players, which most have said they will not fine them. President Trump had as much to do with this as he did with the NFL's new kickoff rule of helmet rule, which is absolutely nothing.

And don't believe for a second that the NFL cares whether they stand or kneel or lock arms. They only care about it affecting their bottom line. And if the NFL feels like the player's kneeling during the National Anthem is doing that they are going to find a way to require the players to stand. It is their right to do so though as the players are their employees and the National Anthem is "on company time".

Last edited:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It's simply all about the ratings and ticket and merch sells. Nothing more and nothing less. Personally, I think sports of any kind should stay away from being to political. Yes players should and do have the right to protest, but they should do so on their own time. Simply because when dealing with the public no matter how right you may be your views are almost always going to upset someone.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Absolutely right. Bottom line. That's what it is all about. If the NFL really cared about "respecting the National Anthem" they would suspend all concession sales and merchandise sales during it's playing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Players can still protest, they’d just have to pay a fine. Protest ought to require some risk. Americans are far too comfortable. Civil rights protestors in the 60s had far more to lose. Now we’ll see which players are truly in it for the long haul.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
They said if Kaepernick and/ or others wanted to call a press conference to state their views, they were perfectly fine with that. He had his forum in various media (nice cover story in GQ).
50 years ago Muhammad Ali protested fighting in Viet Nam. It cost him his title and some jail time.
How big a price did Kaepernick pay?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
They said if Kaepernick and/ or others wanted to call a press conference to state their views, they were perfectly fine with that. He had his forum in various media (nice cover story in GQ).
50 years ago Muhammad Ali protested fighting in Viet Nam. It cost him his title and some jail time.
How big a price did Kaepernick pay?
I always go back to the Catonsville Nine, a group of anti Vietnam war activists (led by two Catholic priests) who broke into a draft office and burned several draft cards. They stood trial for what they did and when they were found guilty they "agreed this was the happiest day of their lives." They accepted the consequences, which further reinforced their commitment to the cause.