The "You know what?" thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I can appreciate this thing now. But way back in 1971 (when I could count my age on one hand and have fingers to spare), the sight of that fruit basket and those first Moog synth notes spelled doom.

This freaked me out so much, I tried the best I could to explain it to my folks. "There's this orange... and it sings... Bizet's "Carmen"... in French..." and giving my own operatic rendition. If you could see 3-year-old me going for the high notes, you'd die laughing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Most of the cartoon characters featured in Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue have recently had revivial cartoons that feature the characters in a new form of animation (CGI) or a signficantly different style. And most of the ones who haven't really been in anything recently have had some kind of revival.

I think Alf is the only one who hasn't had a new cartoon since his original series. I believe the Smurfs have only been revived in their movies which feature them in CGI. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Garfield, and Muppet Babies have all had CGI shows, I think Winnie the Pooh did as well (not to mention the upcoming Christopher Robin has the characters in a new form, though I don't know if this actually counts). Bugs and Daffy have been drawn in a few style for The Looney Tunes Show and Wabbit (and Daffy appeared in a CGI short). The Chipmunks are currently in a CGI show (and have been redesigned significantly for the live action movies). I don't think Slimer has ever been designed in a different style or format, but there was the revived Extreme Ghostbusters series a decade ago.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Seeing this:
had me thinking - wouldn't it have been cool if there was a Crash Bandicoot cartoon series? To me it seems like it would've fit in on Fox Kids or Nickelodeon.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When Harry Shearer joined the cast of Saturday Night Live in the fifth season, they didn't make an official announcement right away that he'd be a cast member (and he was announced as a "featured player" for his first month), when they began the "featured player" title and promoted many writers to featured player, with Shearer being the only main cast member. It was to the point that the cast and crew didn't even realize he was a cast member instead of a featured player.

And yet in the season six premier, when the new cast compares themselves to the cast of the first five years, Gilbert Godfried says he's a cross between John Belushi and "that new guy from last year who nobody remembered the name of". At least they acknowledged that there was a new cast member (and Elliot Gould knew he was talking about Harry; he may not have said the last name, but at least he was acknowledged for those unaware).

I've also seen things that say that the cast resented the writers in the fifth season because, with them becoming featured players, they felt they were more focused on creating good roles for themselves than for writing good sketches. But weren't most of the main cast members writers as well? Didn't they write good parts for themselves, or did the cast member/writers actually do plenty of writing for sketches they were not in (I'd like to be a cast member and writer of a sketch comedy show and write as many good sketches that I don't appear in as I do ones I do)?

Some time in the last year, I saw an article about the Muppet sketches, and it talked about the time when Chevy Chase volunteered a substitute sketch when the Muppets couldn't make it. The article said that the sketch was pretty much mocking the Muppets. I've seen that one before, and I had no idea it was meant as a mockery (I saw it as further evidence that Chase was one cast/crew member who didn't dislike having the Muppets on the show, additional evidence being that he wrote one of the last Muppet sketches which was also one with a rare hopeful ending at a time when most sketches were about them being fired, and the fact that he had a cameo in Follow That Bird).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Did anyone else get totally confused when they watched this episode of Rugrats as a kid?

I mean... Out of all things to mess up on.... Randy's appearance. :shifty: