Sesame Workshop Sues STX Films over Happytime Murders Trailer

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean this in no disrespect to the Workshop, but you know what I think is funny?

The fact that they have an issue with their name being used in the trailer, yet seem to have had no issues with their own characters being made fun of in shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park.

To be honest, this is one thing I'm kind of unforgiving with the Workshop.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I mean this in no disrespect to the Workshop, but you know what I think is funny?

The fact that they have an issue with their name being used in the trailer, yet seem to have had no issues with their own characters being made fun of in shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park.

To be honest, this is one thing I'm kind of unforgiving with the Workshop.
Grabbed this from the web since I was curious myself:

Parody is considered fair use and doen't require permission from the copyright holder. It's the same reason Weird Al doesn't require permission from the artists he spoofs (but he asks for it anyway, because he's a nice dude)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In regards to Weird Al, he'll also play the Michael Jackson card if artists and/or songwriters won't grant him permission: "Oh, Michael Jackson was cool with it, but not you?"

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Is the name Sesame Street trademarked? Stupid question, I know. I only ask cause wouldn't using the same also fall under fair use if it's only used once?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
honestly...i understand the concern. people seem to be ignoring this bit

The suit, which alleges trademark infringement and other counts, adds, “The promotion of The Happytime Murders should succeed or fail on its own merits, not on a cynical, unlawful attempt to deceive and confuse the public into associating it with the most celebrated children’s program in history.”
The fear is dumb parents will see the tagline and think its related to sesame street. Though my argument is people will see the puppets and think its a family friendly movie regardless. Because to most people, puppets=sesame street

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying.

People are quick to judge that puppet stuff is for kids.

No.

Crank Yankers is by no means a kid's show. The Jeff Dunham show is by no means a kid's show. Wonder Shozen which has puppet characters is by no means a kid's show. Heck, even Mystery Science Theater 3000 which has robot puppets is not a kid's show (maybe a family one, sure, but not a kid's show).

Old Thunder

Reaction score
The first Hellrider came on wings of plenty in the dark; poured out his poison and he blew away his mark.

The fascist from the east is coming; mothers, hide your sons.