The Muppets 2015: What went wrong?

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I watched the whole Muppets Tonight series - and for me, it just didn't work. First of all, Kermit should've hosted. I know, I know it was Jim's "plan" for Clifford to host the next Muppet show all along blah blah blah. Here's the thing: if we got more Clifford in other productions, if he was one of the main characters in one of the movies or something, it might've worked. But other than the die-hard Muppet fans, no one cared about Clifford. He wasn't recognizable.

Second, there should have been more classic characters. 60% of the regular cast was brand new. I feel like they should've introduced new characters over time rather than throwing every new character they had come up within the first episode. That's where I think the Muppets 2015 succeeded, not creating lots of new characters and sticking (mainly) with the familiar ones.

But hey, I still like it better than the Jim Henson Hour. :smirk:
You know what I think it deserves its own thread

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It's a shame this didn't work out. I can't believe it's going to be 3 years since it first premiered, feels like just yesterday.

I think this one proved that viewers don't actually want to watch a weekly muppet series. Sure, they'll talk about how they love the muppet christmas carol or how kermit and miss piggy are a nice couple, but they won't bother to sit and view for 30 minutes a week. Thus, the ratings collapsed after a strong start.

Yes, the show had its problems. But, it really was something that should've worked in this era of TV.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
It's a shame this didn't work out. I can't believe it's going to be 3 years since it first premiered, feels like just yesterday.

I think this one proved that viewers don't actually want to watch a weekly muppet series. Sure, they'll talk about how they love the muppet christmas carol or how kermit and miss piggy are a nice couple, but they won't bother to sit and view for 30 minutes a week. Thus, the ratings collapsed after a strong start.

Yes, the show had its problems. But, it really was something that should've worked in this era of TV.
Well, the way I see it, mainstream viewers only want to see a weekly Muppet series if it's exactly like what they grew up with (nostalgia). For most people, that's The Muppet Show. And the 2015 show was just "too different" from the The Muppet Show.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think this one proved that viewers don't actually want to watch a weekly muppet series.
I don't think that's it at all - a lot of viewers would like a weekly Muppet series, and have been wanting one for a long time . . . we just need a weekly Muppet series that will actually work and is actually in the Muppet spirit, which this series wasn't.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I don't think that's it at all - a lot of viewers would like a weekly Muppet series, and have been wanting one for a long time . . . we just need a weekly Muppet series that will actually work and is actually in the Muppet spirit, which this series wasn't.
Maybe we would (as in actual muppet fans), but even if they made a show as good as TMS, I doubt it would be a success on primetime tv.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It probably could if the networks would let producers and showrunners have more creative control over their own shows and quit dictating everything.

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
For me, it was the timeslot that went wrong.
I mean Tuesday nights were just a bad night for them. Going up Against The Voice was not going to work.
I would've moved it to Wednesday nights at 8:00. That would've been a better timeslot.
I watched every single episode and I loved it! It was fantastic, but the timeslot just didn't work out for them. Especially against The Voice.
I mean with Wednesday nights you'd be going up against the first half of Survivor, but to be honest, most people watch the 2nd half of the program. Trust me, I've watched Survivor for years. They would also be going up against The Mysteries of Laura on NBC. That would've been good for The Muppets, in my opinion instead of Tuesday nights.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I just think the simple fact is that people like the Muppets, but not enough to make a weekly television series a success.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I just think the simple fact is that people like the Muppets, but not enough to make a weekly television series a success.
Can someone please define what the Muppets are? I'm not talking about them being puppets. What I'm asking is when you or someone hears the Muppets what do they normally think?