Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Ok so let's try this. Since I'm not exactly sure where liberals stand on a lot of issues let's start with one and see if we agree.

First topic: immigration.
Since I was raised by a Beat and a hippie, I consider myself fairly left-wing. And I lived in southern AZ for 15 years, where this is an everyday issue.

Immigration: most people trying to enter this country, legally or not, are looking for work for themselves and education for their children. Are there drug cartels trying to get mules across the border? Yes. Should we penalize every person trying to get in for legit reasons? No. We should we offer a path to citizenship even for illegals, including literacy, job training and verification (just like for unemployment in every state: at least prove you are looking for work), education and what little social safety net is left. Building a yuuuuuuge wall is the most ineffective idea ever put forth to control a border, and especially heinous if we are to keep pretending that we value our history as a nation of immigrants. Yes, it's a tired saw, but unless you're a Native American, your ancestors came to this country, either seeking a better life for your family, or dragged onshore in chains.

The show of force to discourage a caravan of refugees at our southern border was distasteful and extreme. Small children are not guilty of much besides eating boogers. Desperate families trying to come here to earn paltry cash picking crops are not criminals. And the worst part is the entire administration is only encouraging the racism of those so-called Americans who think that Mexicans, Syrians, and anyone not obviously Anglo-Saxon is dirty, lazy, or naturally prone to crime.

I look Caucasian, but I'm part Cuban; my brother is dark and Hispanic in appearance, our dad was very Cubano looking, and his father was nearly black. Once we allow race to become a reason to deny anyone any of our basic rights, it won't stop at what we look like on the outside. (Papers proving your non-Jewish ancestry much?)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As long as these lawsuits are happening, can I sue Trump since it's been over a month and a half, and I still haven't received the rest of my tax refund?

Old Thunder

Reaction score
"Oh God of earth and altar, bow down and hear our cry
Our earthly rulers falter, our people drift and die
The walls of gold entomb us, the swords of scorn divide
Take not thy thunder from us
But take away our pride.
"
~ G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Since I was raised by a Beat and a hippie, I consider myself fairly left-wing. And I lived in southern AZ for 15 years, where this is an everyday issue.

Immigration: most people trying to enter this country, legally or not, are looking for work for themselves and education for their children. Are there drug cartels trying to get mules across the border? Yes. Should we penalize every person trying to get in for legit reasons? No. We should we offer a path to citizenship even for illegals, including literacy, job training and verification (just like for unemployment in every state: at least prove you are looking for work), education and what little social safety net is left. Building a yuuuuuuge wall is the most ineffective idea ever put forth to control a border, and especially heinous if we are to keep pretending that we value our history as a nation of immigrants. Yes, it's a tired saw, but unless you're a Native American, your ancestors came to this country, either seeking a better life for your family, or dragged onshore in chains.

The show of force to discourage a caravan of refugees at our southern border was distasteful and extreme. Small children are not guilty of much besides eating boogers. Desperate families trying to come here to earn paltry cash picking crops are not criminals. And the worst part is the entire administration is only encouraging the racism of those so-called Americans who think that Mexicans, Syrians, and anyone not obviously Anglo-Saxon is dirty, lazy, or naturally prone to crime.

I look Caucasian, but I'm part Cuban; my brother is dark and Hispanic in appearance, our dad was very Cubano looking, and his father was nearly black. Once we allow race to become a reason to deny anyone any of our basic rights, it won't stop at what we look like on the outside. (Papers proving your non-Jewish ancestry much?)
I have always believed that America is and supposed to be the land of opportunities. I have no problem with anyone of any race, gender or religion coming to America to better their lives and their families lives. I have also believed that they should make it easier for everyone who come to the states to become citizens, and also make it easier and less ilgial as well.
The only problem I have are with the ones that want to come to America to break our laws or to do Americans harm. That's where things become tricky because it's hard to filter those people out from the ones who are truly seeking a better life.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
And, once again, it all comes back to her froggin' emails! They just can't let it go!

I think it's more then just the emails, but I could be wrong.

Of all the stupidity . . . of all the ridiculousness . . . of all the political BS . . . of the emails . . . of everything.
I think you need to take a step back relax and hit the reset button.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if it was possible to make this all go away with the push of a button, or the flip of a switch, I would love that.