50 greatest shows of all time

Drtooth

Reaction score
How many of you have seen the special or magazine "TV guide's 50 greatest shows of all time?" I got to admit, It was a bad special, and I had problems with some of the choises. But Ones I liked were Taxi, Sesame Street (which is why I post this on a Muppet Board) Frasier, Cheers, I Love Lucy, HoneyMooners, Seinfeld, The Simpsons etc. etc.
# 47 was one of my favorite shows, Rocky and Bullwinkle. Besides Henson, Jay Ward is on the list of people I most Admire. I'm cleaning out a closet, so I can put my Moose and Squirrel Memorablia in it, making a shrine (I plan to do the same with the Muppets, once the figures come out!) I was outraged when the show was mentioned breifly in passing (not even a short clip!)

But I must confess, my main complaint is that Buffy the Vampire Slayer made the list. Why, oh, why is it considered a great TV show of all time? I don't even think it's good! It's campy, It's goofy, it moved from WB to UPN for crying out loud. There are thousands of shows I can think of better than that! (Untouchables, Dragnet, Flintstones) Most of the other shows were groundbreaking, or intellegent! Buffy is neither, in my opinion! And they spent five minutes on it. Half of it was Sarah Michell Gellar patting herself on the back, saying "I love me!" It's the only show she talked about! Probably the only one she knows of! I hate Miss Gellar!!! She's the reason I don't want to see Scooby Doo in theaters (I have to admit, it's type casting to make her the Ditz of the Mystery Inc. gang!) WHy couldn't they have picked, I dunno, The Muppet Show !?!?!? I'm sorry If I offended any fans, but to be up there with greats like Lucille Ball and Johnny Carson....

matleo

Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised that "Sid Caeser's Your Show of Shows" wasn't on there. I mean, it's practcially the grandfather of 20th Sentury Americacn comedy having been the start for someo f the most prolific comedy minds in the bsiness including, Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Woody Allen, and Larry Gelbart. As well as seting the stage for shows like SNL, Carol burnett and even our beloved Mupet Show.

I haven't seen anyone who has agreed with TV Guide's List so I haven't paid any attention to it. Ya know, when it comes down to it, who is this allmighty-TV GOD who says what the 50 greatest sohws have been? not worth getting all fussed up about if you ask me?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sid Caesar? On My list or theirs? It was among the 50 shows. I'm proud to say that at least the mighty Caesar was listed on mine as well. Of course, time constraints (of mine) forced me to etc. etc. some of them. But I'm surprised that the only Muppet thing listed was Sesame Street (two if you count Scred and the rest from Saturday Night Live.)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Maybe when I get back I"ll compile MY Top 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time!!!

Really, I think that show was just a blown-up version of a TV Guide commercial!!

FOZ

matleo

Reaction score
Oh Sid Caesar was? I must have missed it any time I saw their list? Like I said I didn't pay TOO much attention to it. it's just TV guide actin like they're all that again.

--matt

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
50 Greatest TV Shows

Well,I really don't pay attention to tv guide at all these days,cost too much & haven't bought one in years. Here's my fav. 50(the one's I watch,not in any order):

1. Seinfeld
  2. M*A*S*H
  3. All in the Family
  4. Quantum Leap
  5. CSI(William Peterson)
  6. Columbo
  7. ER
  8. Hill Street Blues
  9. Sopranos
  10. Gilligan's Island
  11. Bewitched
  12. Bugs Bunny Looney Tunes
  13. S** and the City
  14. Twillight Zone(original)
  15. Rosanne
  16. Home Improvement
  17. The Cosby Show
  18. Good Times
  19. Star Trek:TNG
  20. Frasier
  21. Cheers
  22. The Muppet Show
  23. Soap
  24. The Simpsons
  25. Mary Tyler Moore
  26. SNL(with NRFPP)
  27. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
  28. The Monkees
  29. Different Strokes
  30. Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour
  31. Carol Burnett and Friends
  32. Laugh In
  33. Friends
  34. Courtship of Eddie's Father
  35. Kroft Super Star Hour
  36. Jeopardy
  37. Three's Company
  38. Mork and Mindy
  39. WKRP in Cincinnati
  40. Facts of Life
  41. Will & Grace
  42. That 70s Show
  43. Drew Carey Show
  44. Who's Line is it Anyway?
  45. Sesame Street
  46. Trading Spaces
  47. QE4TSG
  48. Dick Van Dyke Show
  49. Happy Days
  50. Laverne & Shirley

Muppet Moppet

Reaction score
That list was just stupid (not yours, Janice). I mean, there were definitely some good picks, but a lot of it seemed to be just what's hip, as it were, and not what's truly great television. However, I have to agree with Matleo, that it's not worth getting worked up over.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
Yeah, TV is pretty much trash nowdays. As long as the shows keep up with the fads and popular culture they do well. Characterization, originality, and morals have all pretty much been thrown out the window. :sympathy:

P

Philo and Gunge

JaniceFerSure said:
  1. Bugs Bunny Looney Tunes
Do you think Looney Tunes would really count. They were cartoons shown in theaters so, um... yeah.