Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The second portion of the verse in Romans that noted racist Jeff Sessions used to support his tearing children away from families because God commands His followers to obey the law, is this bit that entirely negates anything he says: “Love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." I see no love in the Sessions-Trump policy.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
This country has no love. Period. Don’t @ me.
Really? I think we have plenty. The way that supporters are turning a blind eye to this, of all things, does not make sense to me. I am encouraged, however, by the supporters who are speaking out.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
This isn't quite politics, but it's very important and this topic has become all too political. I encourage people to read this entire editorial. If you haven't experienced something like this, there's no doubt in my mind you know someone who has. The kicker here is that she's obviously addressing Chris Hardwick. This kind of behavior is all too common and must be brought into the light:

Rose-Colored Glasses: A Confession.

Many of the things she states here, I've known in a few of my relationships. It's why I have no stomach for manipulation from attention-seekers, pot-stirrers or narcissists. Best to leave them be. ALWAYS. Don't worry, they have a way of blatantly telling you who they are in one way or another. Our world has become so small and people so lonely and that kind of accounts for both partners in such an abusive dance. The trick is to break the cycle without breaking one's self.

I invite everyone here to take a look at their relationships and, if there's anyone or anything truly toxic, to find a way to cut it out for your own benefit. These bottomless pit people will always try to draw you in. They'll use control, guilt, sympathy, compliments, public character assassination, along with many other tactics to keep the cycle going. I know that from experience. I'm just beginning to seriously date again (it's been 9 years since my last, very serious, relationship) and it's going to be tough, but I'm up for the challenge. I also have the rule of selected friends telling me their thoughts. Ones I trust. It kind of has to be that way for now. Anyway, this is good, but difficult, reading.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm glad to see more and more religious Americans (and even some irreligious) are taking people like Sessions and Sanders to task over how they're trying to Biblically justify ripping immigrant children away from their parents being deported, and locking them in virtual makeshift concentration camps. And it's ironic too, because much of what the Bible says about the treatment of immigrants, refugees, and aliens are in the Old Testament - y'know, the one the religious and political right is always so stuck on? You'd think they'd take heed of those words - because they sure don't follow the New Testament where Jesus tells us point-blank to love one another and treat each other as we wish to be treated.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I’m extremely glad Cardinal Dolan is speaking out against this. :smile:

Especially since, as usual, the only time the left and the media mentions Christianity is to complain when its followers fall sort. Or when one of them likes Dolan says something vaguely liberal.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm glad to see more and more religious Americans (and even some irreligious) are taking people like Sessions and Sanders to task over how they're trying to Biblically justify ripping immigrant children away from their parents being deported, and locking them in virtual makeshift concentration camps. And it's ironic too, because much of what the Bible says about the treatment of immigrants, refugees, and aliens are in the Old Testament - y'know, the one the religious and political right is always so stuck on? You'd think they'd take heed of those words - because they sure don't follow the New Testament where Jesus tells us point-blank to love one another and treat each other as we wish to be treated.
The truth is that, whatever the religion or established philosophy, certain followers will make tentative connections from verses and phrases in order to frankenstein them together in order to say what the person wants them to say. It's like a Rube Goldberg Machine. These unrelated pieces are absurdly assembled in order to reach a premeditated conclusion just like this automatic back scratcher. I mean, wouldn't just getting a long fork or, better yet, a friend make more sense? Sure. But then there wouldn't be justification. :wink:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
A lot of people skip over the Old Testament and just concentrate on the New. (How they can pass over Psalms and Proverbs is beyond me).
Many of them are on the right track about following Jesus. Being kind to others, helping the poor, all that is important.
But there's one step in being Christ-like many miss out on.

On many occasions, especially when his end was near, Jesus went off alone to pray for wisdom and guidance.
When the Pharisees were going to stone the woman for being a prostitute, Jesus knelt down and drew in the sand, but he was also asking God how to handle the situation. After a few minutes of making them wait, he urged,"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Spared the woman her life, and the gang broke up.

But that last little part about praying for guidance, as small as it seems, it's necessary to complete the equation.