Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
One of the best ways to start repairing the cracks in this country is to finally embrace words for what they are - to quote George Carlin, "They're only words!" If people stopped getting offended for every little thing and actually started accepting the language and allowing others to use it, people would get ticked off less, there'd be more happiness, and we'd finally learn to let these words exist and be done with it. If we don't accept that such language exists and people can say it, then all through life it's gonna be tough for you. Instead, just embrace them, stop policing language, and we might get somewhere. The less people look at such words as "foul", "corruptible", "offensive", etc, the faster we'll get on track to reaching a point where we can all live as one. We may even see a good decline in racism. "Blacks can say the N-word and I can't??" Y'know? IDK, I think it's time we put petty **** like language aside and actually let freedom of speech take place and we might see something good happen. Not that I'm advocating the use of bigoted terms outright, but if we get used to them their impact will lessen on us and they'll eventually just become another part of the English language. Y'know?
I get what you're saying However,f*ggot means something different to me as a gay man than it does other gay folk who endured far more in their lives with that word being the centerpiece. It's much easier to tell people to get over things than it is for us to stop ourselves, to apologize and to empathize. It's out of bounds to tell any black person, a person with a history of slavery, segregation, persecution, and lynching in their family history, that the N word is just a word and that they shouldn't be so sensitive. We ALL have certain words, phrases or topics that set us off when people are careless with them. I get the point, but we're nowhere near there. Not by a mile.

Last edited:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I don't get offended by words easily (I have a huge sailor mouth), but I will raise an eyebrow and think "do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" If I hear someone use racial slurs or whatever.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The original Star Trek in the ’60s already covered this when Uhura said, “You see, in our century, we’ve learned not to fear words.”

So much of both the left and right’s agenda can be traced back to fear.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sticks and stones may break mah bones, but werds cain't ever hurt meh.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
You know, a friend of a friend of mine on Facebook today brought up a good point.

Even though I don't like Hillary, I really wish conservatives (and liberals, for that matter, too) would stop bringing her up just because she isn't running for office from the looks of it and honestly, her attempt is pretty much in the past now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Nah, she's done for.

But as I've said before, honestly, I feel like conservatives wanted her to win more than liberals . . . mainly because liberals didn't even want her in the first place, they wanted Bernie; but secondly, it's conservatives who won't shut up about her losing. "Hillary lost! Get over it!" Uh, nobody's not over it. Nobody's talking about it. Nobody is obsessing over her. Except conservatives.

Not to mention those emails. . . . :wink:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Guilty or not, I just don't even care about the emails thing anymore.

Anytime I hear people bring her up, unfollow.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I will mention is how it doesn't matter to me that McCain is still trying to bad-mouth Trump . . . I ain't buyin' it. McCain - war hero or not - is another prime example of how Republican politicians will say and/or do anything to win you over, then stab you in the back after they get what they want. He bad-mouthed Trump, and even said having brain cancer has opened his eyes to healthcare needing to be a right and not a privilege, and said that he would vote against Trump's pisspoor tax plan when the time came . . . and then the time came, and what did he do? He voted for it anyway, because he saw how, as a wealthy conservative politician, he was going to benefit from it. And now he's back to bad-mouthing Trump. Uh-uh. Sorry. You can't try to win us over, betray us, then try to win us over again. War hero or not.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
One thing I will mention is how it doesn't matter to me that McCain is still trying to bad-mouth Trump . . . I ain't buyin' it. McCain - war hero or not - is another prime example of how Republican politicians will say and/or do anything to win you over, then stab you in the back after they get what they want.
Everyone from both parties is capable of this partisan, duplicitous behavior. The way you single out Republicans just ends up sounding like if someone said, "Oh you know those black people, they'll always stab you in the back!" Or the way Trump supporters go, "Just like a libtard, always lying!"