The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Been thinking about some things that would be cool for Muppet Wiki regarding it's Sesame Street guides.

For a few weeks, I thought it'd be cool to start pages (maybe sandbox pages) listing all known first appearances of inserts. It'd probably take a bit of time, but would be cool to have instant access to knowing where a sketch made it's first appearance. And since we'd know they're the first appearance, there could be such pages for every season's firsts (so there wouldn't be one long list of first appearances). I've been told that the scripts referenced from the "trusted sources" guides do indicate whether a segment was making its first appearance in an episode (looking at an episode page won't note whether it's first/the earliest known appearance). But I do wonder about this for segments that were clearly part of a street story originally and then were repeated as an insert later on.

Recently, somebody proposed doing away with noting firsts/EKAs on episode pages in favor of a way to just click on the sketch image which would list every episode page that it's included in. I liked the idea (though I really wanted both that as well as the first/eka notations on the sketch pages), but I think others didn't really like the idea and think they abandoned the idea (then again, I did click on one sketch photo, a few times, and saw the episode numbers in order).

With all these new guides compiled from trusted sources, I wouldn't be surprised if we get pages for every episode within a few years (it'd be really cool if we did by the time of the 50th anniversary). I'm really not sure whether they have scripts for every single episode (or possibly just every episode that the wiki does not have a page for). I feel I've seen talk that implies every episode but I could be misunderstanding (and I saw in an edit history summary for either season 22 or 23 that at least one of those scripts was clearly not the final aired version so a page won't be compiled from that info), but if the wiki were to get full rundowns of every single episode, it'd be cool to do something to determine how much of each season is represented in a single episode (well, every first season episode is represented with just the first season....). Maybe color-code the scene descriptions by season, or make a bar/pie graph showing how many clips originated in this season and how many were from that season, etc. Maybe even determine the ratio of new content to old content. But first we'd have to have complete info on every episode.

Recently, before the news that a few wiki administrators got episode info from trusted sources, I had been thinking it would be cool to look through every page and list all episodes the wiki has that a segment appears in, and determine what segments appeared in the highest number of episodes noted on the wiki. That would probably take a bit of time (if I had started on it the moment I thought of it, I might have been able to do so in time for the 50th anniversary). But if we get complete rundowns from every episode within a few years, then we could determine what segments are in the highest number of episodes (though it would probably take more time than if we just searched through what the wiki notes on the guides).

One thing I've been thinking about, and I thought about asking on the Muppet Wiki forum, would be a slight expansion of the Elmo's World episode guide page. Mainly something that, when looking through the list of episodes from the original format, would note whether there's been an HD edit or not.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
I can hardly believe it's been over two years since Zootopia was released in the US. It's the only movie so far that I've seen on its opening day, and I absolutely loved it and still do.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I can hardly believe it's been over two years since Zootopia was released in the US. It's the only movie so far that I've seen on its opening day, and I absolutely loved it and still do.
Both that and Inside Out are probably the animated movies that have been released in the past 5 years.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like Muppet Wiki has pages for almost every episode of Sesame Street I remember seeing as a kid back in the late-1980s and early-1990s.

There's not many left that I haven't found a page with info on (and the episodes could have pages without mentioning certain episode details I remember). One episode I remember that I can't find any info on on the wiki is one where Oscar has a trash sale (not the one from season 30). I also recall one time when Gina was crying and told Big Bird she was crying because she was so happy, I'm assuming that was around the time she graduated high school, or maybe she was accepted into college/about to enter college. I also remember a time (which could be from the same episode I just mentioned) where Susan explains to Big Bird about what Miles has to do before he's ready for college. I also remember one time, I think it was the end of the episode (and I think the episode involved daycare or pre-school for several characters), Irvine was inside the trash can Bruno was carrying, with Oscar in his can in his usual spot talking to Irvine.

Thanks to the trusted sources (and a handful of episodes that it turns out some fans had, at least partially), there are guides for episodes I remember seeing around the early 1990s (of course either season 22 or 23, can't remember which, has full guides for all but two episodes now). Such as the episode involving water conservation, I remember thinking as a kid that Hooper's Store was just out of water and thinking it was because people wasted it ("wasted" was a term I often heard as a bad thing without really knowing what it meant or how you could waste things like food or water), it was great reading about the scene where Biff fixed a faucet at Hooper's, I thought that was why they didn't have water (and I was wondering what Biff actually did... I figured he'd mess up but the guide said he just pounded it with his hammer and it got fixed). I used to think Biff and Sully were plumbers because of that scene, looking at the guide it seems like Mr. Handford just asked Biff to fix it instead of calling a proper plumber.

And it's great to see a guide for the episode where Mr. Johnson eats at Hooper's Store (which was repeated... too bad we can't have images yet). I don't remember Bob being there. I'd kinda like to see the scenes again, see what it's like when Grover called begging for Johnson to show up (I remember a Waiter Grover segment appearing, I think I thought they showed the one with Simon Soundman instead), and I'd like to see if Grover was actually shown at the end when Johnson sees Grover eating his order. Interestingly, this one has the one where Grover uses his waiter memory, and that segment would also be included in the episode where Hoots has Savion work at Birdland, showing it as an example of what not to do as a waiter... I guess they liked using that one when a Waiter Grover segment had to connect to the plot.

And it was great to read about the season 23 episode where the gang votes on whether to buy crayons or juice and Telly is the tie breaker. A short description (taken from a news article) was on the wiki, actually not mentioning Telly, I was surprised to hear about Rosita being in it, I actually don't remember her from that time. I was also surprised to see that it's from season 23, I always misremembered it coming earlier to when Mr. Handford was introduced (I briefly contemplated that maybe the plot was repeated from two years ago, but I doubt they would have repeated any street stories with the original Mr. Handford).

One episode that recently got a guide (this time with pictures) that I'm actually surprised I forgot about is one from season 25 or 26 where Big Bird makes a new friend who wants to play pirates, while Big Bird would rather play Duck Duck Goose. For all these years (that I could remember) I thought he was playing with Goldilocks instead of some new character, though it was made from the same Anything Muppet and looked similar (I'm guessing Camille Bonora performed her with the same voice). I should probably see if this one's on YouTube.

It is interesting looking at guides for episodes I remember seeing but hadn't seen in so long, seeing what sketches were included, recalling segments that I remembered seeing around the time, but also in looking at guides for episodes I don't really remember, seeing segments listed that I remember seeing at the time and wondering, "did I see this one?" Especially if it's a clip I only remember seeing once as a child before the age of the internet and YouTube (there's a few episodes with "Put It in the Trash Can", which I only recall seeing once, I keep asking myself "did I see this episode???").

I don't think there's any inserts I recall seeing as a young child that I haven't seen since childhood (in English). Then again, I do remember seeing a Miami Mice segment without Kermit or Ernie, it could be the one with The Count (which is only online in dubbed form), or could there be another one we don't have info on? Because while I remember a third one, I don't remember it having The Count or any familiar characters, but I could be wrong. And maybe someday I'll see a segment I saw as a child that I forgot about and instantly recall seeing it when I do.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I was actually watching Michael Jackson's "Beat It" music video high last night, and it's like the video got 10x more dark.

But, at the same time, it's actually made me wonder. You know how alot of his songs/music videos could get pretty dark? I wonder if he was into watching alot of horror/drama movies back in the day.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
But, at the same time, it's actually made me wonder. You know how alot of his songs/music videos could get pretty dark? I wonder if he was into watching alot of horror/drama movies back in the day.
Well, I was just watching West Side Story a few days ago. I'm 90% certain that both the Beat It and Bad music videos were based on that, at least in part.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've recently noticed that the various Pixar sequels have come out almost a decade (or more) after the first (or previous). In fact right now it seems we're in a period where most Pixar movies are sequels - we just recently got Finding Dory, Cars 3, and now The Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4 is set to come out next year.

The gap between Toy Story 1 and 2 was probably the shortest, with a four-year wait... Though when I was a kid, I felt like the wait was a really long time. And then we got Toy Story 3 eleven years later and will be getting Toy Story 4 nine years later. Cars seems to have a similarly shorter gap between sequels - We got three Toy Story movies over fifteen years and three Cars movies in I think eleven years.

But then we got Monsters University thirteen years after Monsters, Inc., Finding Dory about twelve years after Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles 2 fourteen years after The Incredibles. By the time Pixar's sequels come out, they have an audience that had grown up with the movies (though I was a couple years away from being a teenager when Toy Story came out so I don't know if I count as "growing up" with them).

It seems similar with Disney's animation canon. Pretty much all the sequels that count as canon (so just The Resceuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, and 2011's Winnie the Pooh) came out long after the first. Of course the same can be said about most of the other sequels, the direct-to-video sequels (though some did come relatively shortly after the firsts, like the Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Lion King sequels). There's also the fact that Walt Disney didn't want to make sequels to his animated films. And both Disney's main animation studio and Pixar typically release only one film a year, so I wonder, at least for Pixar, if it's hard to decide if they'd rather put out a sequel or an original film.