The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Good friend of mine from Landmark College is getting married tomorrow....

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
You know what I was actually thinking of?

I remember when I was probably just a year old, maybe 2, I went downstairs into the basement for the first time and explored how cool it was. I remember my dad and my uncle on my dad's side (I believe) were downstairs playing pool, but the basement still wasn't decorated yet, so it was just foam inside paper bags on each wall. I remember exploring the empty basement and thought it looked really cool (and what was even cooler was there was an old Mst3k poster that hung up on them near the pool table; I remember finding it intriguing at the time since I would watch bits and pieces of it with my parents before I actually got into the show a few years later). But I also remember being mind blown when later on we got the walls put in and decorated the basement with furniture (at the unfortunate cost of the poster being ripped, but 20 years later, I now have my own hanging up in my room after snagging a copy off eBay, what luck!) and it looked 10x cooler! It was almost like it was in my own imagination that the basement was once an empty part of the house (to which I later learned it wasn't).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You know what I was actually thinking of?

I remember when I was probably just a year old, maybe 2, I went downstairs into the basement for the first time and explored how cool it was. I remember my dad and my uncle on my dad's side (I believe) were downstairs playing pool, but the basement still wasn't decorated yet, so it was just foam inside paper bags on each wall. I remember exploring the empty basement and thought it looked really cool (and what was even cooler was there was an old Mst3k poster that hung up on them near the pool table; I remember finding it intriguing at the time since I would watch bits and pieces of it with my parents before I actually got into the show a few years later). But I also remember being mind blown when later on we got the walls put in and decorated the basement with furniture (at the unfortunate cost of the poster being ripped, but 20 years later, I now have my own hanging up in my room after snagging a copy off eBay, what luck!) and it looked 10x cooler! It was almost like it was in my own imagination that the basement was once an empty part of the house (to which I later learned it wasn't).
When I was little, our basement wasn't finished either. The walls were bare cinder bricks, and a bare concrete floor. (My dad mixed a lot of paint, so spilling it on the floor was no big deal).
When I was five the basement got finished. My dad and my uncle put up walls, ceiling tiles, laid tile on the floor, looked pretty impressive when he was done.
There would still be one corner for his tools, that still had the bare brick wall and concrete floor.
And later we got a pool table also. 8)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The fact that I'm finding myself having to make more trips to the bathroom during the night than I used to.

That seems to be one of the biggest old codger stereotypes, lol.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I was watching a custom Thomas video I made high last night (Whistles and Sneezes and Other Stories; cause why not?) And honestly.... It really made me think.

Me being, well, one of the two big Thomas fans on this site (the other being @Old Thunder), I remember the memories of just watching my tapes all the time as a kid and renting them from video stores and libraries and eventually buying more and more.

I'm sorry, but the CGI series will never hold up to the model days. The stories have improved, I will say that, but the CGI just looks awful. :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Same.

Not only that, but most kids today also don't recognize hard-line telephones (even cordless), or alarm clocks (old-fashioned or digital).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Same.

Not only that, but most kids today also don't recognize hard-line telephones (even cordless), or alarm clocks (old-fashioned or digital).
Yep, I guess phones and alarm clocks are the same thing now.
I'm only 16, so I'm not sure if I should really be posting in here, but...

Just the fact that today's kids don't know what VHS is. :concern: I grew up watching VHS tapes (though I also watched DVDs, too), and I still have my VCR hooked up in my room right now!
It's so odd to me. I grew up with them too, and still watch them on a regular basis. Every time one of my friends visits my house and sees our old tapes, the reaction is always "Whoa, you guys have video tapes?!? I haven't seen those in years!" or "Wow! VHS, i've never seen those in person". It makes me feel like my house is a museum.