"The Happytime Murders" premieres August 24, 2018

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I don’t know but, honestly it’s more of the marketing team that’s doing this rather than the Henson Company. I remember Brian saying in interview that he was trying to avoid Sesame Street/Muppet references in the film.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
The Happytime Murders and the people making it have basically told everyone “**** you, we don’t care about you, get the **** out of our way, and enjoy the movie you ***********!!”

I love it. I’m really hyped now. The balls on these people are fantastic.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they've been working on this before long before Steve's departure, and Disney isn't even involved with the movie.
If I remember correctly I heard that movie has been in the works since 2010.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be some corny R-rated jokes, but I'm still excited none the less.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Goes back to my point of when I hate when people assume that all puppet stuff is for kids.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I agree with what Shane said a few posts back, that blue comedy can work in the right context, but then there's blue comedy that's utilized purely for shock value and for the sake of pushing blue . . . and this movie does seem to be doing the latter. I'm not saying puppets can't be adult, because they can: Sid & Marty Krofft started out doing a burlesque show with marionettes, and we all know Jim pushed hard to prove that puppets could be for adults as much as for kids. I get what the Hensons are doing with this movie, wanting to prove that puppets can be for adults as well, but there's also the hope that this movie will be successful enough to bring puppetry to a more mainstream status, which would actually be wonderful! That being said, however, my main concern is with how blue this movie is, and how hard they're pushing the adult humor and raunchy content that if this movie does, indeed, become successful, that this will end up dividing puppetry into kids only and adults only, much like successful adult cartoons like Matt Groening and Seth McFarlane's stuff has done for animation.