The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One other distinctive feature of Season 1 was the use of speech balloons above the cast's heads.
Once Skip and Judy were having a romantic dinner in a fancy restaurant. Dressed to the nines, champagne, big night out.

Skip: "Would you give me your hand?"
Judy: "Yes, if..."
Skip: "If what?"
Judy: "If..."
Skip: "If what?! If what?!"
Judy: "IF YOU PROMISE TO GIVE IT BACK!!!!"

And she hands him a mannequin's hand, with rings and painted fingernails.

Judy is cracking up over her joke, while poor Skip strokes the hand against his cheek.

Check, please. 8)

Xerus

Reaction score
One other distinctive feature of Season 1 was the use of speech balloons above the cast's heads.
Once Skip and Judy were having a romantic dinner in a fancy restaurant. Dressed to the nines, champagne, big night out.

Skip: "Would you give me your hand?"
Judy: "Yes, if..."
Skip: "If what?"
Judy: "If..."
Skip: "If what?! If what?!"
Judy: "IF YOU PROMISE TO GIVE IT BACK!!!!"

And she hands him a mannequin's hand, with rings and painted fingernails.

Judy is cracking up over her joke, while poor Skip strokes the hand against his cheek.

Check, please. 8)
Oh yeah, I remember that. At first, I almost thought that Judy removed her actual hand.

Xerus

Reaction score
Fuzzygobo, Have you noticed in season 1, how all of the scenery mostly consisted of cardboard clouds in everything? When the later seasons happened, they started adding more backgrounds like offices, buildings, schools, houses, and even scenes with blue sky.

Xerus

Reaction score
The Spellbinder actually makes a spell that almost destroys the entire world by bread. And I love how he teases the narrator at the end.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Fuzzygobo, Have you noticed in season 1, how all of the scenery mostly consisted of cardboard clouds in everything? When the later seasons happened, they started adding more backgrounds like offices, buildings, schools, houses, and even scenes with blue sky.
Yes, and I thought that was so cool. All the psychedelic clouds, looking like the TEC logo. I wanted to paint my basement like that, but my parents wouldn't hear of it. As time went on, the scenery got more conventional, but Season 1 was pure eye candy.

Xerus

Reaction score
This was a rare Letterman episode I remember seeing only once and was hardly ever shown again. We see a jail where the Spellbinder was put behind bars. SB takes out his wand and changes the B in BARS into ST creating STARS. SB found himself surrounded in stars floating in space. SB couldn't stand the beautiful stars, so he turned the ST in STARS into CIG creating CIGARS. SB lit up all the cigars in space and started puffing on them all, covering the entire Earth in smoke. Letterman flew out of an apartment window and made his way through the smoke to the word. Then Letterman removed the ST from his sweater and turns all the CIGARS back into STARS. The Spellbinder was hiding behind an asteroid angrily as he watched Letterman ride a comet back to Earth. I guess they stopped showing that episode because of the Spellbinder smoking and not wanting to show cigars on a kids' show.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Another gem from season 1:
Skip, Morgan, and Bill dressed in sweats.
Off screen, Rita says "Kick". Skip takes a football and kicks it to the rafters. "Kicked".
Morgan does the same. But Cosby fumbles big time. "Missed".

Next the guys pick up a spring puller (haven't seen these in years!)
"Pull".
Skip stretches out the springs (this will give you a workout).
"Pulled".
Morgan repeats the exercise.
Cosby gets up but only stretches the springs an inch.
"Pulled!"
Rita: "A little".

Next drill, barbells.
"Lift".
Skip manages to get the weights over his head.
"Lifted".
Same with Morgan.
Cosby struggles even as the other two spot him.
"Lifted!"
Rita: "Lifted?" And she laughs her head off.
Cosby tells the others
"Get away! I'll do it myself!"
They step back, and Cosby and the barbells crash to the floor.

Rita: "Finished".

The funny part was, at Temple University, Cosby was a Physical Ed. major, lettered in football and track, and here he is playing a 90 pound weakling.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Hey @Xerus , do you know what we forgot?

A Very Short Book.
Usually reserved for the last segment of the show, great spoofs on nursery rhymes, from Season 2 onward.
Everybody got a chance to narrate, everybody got a chance to act.

My favorite was Cosby as Old King Cole.
Old King Cole was a merry old soul, and a merry old soul was he (throwing confetti and blowing party horns).

He called for his pipe and he called for his bowl (to blow bubbles).

And he called for his fiddlers three. In comes June Angela miming a snatch of the TEC theme on a violin.

Cosby(with marbles in his mouth): "You're not the meufjkktev())$@?:;$ fiddlers three!"
June: "I know! I'm a fiddler nine-and-a-half, going on ten!"

The look Cosby gives us is priceless.

The End
And Joe Raposo, nice celesta playing. Sounds like a music box.