The Nostalgia Thread

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
What are some things that you experienced at some point in your life that totally changed the trajectory of your life? Some things that really shaped who you guys are today?

For me, a couple of things. For one, the A&E bio on Sesame Street. That was the first time I had seen any of the performer, the first time I got to see what went on behind the scenes, how the puppets worked. It's what made me decide to be a puppeteer.

Another thing is Muppets Make Puppets, a book I got when I was 6, written by Cheryl Henson about puppet making. First, it spawned my interest in puppet building, but also it was the first time I found out what Jim Henson looked like, how long he lived, what characters he played, and it was the first time I found out about Frank Oz...
For some reason, I still cannot see one of the images.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Another thing is Muppets Make Puppets, a book I got when I was 6, written by Cheryl Henson about puppet making. First, it spawned my interest in puppet building, but also it was the first time I found out what Jim Henson looked like, how long he lived, what characters he played, and it was the first time I found out about Frank Oz...
Dude, sammmmme! This is one of the first books I got about puppetry, and I still have it to this very day! Ahh... brings back memories of making sock puppets!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What are some things that you experienced at some point in your life that totally changed the trajectory of your life? Some things that really shaped who you guys are today?

For me, a couple of things. For one, the A&E bio on Sesame Street. That was the first time I had seen any of the performer, the first time I got to see what went on behind the scenes, how the puppets worked. It's what made me decide to be a puppeteer.
Copycat. :stick_out_tongue:

But, no, in all seriousness, this is exactly what happened to me as well.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Dude, sammmmme! This is one of the first books I got about puppetry, and I still have it to this very day! Ahh... brings back memories of making sock puppets!
Yeah, I still have it too! Though, now I do regret not taking better care of it. The pages aren't attached to the spine of the book anymore and a lot of them are missing including the page that showed a list of Jim and Frank's characters. But, i'm still glad I have as much as I have.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Yeah, I still have it too! Though, now I do regret not taking better care of it. The pages aren't attached to the spine of the book anymore and a lot of them are missing including the page that showed a list of Jim and Frank's characters. But, i'm still glad I have as much as I have.
Mhm. I think my local library had it so I checked it out at least 10 times, but then eventually I got my own copy, lol. It's a great book for not just kids, but for people who want to get into puppetry period.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone ever remember these series of videos called "Fun in a Box"? I checked these out at the local library a couple times as a kid and loved them (they were up there with the Children's Circle and Thomas videos), but it seems like no one else remembers them as the only thing I could find was this drawn-on-film animated short called "Metal Dogs from India" by Chel White. It's about as trippy as you'd expect.

I was able to find the actual videos on Amazon, and it seems like the series didn't go beyond these two. Sad.

https://www.amazon.com/Bens-Dream-Other-Stories-Fun/dp/6302068916

https://www.amazon.com/New-Friends-Other-Stories-Fun/dp/6302068924

Last edited:

snichols1973

Reaction score
If any of you had ever been to a dentist's office a generation or two ago, you might have remembered seeing these: