Little things we've noticed

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think Cosby clips would be recycled anyway. Not necessarily because of his current stature but the clips date back to 1970
I think he meant more of whether they'd avoid including it online or on a video compilation (hopefully they won't cut it if they ever release an episode with one of those segments) or leave out of something like an anniversary retrospective. I had wondered whether this has made Sesame Workshop avoid any further releases/broadcasts of the original Electric Company.

Of course I thought Sesame Workshop uploaded one Bill Cosby clip onto its YouTube channel, I just searched to see and judging from the first page of search results it seems like either they didn't or they pulled it. Yeah, there's more search pages, but it seems clips officially uploaded by Sesame Workshop tend to show up on the first page results (and I think SW only uploaded one Bill Cosby clip if they did).

Of course, The Jim Henson Company hasn't removed any Cosby clips they uploaded from the 20th anniversary special.

cjd874

Reaction score
Many of the SS episodes from the 1970s featured multiple characters played by one performer. I looked through some of the Muppet Wiki episode guides for SS Seasons 5-7, and in these episodes the street scenes often involved Muppets played by Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson, alongside Caroll Spinney's Big Bird and Oscar. It makes sense to vary the routine for the performers, writers, and ultimately the audience so that nobody worked with/saw only Big Bird and Oscar day after day (not that there's anything majorly wrong with that).

This makes me wonder if the writers wrote material based on the Muppeteers' availability. For example, if Frank Oz was around for a week of taping, did this affect what got written, rehearsed, and filmed? How did they decide whether to have Frank perform Cookie Monster, Bert, Grover, or (going out on a limb) Harvey Kneeslapper? The same would apply to Jerry and occasionally Jim and Richard, I suppose.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know because of Jim and Frank's busy schedules that often times if their characters were featured briefly in those My Sesame Street Home Video tapes, somebody else would physically perform them, while they dubbed their voices. It was pointed out an example of this from "Big Bird's Storytime," where Kermit shows up at the end to join Big Bird and Snuffy for naptime: Kevin reportedly performed Kermit while Jim dubbed the dialogue.

I think I've figured out another such example from "Monster Hits!": Cookie Monster says, "Thank you, thank you. Thank you, thank you. Monster . . . thank you," three times, and each time it sounds exactly the same. Not sure who actually performed Cookie on the set for that, unless maybe it was Richard, since he clearly performed Herry's Mommy earlier in the video, and we've seen he's performed Frank's characters before when he wasn't in the studio.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
David Rudman was Herry's mom in that video, actually. I'm pretty sure he also did CM in that too (how prophetic).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I could have sworn it was Richard; it sounded a little like Don Music if Don Music was a monster.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The tile on Hooper's Store has always been black and yellow, however I've noticed in illustrated form, and even on those older playsets, it's a variety of different colors, including green and yellow, blue and yellow, blue and white, and black and white.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I was just thinking of the fact that "Body Rythyms" by Little Jerry is from season 11 (as evident by the 1979 date).

It kind of surprised me, given how, while the picture had that late 70's sharper picture look to it, the puppets looked a bit more pudgy and beat up (I honestly thought the song was from seasons 5/6, given that they also looked pretty similar to their season 6 appearances).

But, given that there was a 4 season gap in between, I can see why the workshop hadn't built the puppets in awhile when switching up characters.

But hey, it does bring me to an interesting point.

Looks to me like the puppets appeared in season skips during their time from seasons 2-6.

Season 2 (though also remembering the fact that they weren't even thought of as a band yet in any of these skits):

"Surprise!"
"The Garden"
The exit and walk skits with Grover
"Mad!"
And the scatting skit

Season. 4:
Proud
Sad

Season 6:

Telephone Rock
Danger
Mary Had a Bycicle

And then everything else was all album stuff or once in a while appearances

Season 11:
"Body Rythyms"

I'm gonna guess season 19:

Little Jerry visiting Gina

Season 21:
Mountain of Love
Their Enterprise in Rock n Roll
And some Big Jeffy and Little Chrissy bits (the duo also having two street appearances in seasons 22 and 23).

Season 31:
Jerry visiting the street again

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I feel like I've been experiencing a "Mandela effect" regarding episodes featuring certain segments.

For years, I thought that Batman: Clean and Dirty Windows was in episode 179, the one that fans only have a black and white copy of. I hadn't noticed an image from it, I feel I might have ignored that, and I never bothered to look up that segment on YouTube, but I assumed fans had it, only in black and white. Then I saw it listed in a sandbox page for unidentified segments (and segments without images) as well as being mentioned in a YouTube on the top lost clips from the show, so I looked back and saw that the episode in question had the crossing the street segment.

I noticed that the First Season Show Content at the CTW Archives doesn't list episode numbers for Jazz #7, #9, or #10, noticed it for years, but a few years ago, when video copies of most of the first 16 episodes surfaced, I thought I saw #7 mentioned in some of the guides past #12 (the one that didn't surface). Of course looking at those files, there are some segments that don't have episodes listed that have been confirmed to have aired in the first season, such as "Balloons II (Big Bird and monster)", which is in the same episode as "Balloons I" (I guess it was lumping them as a two-part segment and only listed the episode for the first segment, though there are many segments listed multiple times with the same title and a number by it, like the Rocket Countdown amd Dots Bridge series', and the K Cheers, and the F Cheers).

On a non-wiki Mandela Effect, I feel like in the early days of the Sesame Street video player, they had K Cheer Version 1 and K Cheer Version 2, much like they had all five versions of the F Cheer, but within a year I realized that it only had one K Cheer. I wondered if maybe it was there and taken down, and it's possible I was mistaking that site for YouTube or DailyMotion or something.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I could have sworn it was Richard; it sounded a little like Don Music if Don Music was a monster.
I can understand that. David's voice does have a bit of a Richard hint when he says "I couldn't have done it without you, son!"

Also, since you brought it up - I remember as a kid wondering why Cookie's "Thank you, thank you! Monster, thank you!" Sounded the same. Until, obviously, years later, I learned it was pre-recorded audio.

(I also wouldn't have guessed that Kevin performed Kermit at the end of the Big Bird's storytime video. It would be cool to see some raw footage of it before it was dubbed).