"The Happytime Murders" premieres August 24, 2018

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Fun fact: Sometimes lesser-known comedic actors suck and the popular ones actually deserve their popularity.
Not always. Case in point: Steve Carrell. Stiff, wooden, deadpan, no emotion, no connection. Yet, he was everywhere in the late 2000s and early New Tens. Then you got the ones who are always typecast in the same roles over and over again, like Will Ferrell as arrogant, shallow, one-note, sketch show-esque *********, or Kristen Wiig as awkwardly stupid or stupidly awkward dumb broads.

There's plenty of cases where the lesser-known comedic actors are basically held back by the powers that be, especially when it comes to women, and even SNL wasn't immune to that.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Oh no, a difference of opinion on Muppet Central. Quick, ban everybody involved. ;P

They developed this steamer for 10 years. Looks like Brian Henson should have sat on it for another 10. This hurts the chances of him continuing to make movies, which is sad, as he is actually a talented filmmaker.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And from the sounds of it, this may possibly hurt the chances of puppetry having a more prominent place in mainstream entertainment . . . even though, as I said, if it did, then it'd probably only further divide puppetry into kids only or adults only.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Just watched it and WOW that was bad!

Bill Barretta was on point with his performance and Melissa McCarthy was actually pretty good, but the rest of it was unfunny and crude for the sake of being crude.
I have already made my decision after seeing the trailer. I agree with you that gratuitous crudity is not funny at all. I have enjoyed some adult humour shows some of them Muppet related, for example, Muppets Tonight, but this oversteps the mark for me personally.

Therefore I'll be giving this movie a miss.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
It sounds like that if Brian Henson were to make another adult puppet film, the shock value (speaking in terms of sex and violence) should at least be toned down.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Funny how Brian kept swearing that the R-rated content wasn't R-rated for the sake of being R-rated, yet this is what so many people are complaining about: the R-rated content for the sake of being R-rated.

Honestly, when Brian kept saying that the content was R-rated in an organic way that would make sense in context in real-life situations, it really makes me wonder . . . what kind of "real-life situations" are we talking about where such R-rated behavior would be "organic"? Orgies? Frat houses? It kind of reminds me how they said the reason the movie BRIDESMAIDS was so successful was because it "finally" gave real women characters they could "actually relate to" . . . I'd hate to meet the kind of women who would relate to such characters as those.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Funny how Brian kept swearing that the R-rated content wasn't R-rated for the sake of being R-rated, yet this is what so many people are complaining about: the R-rated content for the sake of being R-rated.

Honestly, when Brian kept saying that the content was R-rated in an organic way that would make sense in context in real-life situations, it really makes me wonder . . . what kind of "real-life situations" are we talking about where such R-rated behavior would be "organic"? Orgies? Frat houses? It kind of reminds me how they said the reason the movie BRIDESMAIDS was so successful was because it "finally" gave real women characters they could "actually relate to" . . . I'd hate to meet the kind of women who would relate to such characters as those.
Obviously there is a conflict between the way Brian sees it and the way all these people speaking out see it. It makes me wonder though Snowth, just what exactly is the definition of R-rating for the sake of being an R-rating? What is the point of such a statement?

I can't see any logical explanation except that the sake of being would be that Brian wanted it to have R-rated material. Then those of us who object to R-rated themes for the sake of it, simply means that we vehemently disagree about the way Brian wanted to make his movie like. So in effect Brian's protests that he didn't make it this way for the sake of it is him saying that he doesn't care what the critics say about it.

And on top of that it gets even more confusing because I just said the rating for the ratings sake would mean that he wanted it to have that rating. So his statement of protest contradicts what I perceive as the logical definition.

Last edited:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Obviously there is a conflict between the way Brian sees it and the way all these people speaking out see it. It makes me wonder though Snowth, just what exactly is the definition of R-rating for the sake of being an R-rating? What is the point of such a statement?
Like let's make it as raunchy as possible just because R-rated = adult and they want to push that puppets can be for adults too... when his dad proved that decades ago.

It's like they had a checklist for the film of things that make a film rated R, but whatever; this thread is becoming an echo chamber.