Sesame Street Episode 847 with Margaret Hamilton

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I have a question: where do fans get this silly notion that "OMG SESAMEZ DESTROYED 847 OMGGGGG!!11!!!!11" when they have no evidence to back it up? I mean surely SW has every episode compiled...?!
It's probably some sort of made up fan theory. It gives off a bit of a creepypasta vibe to me personally.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I have a question: where do fans get this silly notion that "OMG SESAMEZ DESTROYED 847 OMGGGGG!!11!!!!11" when they have no evidence to back it up? I mean surely SW has every episode compiled...?!
I've been wondering the same thing. Considering how many videos had been posted on SS.org before the website's god awful revamp in 2012, I'd like to think that every episode has been compiled.

Wow. At first when the episode wasn't fully compiled, I was doubting whether that scary 2-part skit with the Count spending the night with Ernie and Bert, and Ernie goes zombie-walking out of his bedroom counting, was supposed to have been shown in that episode since the episode was supposed to be scary. But I was surprised to find out it wasn't shown in that episode. XD
Yeah, I was wondering if any other "nightmare fuel" segments were included, like some of Etienne Delessert's really bizarre cartoons (such as the ogre face on a hill with the Irish music, the mutant rabbit chasing kids to fast rock music, or the "face morph" ones), the Crack Master (though given it appeared in Episode 0848, I kind of doubted it), the freakier first-season Muppet monster skits (like Kermit's "More or Less" lecture, the "B Sound" lecture, "In the Box," etc.), Count von Count and Waiter Grover, Bob and Luis and the Train of Doom, that weird "Bird" cartoon, or maybe even something we haven't been able to obtain a clip of yet, like the "12" sketch with David as a snake charmer!
And hey, good timing at getting a rundown of this episode, since next month will be October!
It is kinda weird that the episode doesn't seem to contain any segments that are supposed to be scary (I guess it doesn't need to have segments that are unintentionally scary to many viewers). I don't think it even has anything with horror elements. No Wanda the Witch or witches cooperate or somewhat scarier monster segments or anything with The Count.
It's funny you all think this way, because...in case you all didn't know, throughout the last 4 years, fellow user @cjd874 as been writing these awesome SS Old School Outlines- if you get a chance, you MUST check them out! Last year for the 100th outline, in honor of Halloween he originally planned on writing a controversy outline featuring a scary-type celebrity (ala the Wicked Witch episode) and including segments that are considered creepy, freaky scary, weird etc. Unfortunately he had a hard time trying to come up with the plot, so he wound up making it about Mr. Hooper hosting a Halloween party (which is still great) but still included quite a few segments that are considered as...you get the idea!

Read it here: http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/sst-old-school-outlines.58107/page-7 (and while you're at it, read all the other outlines; you'll thank me later! :wink:)

wiley207

Reaction score
And I'm also reminded of when PBS unofficially banned Episode 3833 from being rerun due to how CTW and PBS found it a bit too scary, where Telly keeps seeing a mysterious alien-like "X" appear out of fog and it references "The X-Files" quite a bit.
BUT, it resurfaced on cable some years afterwards (airing on Noggin and Sprout), so that made the episode much less difficult to find than 847, not to mention VCRs were way more commonplace when 3833 originally aired in 1999.
Oh, and the only "nightmare fuel" segment in the episode is the "Mysterious Theater" segment about the Circle Search. But that's definitely not as old-school as Episode 847 is!

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Well, I can honestly sleep better at night knowing that we at least know what was in the episode.

Will that change that we'll get the full episode? No. But as far as it being destroyed, until they come out and say so, I'm sure it's just locked away gathering dust.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
People making false assumptions. It was once thought that episode 12 was lost because it didn't leak back in 2014 (assuming the supposed "hacker" physically took the tapes and digitized them, it could have just been misplaced, or if they were already digitized copies then maybe he/she just forgot to take that one off the computer), along with 1966 just because it didn't air on Noggin (which I think is silly cause VHS copies were already being made of the show by this point).

I think we'll see it one day and the comments will be flooded with "derp, this isn't scary, derp".
Yeah, pretty much!

wiley207

Reaction score
I think we'll see it one day and the comments will be flooded with "derp, this isn't scary, derp".
I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being similar to the Paul Lynde Halloween Special that Margaret Hamilton reprised her role as the Wicked Witch of the West in, ALSO from 1976...
Though in this, the Wicked Witch is a bit more comical and fun-loving compared to her truly terrifying portrayal in the MGM "The Wizard of Oz." Also, seeing as this was a prime-time network television Halloween special meant for full family audiences, I recall it wasn't met with any controversy. But to my knowledge, it only aired once and never again, just like Episode 847, but like I said, that's probably because it was a network TV Halloween special that would most likely become dated years later (the whole thing SCREAMS "1970s!") Though in this case, we're lucky that someone had recorded the entire special and preserved it and presumably made bootleg copies of it, thus allowing it to be uploaded on YouTube.
But hey, at least this special gives us an idea on how the Wicked Witch of the West probably looked and sounded in that episode! (And possibly acted, too.)

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked that out as well. For the record, I think Witchiepoo is way more scary than Margaret Hamilton. And then there were the reports of kids seeing the episode in color and not being scared at all.

The bizarre thing is she was 74 and still managed to be scary.

gravy

Reaction score
Yeeeaaahhhhh I'm pretty sure the ''trusted sources'' are the scripts.