The Purple AMs - Where's the Love?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a slightly updated list of purple AM appearances I've seen/noticed recently...

• A mother taking her son to the barber in episode 3834/3934
  • Gardener in "Cooperation Makes it Happen"
  • A nervous student in the "School in the Afteroon" bit "Edge of School"
  • A Hispanic girl in the cafeteria for "Some Enchanted Lunchtime"

I'm pretty sure I might have seen the OTHER purple AM in one of the earlier Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School sketches.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Bumping this up because Snowth honestly makes a point.

Obviously in season 1, we saw quite a number of purple Anything Muppets. Then in season 2, the lavender muppet was introduced and they were still used, but not as frequently.

I think it was towards the late 70's to early 80's the purple muppet was being phased out, and it was such a surprise finding another purple muppet that DIDN'T have a Lavender muppet alongside.

I feel like nowadays the only time a purple muppet is used is when a character is assumed to be African American if they aren't using the brown puppet. It's clear the lavender muppet was its replacement (since it's basically a shade of purple anyway), and the purple muppet is now literally the only puppet from season 1 that doesn't have a live hand variant.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, but he doesn't fall directly under the dark shade of purple.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yeah, but he doesn't fall directly under the dark shade of purple.
I don't know, I'm looking at pictures of Roosevelt Franklin, Mumford, and The Count. They all look very similar, just slightly darker. In some pictures Roosevelt looks almost dark pink.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be fair, purple was a color that wasn't recorded well by those early videotape cameras, and it may have given off a more washed-out magenta look to it . . . this is why Oscar ended up being orange instead of purple like Jim intended.