The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One other neat cartoon:
A talking apostrophe s shows all the things that belong to Ted.
The camera pulls back to show a sea of blinking, glowing neon lights. Looks like Times Square on New Year's Eve.
Ted's Burgers
Ted's Drive-In
Ted's Pizza
Ted's Movies
Ted's Drugstore
Ted's electric bill...
Then there's a blinding flash, and everything goes dark.

Time to call Ted's repairman.

Xerus

Reaction score
P&L for Plain.
Speaking of P&L, three witches were brewing a potion. The youngest one wanted to try her own recipe.
With P&L, you can throw in Plots, Plugs, and Please. The other two hate the idea, so the young witch takes the cauldron
with her.
"Too many witches spoil the soup!!"
I remember that one. The older sisters were putting stuff in the soup like the skin of a snake and the ears of two owls. Then the little sister put in her PL.

Xerus

Reaction score
SAY WHEN: Does anyone remember this cartoon by Fred Garbers? We see a huge teenage football player in a soda shop ordering one strawberry soda. The waitress goes to the soda machine and says, "Say when." But the football player goes WH WH, WHAT, uh WHALE, er WHY?" And the waitress keeps pouring out soda until it floods the entire shop in a sea of strawberry soda. And the football player keeps gurgling stuff like WHICH, WHERE, no wait, WHEN!" And the football player slurps the entire sea of soda dry making the shop clean. Then he asks the waitress for another, and she faints.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
From Season 1, Judy and Skip sing a vaudeville tune about the "Barley Farmers' Bar". Only thing I remember about the lyrics, that's where you'll find "Charlie".
After the song, Morgan Freeman and Bill Cosby continue the dialogue, Morgan in overalls, Bill in a seersucker suit.
MF: "Excuse me. Can you tell me the way to the Barley Farmer's Bar?"
BC: "Yes, but you need to take your car".
MF: "Why, is it far?"
BC: "No, it's just across the street".
MF: "Then why do I need to take my car?"
BC: "Because I own the parking lot!"

Another feature of the first season, the emphasized words were framed in a red box at the bottom of the screen. In later years, words were positioned at the top of the screen. Experts determined this word placement allowed kids to read faster.

Xerus

Reaction score
From Season 1, Judy and Skip sing a vaudeville tune about the "Barley Farmers' Bar". Only thing I remember about the lyrics, that's where you'll find "Charlie".
After the song, Morgan Freeman and Bill Cosby continue the dialogue, Morgan in overalls, Bill in a seersucker suit.
MF: "Excuse me. Can you tell me the way to the Barley Farmer's Bar?"
BC: "Yes, but you need to take your car".
MF: "Why, is it far?"
BC: "No, it's just across the street".
MF: "Then why do I need to take my car?"
BC: "Because I own the parking lot!"

Another feature of the first season, the emphasized words were framed in a red box at the bottom of the screen. In later years, words were positioned at the top of the screen. Experts determined this word placement allowed kids to read faster.
I remember there was also an animated version of the Barley Famer's Bar song, that was sung in a more fast paced tone.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this skit? We see Jim Boyd and Skip Hinnant sitting at a restaurant table. They said they were going to demonstrate C words. Jim would get all the hard C stuff and Skip the soft C stuff. First, Jim was handed some COTTON, while Skip received some delicious CINNAMON toast. Jim couldn't figure out why Skip got food and he didn't. Next, Jim got handed an empty CAN, while Skip got flavored ICE, Jim asked Skip if he could switch C sounds, and Skip agreed and switched chairs. Jim got excited, thinking he was going to get some food, but instead, he was given a block of CEMENT, while Skip got CAKE. "Pass the salt," grumbled Jim as he poured salt on his cement block. Later, after Skip finished his cake, he asked Jim if he was ready for another round. Jim said, "How come you keep getting all of the good stuff, while I get all the stuff that's lousy?!" "I'll tell you what," said Skip, "Whatever they give me next, I'll give to you, and whatever you get, you give to me." Jim agreed to that idea, but they ended up giving Jim, CARAMELS. "But I love caramels!" cried Jim, not wanting to give them up. And Skip got CIGARETTE butts. A grumpy Jim was about to give away his caramels, but Skip said, "That's okay. You can have those caramels, I"m not hungry anymore." Jim became happy and started pouring CATSUP on his caramels. "I love caramels with catsup," smiled Jim, while Skip looked disgusted.