The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
This cartoon from John Korty always made me laugh so much. Mainly, because the guy's microphone looked like a fork he was giving to the crocodile so he could use it to eat his crackers with. And I like to pretend the speeded up gibberish at the beginning was the voice of a girl getting eaten by the same crocodile.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This cartoon from John Korty always made me laugh so much. Mainly, because the guy's microphone looked like a fork he was giving to the crocodile so he could use it to eat his crackers with. And I like to pretend the speeded up gibberish at the beginning was the voice of a girl getting eaten by the same crocodile.
Only Jim Thurman could voice this so well. 8)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It was neat how the show used simple camera tricks to great effect.
Season 1, Judy and Lee are in a powder room, sitting at a vanity. Big mirrors, and a whole table of makeup and cosmetics.
Big night out, gotta look their best.
Lee picks up a jar of vanishing cream. Judy warns, "It works, but don't take too much."
Lee takes a big handful of cream and smears it on her face. And we watch her disappear.
Judy looks at the empty spot, "I told you not to take too much!"

Somewhere on the table, Avon must have a jar of reappearing cream.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this skit? We see Skip Hinnant as a hillbilly, sitting on a rocking chair on his front porch. Just then, he heard some buzzing. It was a cute little z perching in front of him. Then it was joined by an EST creating ZEST. Skip laughed, "So you think you're full of zest, eh? Just hold still now." He was about to grab the z with his hand, but it zipped away. Then the little z came back and perched, and this time it was joined by ERO creating ZERO. "Well, you're gonna feel like a zero once I get hold of you." said Skip as he was going to try and catch the z again, but the z zipped away once again. And the z came back for a third time and was joined by an OO creating ZOO. "Well, you're gonna wish you were in a zoo right now!" said Skip as he stuck out his hand once again, and this time he caught the z, for he felt it in his fist. Just as Skip was laughing, a much bigger Z with a louder buzz came in. "Is this your big brother, Zeke?" he asked nervously. "Then an even bigger Z with an even louder buzz came in. "Is this your even bigger brother, Zachary?" asked Skip. "Look, I didn't mean to catch your little brother, I'll let him go." And Skip opened his hand and released the little z. Skip smiled as he watched all three Z's buzz around and invited them in for drinks.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The adult cast once did a parody of Zoom called "Boom", right down to the striped shirts.

The main focus were two drawings of a bird on a phone. One showed the bird talking on the phone, the other showed the bird perched on the phone.

They also pulled off a neat version of the theme song, "We're gonna boom boom boom-a boom..."

Zoom and The Electric Company debuted within a few months of each other, and ended their runs almost simultaneously as well. But what a run.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember Luis playing the same robber and Lee playing the same banker in another skit. Luis handed Lee a note saying, "This is a stick up." Lee smiled and posted the note on her office wall thinking it was an actual stick up. And Luis started crying for his bank robbing plan had failed.

Xerus

Reaction score
Letterman in: Mighty Crazy at the Bat. We see the Spellbinder at a baseball game and the home team sends out their best batter named Mighty Crazy. Everyone cheered when Mighty came out onto the field. SB decided to change the A in BATTER into a U, turning Mighty into a huge cube of BUTTER. Since Mighty couldn't swing his bat now that he was butter, he missed the first ball and then the second. And the crowd was booing while poor Mighty was melting from the hot sun. "He looks like an old softy!" laughed SB. Just then, Letterman flew in crashing into the bat rack, then landed himself standing on the umpire's head. Mighty was now a huge puddle of butter with only his hat, bat, and eyes showing. Letterman took the A from his sweater and turned BUTTER back into BATTER. And Mighty turned back to normal, just in time to hit the ball. The crowd cheered while Spellbinder kept shouting stuff like, "BOO! KILL THE UMPIRE!" And the ball hit SB knocking him out. And the narrator goes, "He's out, and he'll be furious once he wakes up!"

Xerus

Reaction score
The Mystery of the Phantom Scribbler: Does anyone remember this cartoon? We see a title card and a narrator reading, "The Mystery of the...." and a hand with a pencil writes, "Phantom Scribbler." Then we see a shipyard at night and the Phantom Scribbler appears who is a shadow with a hat and trenchcoat and only his eyes and an evil grin showing. He took out a while pencil and started scribbling a message on a wall, then disappeared into the darkness laughing in a Peter Lorre sounding voice. A group of sailors saw the message that read, "The ship ai at dawn today." They couldn't figure out what it meant and worried that something was gonna happen to the ship. So they called the famous Long Fellow Wordsworth, who was a Sherlock Holmes like detective. Longfellow deduced that the AI was part of an incomplete word. So the sailors started thinking of AI words like rain, pain, jail, plain, train. But Longfellow figured it out. He took his own pencil and turned AI into SAILS. And the message now read, "The ship sails at dawn today." And they all cheered for Longfellow while he replied, "Elementary." The Scribbler was watching from inside a barrel and said, "Curses, that Longfellow Wordsworth has foiled me again. But I'll stump him next time! Heh heh heh!" And the narrator said, "Be sure to tune in next time for The Mystery of the Phanton Scri ler?" The narrator got confused at the Scri ler part, but a hand with a pencil filled in BB and the narrator continued, "Phantom Scribbler! Thank you." And the Scribbler's voice goes, "Heh heh! It's all right!"