Muppet Productions Ranked

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I’m very happy to hear you guys talking between posts because it proves that this list is gonna have a lot of surprises in store.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
32. Rocky Mountain Holiday with John Denver and The Muppets
Average Score: 6.27/10
Television Specials 6/22

Whopper of a title. The 'worse' of the two John Denver / Muppet specials hits the list a couple slots away from the Top 30. So close, yet so far. Voting peaked at 6 and went as high as 9 and as low as 4. So no one thought it was terrible, but most thought it wasn't the greatest thing they've ever done.

I couldn't find many good comments this time around, so you'll just have to settle for a short discussion on Zoot.

Choice comments:
I love this special, but one thing I have noticed weird is that Zoot plays his saxaphone during the scene when Floyd and John Denver sing "Gone Fishin'", but how come he is not seen on the camping trip with the gang for the rest of the show?
Maybe Zoot was sleeping in the back trunk... :cool:
Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 2
8 - 0
7 - 2
6 - 4
5 - 1
4 - 2
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
33. The Jim Henson Hour
34. Muppets From Space
35. A Muppets Christmas: Letters To Santa
36. The Great Santa Claus Switch
37. Kermit's Swamp Years
38. It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
39. From the Balcony
40. Little Muppet Monsters
41. The Muppets' Wizard of Oz
42. Lady Gaga and the Muppets Holiday Spectacular
43. Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
44. Studio DC: Almost Live

Groupings:
Movies 1/8
TV Series 2/8
Direct-to-Video Releases 1/2
Television Films 2/2 (5.04 avg.)
Television Specials 6/22
Web Series 1/2

Old Thunder

Reaction score
31. the muppets.
Average Score: 6.5/10
TV Series 3/8

Just outside the Top 30 is the ill-fated 2015 show, which was a re-emergence of our favorite characters in a more modern environment. The show lasted for a mere 16-episode season before being scuttled due to low ratings. What seemed to be a pretty big deal for a time quickly unraveled for the network.

Personally, I thought it was pretty good. It started out kind of iffy, but by the end of the season it was very entertaining, very involving, and very good overall, and given that it ended on a cliffhanger, I hope that somehow something can be done to finally end it on a happier note once and for all.

Voting was more or less spread out - peaking at 7, it received a single 10 but two 1s. However, it didn't get any votes between 2 and 5, so they majority thought it was above average. I'd have definitely had it even higher, but that's what having a bunch of people voting on this will get you.

Choice comments:
Well, it was fun while it lasted.
The show was full of laughter. It gave characters like Chip the chance to be creepy, Scooter to be a nerd, Sam to fall in love and Uncle Deadly to become a legend. It gave us Gloria Estefan. It gave us Robin back and Lips a voice. It gave Piggy a chance to grow and Kermit a chance to realise why he loved her the way he did. It reminded us to be silly and not to be ashamed to let our pig tails be shown to the world.
A lot of hard work and soul went into this show, and on the whole a lot of Muppet projects deliver on that. They were still the Muppets.
This show had so many wonderful things - the amazing puppetry and acting by the Muppet Performers, the writing only got stronger as the season progressed IMO and it was also wonderful to see characters like Scooter, Uncle Deadly and Yolanda shine and get so much attention for the first time. So many people put their heart and soul into this show and it clearly showed.
The show had its faults, and I'm sure they will be rehashed endlessly on here for months to come, but it also had some excellent parts too. In the end, what I think hurt the show was that it tried to do too much at once and didn't have enough time for development. It was entertaining scenes in search of a larger whole.
Uncle Deadly went from a character I knew in name only to one of my favorite Muppets! Yolanda wasn't just some background character, she was actually involved with the show. It was great to see another female Muppet fleshed out a bit. We not only FINALLY got to see Robin again, but he had an entire episode centered around him! I could go on, but you get the point. These types of things are why I was so excited for the show to begin with. With a movie you don't have time for all this, but a TV show can explore all these other characters.
I personally found the series funny - I thought it gave a nice new direction for the Muppets while also not feeling forced. I really wish it continued, because I feel like the cancellation was just uncalled for.
It was a pretty great show that got better as it progressed. I wish it didn't end.
Almost nothing about this show worked. It was practically DOA. Crazy it’s been three years since it premiered.
But, honestly, it was probably the best full-length thing (web videos excluded) they've done since MCC.
Votes:
10 - 1
9 - 1
8 - 3
7 - 4
6 - 3
5 - 0
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 2

Overall:
31. the muppets.
33. The Jim Henson Hour
34. Muppets From Space
37. Kermit's Swamp Years
39. From the Balcony

Groupings:
Movies 1/8
TV Series 3/8
Television Specials 6/22
Web Series 1/2

Old Thunder

Reaction score
30. Muppet Treasure Island
Average Score: 6.5/10
Movies 2/8

As we enter the Top 30, our second movie makes its exit, and @Pig's Laundry called it. Muppet Treasure Island is a piratey film that has always managed to be a controversial one. No one hated it - the lowest it got was a 4 - and some loved it, but overall most just consider it above average.

The film tied with the muppets. but received an extra vote for 10, which I used to break the tie and propel this one into the Top 30.

Choice comments:
Persoanlly I loved the movie! mainly because it was the first Muppet Movie or Muppet anything I ever saw. IT was what got me attracted to the Muppets in the first place.
A noble attempt at retelling a classic.
The whole thing is genius, really. I love the tone of the film, how it manages to be this grand epic adventure with a soaring soundtrack and plenty of drama and swordplay, and at the same time you've got a bear with a man living in his finger. Pure genius.
Muppet treasure island is so amazingly amazing!! It's one of my all time favorite movies ever!!
I love this movie. Waitching it over and over when I was younger is one of the main reasons why I love the muppets so much now. This movie is so crazy, musical, and fun, that I had to check out the others.
Mmm... yes, MTI is one of my favorites. I've watched so many times, and I'm not a bit tired of it.
This movie is a thousand more times a Muppet movie than MCC would ever be.
Votes:
10 - 2
9 - 1
8 - 0
7 - 3
6 - 4
5 - 1
4 - 3
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
31. the muppets.
33. The Jim Henson Hour
34. Muppets From Space
37. Kermit's Swamp Years
39. From the Balcony

Groupings:
Movies 2/8
TV Series 3/8
Television Specials 6/22
Web Series 1/2

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I boggles my mind that MTI has been getting an increasing amount of hate in recent years, and I cannot fathom why. I mean, it has everything you would expect from a Muppet movie: the Muppets being their traditional wacky and zany selves within the context of a classic tale, an over-the-top human villain (double points for Long John Silver being portrayed by the extraordinary Tim Curry), meta humor, a sly and subtle edge for the adults to enjoy, memorable songs . . . and, I mean, pirates are one of those things that maintain a universal appeal to kids alongside dinosaurs, outer space, and super heroes.

It holds a special place in my life because it not only was the first Muppet movie I ever saw in theaters, but one of the first movies I saw in theaters as a kid, period.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
29. Muppet Babies (2018)
Average Score: 6.58/10
TV Series 4/8

New and improved? Perhaps not, but the new Muppet Babies hasn't done terribly in our countdown. While it is merely above average score-wise, it's beaten out some stiff competition to get this far. No one loved it, but no one hated it at the same time, which gave the new show enough to make it into our Top 30.

Choice comments:
So far, this show has been good. It definitely captures most of the spirit of the original, including the wit, while doing some things of its own.
I like how Statler and Waldorf in this series like the jokes that Fozzie tells. I like how this version of Camilla is an actual chick as opposed to the original series where she was just a toy.
Well, I guess they're not going to have anymore afternoon repeats, I guess that was just for the newness of the show, so. . . . Whatever.
I still like the show though; it's like "You think the Muppets are for kids? Well here, have a tasteful Muppets kid's show".
Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 3
7 - 5
6 - 1
5 - 2
4 - 1
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
29. Muppet Babies (2018)
31. the muppets.
33. The Jim Henson Hour
34. Muppets From Space
37. Kermit's Swamp Years
39. From the Balcony

Groupings:
Movies 2/8
TV Series 4/8
Television Specials 6/22
Web Series 1/2

Old Thunder

Reaction score
28. Hey, Cinderella!
Average Score: 6.75/10
Television Specials 7/22

It's the original! Our oldest television special makes an appearance now and, sadly for its fans, didn't manage to make the overall Top 20 or even the TV specials Top 10. Sad.

Four people genuinely loved it, as it received three 10s and one 9, but most thought it was average to good, with a single vote for 1 dragging it down lower than it could have been otherwise.

Choice comments:
As a kid, [my favorite] was "The Frog Prince", but now I think I've flipped to "Hey, Cinderella". I think the humor is a little more adult and little wackier, and I just didn't get a lot of it as a kid.
What's funny about Hey Cinderella is the use of adult jokes and anachronisms. As a kid I didn't understand all that, I thought they were being serious. Years later I feel quick silly! Lol
I'm adoring Hey Cinderella right now.
we all need a good barfight every now and then :attitude:
Votes:
10 - 3
9 - 1
8 - 0
7 - 2
6 - 2
5 - 3
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 1

Overall:
28. Hey, Cinderella!
29. Muppet Babies (2018)
31. the muppets.
33. The Jim Henson Hour
34. Muppets From Space
37. Kermit's Swamp Years
39. From the Balcony

Groupings:
Movies 2/8
TV Series 4/8
Television Specials 7/22
Web Series 1/2

Old Thunder

Reaction score
27. The Muppet Meeting Films
Average Score: 6.8/10
Television Specials 8/22

These short films have done well enough in our rankings to make it into one of the upper 'above average' slots. Voting stayed primarily between 7 and 10, peaking at 8, but two votes for 5 and a single vote for 1 unfortunately ended their involvement sooner than could have been.

Choice comments:
These are amazing!!
Votes:
10 - 1
9 - 1
8 - 3
7 - 2
6 - 0
5 - 2
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 1

Overall:
27. The Muppet Meeting Films
28. Hey, Cinderella!
29. Muppet Babies (2018)
31. the muppets.
33. The Jim Henson Hour
34. Muppets From Space
37. Kermit's Swamp Years
39. From the Balcony

Groupings:
Movies 2/8
TV Series 4/8
Television Specials 8/22
Web Series 1/2

Old Thunder

Reaction score
26. Muppets Tonight
Average Score: 6.86/10
TV Series 5/8

Over half the TV series are now on the list. Researching this one, I'm surprised to find it only managed to have 22 episodes made; I expected it to be a bit more successful. At any rate, this... reboot of The Muppet Show, for lack of a better description, hasn't done terribly bad on our countdown. Voting ranged between 5 and 9, helping it get just outside of the Top 25.

Choice comments:
I must say it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I enjoyed 99% of the material, and I plan on rewatching the episodes over and over.
I love this show. It was great, and when you get to the heart of Johnny and Sal in the episode where Johnny and his Ma are fighting, and the trouble poor Sal goes through to bring them back together...THAT! Is what classic Muppets are all about! Heart! It was also the point when i really fell in love with those two characters.
It was fun, it was good, but no TMS. But I did like JHH much better.
I am of the age where I was one of the new veiwers this show was trying to attract and (quite frankly) it worked. It is only now looking back and comparing this show to the Muppet Show that lets me see some of the mistakes and missed chances.
I never really liked the show that much, but at that time, it was "YAY! MUPPETS ARE ON TV!! IT'S SOMETHING TO WATCH!!" And that was honestly about it.
It was fun because it was the Muppets and I certainly have some favorite skits and loved some of the characters, but it never really grabbed me the way a lot of the other Muppet projects do.
It sucked (to me). Maybe 'cuz I was hopin' to see classic stuff, and it was more like tryin' to pull in new viewers or make the show modern and hip and all, but the end result (to me) just sucked.
I loved it. It wasn't The Muppet Show, but it had alot of potential and shine to it. I hope we'll eventually see a DVD release.
I only watched it once with my parents and turned it off pretty quickly. It sort of felt like a lot of '90s Muppet stuff where they were being molded by pop culture instead of mocking it the way they'd done on Muppet Show.
I really wanted to get into this show back then. But I don't. I think it just didn't feel like the Muppet Show sometimes.
I've listed lots of reasons before, but ultimately the answer to Muppets Tonights' lukewarm reception is this: the excitement just wasn't great enough. Much of the sparkle was missing for many reasons. Maybe it would have gained momentum with time. It definitely needed more Kermit & Piggy moments, more Fozzie & Kermit moments and more Electric Mayhem moments, but the spark that's largely missing from the production can clearly be seen in the outtakes. More of that would have solidified the show.
Muppets Tonight came at a time when the muppets were in a disarray. With main characters like Kermit neglected & minor ones like Clifford put in the spotlight, it simply had no appeal to mainstream viewers. Personally, I think it was a solid series.
Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 2
8 - 2
7 - 4
6 - 4
5 - 2
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall: