Queen Rosie of France (Remake of The Alligator King)

salemfan

Reaction score
I did this adaptation of the Alligator King a long time ago and somebody suggested it would be better for the Fan Fiction section. What does anybody think of it?
The Queen Rosie of France and her Seven Daughters

One two three four five six seven!
Said the Queen Rosie of France to her seven daughters,
"I'm feeling mighty down.
Whichever of you can cheer me up will
get to wear my crown."
The first daughter gave seven scallop shells
from the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea.
The second gave her seven statues of men
With clocks where the stomach should be.
The third daughter gave her seven sapphires
From the shiekdom of down there beneath.
The queen thought the sapphires were blueberries
and she broke off seven of her teeth.
The fourth daughter came to cheer her up
with seven cherry drops.
The queen said, "I'm sorry, daughter, but since that sapphire episode
I just haven't got the chops."
The fifth daughter brought the queen perfume
In seven jars of honeydew.
The queen took a whiff and she broke out in spots
'Cause it smelled like Pepe Le Pew.
The sixth daughter gave her seven diamond rings
To wear upon her toes.
The queen snagged her foot on the royal red rug
And crumpled up her nose.
The seventh daughter of the Queen Rosie of France
Was a thoughtful little whelp.
She said, "Mommy, appears to me that you could use a little help."
Said the Queen Rosie of France to her seventh daughter,
"My daughter, you win the crown.
You didn't give me emeralds or sapphires, but
you helped me up when I was down.
Take the crown, it's yours my daughter.
I hope you don't mind the pranks.
I got it on sale at a discount store-
Cost me all of seven francs!"
SEVEN!
(Rosie and all of her daughters are humans, by the way.)

salemfan

Reaction score
So... basically this is the same thing except all of the characters are female humans? :rolleyes:
More or less. In fact, I've imagined it being portrayed with live actresses. One I had in mind to play the Queen Rosie of France is Maura West (if you don't know who she is, she is a soap opera actress. You can also look her up). It would maybe make sense to have Maura's real-life daughter Birdie play the seventh daughter. (By this point Maura's real-life daughter Katherine is too old to play any of the seven daughters.) However, for obvious reasons the sapphires would really be some form of candy used by the prop makers. A reason to switch to female humans would be so parents can be assured that the word "cigars" is removed from the song (for the same reason they changed the intro to Monsterpiece Theater when Alistair Cookie's pipe was removed from the clips).

salemfan

Reaction score
If this were still animated, the clip would end with the audience seeing that Rosie's blond hair as seen throughout the clip is a fake wig-we see that she has brown hair. However, I would rather see it be done with live actresses, so if they got a blond-haired woman to play Rosie, the aforementioned similar ending to the original song is out of the question.
For obvious reasons, (the actress playing) Rosie would wear open-toed sandals because of what the sixth daughter gave her.
Still, nobody has answered what they think of this remake.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I like it. A cute change of pace. While some people may not consider it true fanfiction being mostly the same with a slight change of the description of the characters, sometimes it can work very well.

And this one does in my opinion. :smile:

salemfan

Reaction score
I like it. A cute change of pace. While some people may not consider it true fanfiction being mostly the same with a slight change of the description of the characters, sometimes it can work very well.

And this one does in my opinion. :smile:
MartyMuppets, why do you like this remake?
What makes it a change of pace? And why is it cute?
Why does this change of the description of the characters work very well?
Who else knows any real-life actresses and their real-life daughter (s) that would do good to play Rosie and her seventh daughters(s)?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
MartyMuppets, why do you like this remake?
What makes it a change of pace? And why is it cute?
Why does this change of the description of the characters work very well?
Who else knows any real-life actresses and their real-life daughter (s) that would do good to play Rosie and her seventh daughters(s)?
I like seeing things re-told in slightly different ways salemfan. Also thinking about the characters as female humans makes me picture them as very attractive. Queen Rosie is very beautiful in my imagination and her beauty is passed genetically along to all her daughters. That makes it cute to me.

And I love the way small things are changed. Such as.
The third daughter gave her seven sapphires
From the shiekdom of down there beneath.
The queen thought the sapphires were blueberries
and she broke off seven of her teeth.
The fourth daughter came to cheer her up
with seven cherry drops.
The queen said, "I'm sorry, daughter, but since that sapphire episode
I just haven't got the chops."

Sapphires in place of rubies and cherry drops in place of lemon drops. Also in the original the king thought the rubies were cherries while the queen thought the sapphires were blueberries. That is cleverly thought of since the colour matches between the jewels and perceived fruit fit in respectively. Red in the original, blue in your version.

As a suggestion for a live-action Rosie I can think of Michelle Pfeiffer, Heather Locklear or Sandra Bullock. If Sandra did it, she could do the blond wig ending covering her own hair cut short, and maybe dyed brown to your preference.

Last edited:

salemfan

Reaction score
MartyMuppets, do you know any real-life seven girls that would do good to play the seven live-action daughters?