It's Official: Caroll Spinney retires from Sesame Street after nearly 50 years

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Looking at Rick Lyon's personal Facebook page, he was there at the retirement party, which is very interesting.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Since we're talking about former Sesame Street Cast members coming to Caroll Spinney's retirement party... Makes me wonder if Buffy Sainte-Marie, Buffy of the Sesame Street 70's shows, was there or made a video message?

I ask this question given that in her recent Biography, Buffy dedicated a chapter of the book to her time on Sesame Street and even mentioned how impressed she was working with Caroll Spinney at the time.

OscarandTelly

Reaction score
This may seem a bit weird, but I totally got thinking of thing song, more appropriate now than ever.

What would be totally cool is if they did an updated version of that song. Since that was back in 1999. where one of the guys kids in that song now in fact has a toddler of their own and the song could be about 3 generations of big bird.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I wonder if the actress who played Maria attended Spinney's retirement party?

I also wonder if Spinney's retirement was motivated by declining ratings and budget cuts, and the show possibly facing a grim future?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I wonder if the actress who played Maria attended Spinney's retirement party?

I also wonder if Spinney's retirement was motivated by declining ratings and budget cuts, and the show possibly facing a grim future?
Yes Sonia Manzano was at the retirement party.

The retirement party was for a celebration of Caroll Spinney after 50 years of service. Nothing more nothing less. Besides he’s getting up in those years, he’s really in no condition to be Big Bird or Oscar.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
What is it with you and the ratings/budget cuts?

Evidence suggests the prime motivation behind this was that due to his age and physical condition, he just couldn't do the performances anymore.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
He has numerous health problems and his left arm doesn’t even work anymore. Money has nothing to do with him leaving.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What is it with you and the ratings/budget cuts?
For whatever reason, this is a growing trend in fandoms: obsessing over numbers and ratings. I guess because of the fierce competition that's out there, not to mention living in an age of uncertainty, people turn to numbers and ratings to see if their favorite shows stand a chance of surviving for another season - let alone finishing the current season without getting axed altogether due to poor ratings.