The "I Saw Something REALLY Weird Today" Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Dear God, I... I don't even know what to say about this...
That actually doesn't look that bad to me, tbh. The CG effects are decent, and Pikachu looks adorable! It certainly looks miles better than other CG/ live action hybrid reboots. And when it was originally announced that Ryan Reynolds was gonna play him, I thought he was going to be overly sarcastic and quippy, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It looks very different from anything Pokemon has done before, and to me that's exciting! It's a long running franchise, and if they want to stay on top they have to branch out.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's not the fluffiness that bothers me so much . . . it's the hyper-realistic eyes. Maybe if they were a tad more cartoonish, they wouldn't look so creepy.

But other than that, Ryan Reynolds seems to have become the male Amy Adams: started out doing nothing but indie and low-budget movies, now suddenly everywhere in mainstream. Come to think of it, having Pikachu speak seems like a given if he's going to carry a movie, but . . . Ryan Reynolds seems about as much of a ill-fitting voice as Benedict Cumberbatch as the Grinch. Pikachu need not sound like the anime character, but couldn't they have gotten someone who could given him a "cuter" voice?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I'm just wondering how many Pikachu Deadpool memes there are gonna be with the fact that Ryan is voicing Pikachu. :search:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just happened to think . . . isn't Pokemon actually a Nintendo property? And, didn't Nintendo vow they were never going to let their properties be adapted into a live-action movie ever again after what happened with that SUPER MARIO BROS. movie with Bob Hoskins, John Leguizamo, and Dennis Hopper? And this is what they signed off on?

I mean, I'll be honest: this whole premise honestly sounds like a fan film. A wise-cracking, talking Pikachu who happens to be a detective? Seems like the same kind of thinking that would come up with something like Yogi and Boo-Boo as Yu-Gi-Oh card players, or Popeye as Sailor Moon, or the Aristocats in modern-day America.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I just happened to think . . . isn't Pokemon actually a Nintendo property? And, didn't Nintendo vow they were never going to let their properties be adapted into a live-action movie ever again after what happened with that SUPER MARIO BROS. movie with Bob Hoskins, John Leguizamo, and Dennis Hopper? And this is what they signed off on?
Well, this movie is based on the plot of a specific video game, so it at least looks like it'll be a more faithful adaptation that the Mario Bros one.

Last edited: