Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm a hugger. People like to hug me, so I just let them. What's the harm? I've never been in a situation where somebody asks me for a hug and I felt like they were a perv and wanting something more than that, and of course, when I'm hugging people, I'm not thinking it's anything more than that. I don't know what it is, but again, people just like to hug me.

I just feel particularly disheartened and disenchanted that we've reached a point where parenting guides and resources are now urging parents to not hug their kids (unless the kids come to them for a hug first), and teaching their kids not to hug relatives because relatives who expect hugs are violating their consent.

I'm all for teaching children what they need to know about inappropriate touching and physical contact, but I don't believe that hugging should be lumped into that. What's next? Will holding hands be considered sexual harassment, "because the person holding your hand will try to lure you into sex"? What about fist-bumping? Will that become a form of sexual harassment too? "People who want fist-bumps are into sadomasochism, they wanna see how much you can hurt them for their own pleasure." Please.
And in some Italian families the men give each other a peck on the cheek. To them it's a cultural term of endearment, others would have cause to freak out. The patriarch of one such family once gave me a peck, and for someone not of Italian extraction, it's considered a high honor.
So when in Rome...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That brings to mind another similar debate: remember how back in the day, the question came up that is kissing on the first date considered inappropriate, though now the question has (de)evolved into whether it's inappropriate to have sex on the first date.

The latter aside (you all know how I feel), I've heard the suggestion that if you're going to kiss on the first date (not that you should, mind you), it's more proper and chivalrous to kiss your date on the hand, rather than the cheek, or even the lips.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I, a pansexual white German / American male who does not like hugs, am constantly getting hugged by women of all races and sexualities. Weird.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I tend to get more hugs from women and girls than anything else. That's not to say I don't also occasionally get bro hugs from dudes.