The Doctor Who Thread

Angela Mae

Reaction score
John Nathan-Turner was bad for Doctor Who, but Doctor Who was also bad for him. He might still be alive if he had never joined the program. He drank himself to death at only 54.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
John Nathan-Turner was bad for Doctor Who, but Doctor Who was also bad for him. He might still be alive if he had never joined the program. He drank himself to death at only 54.
I suppose he was rather young, wasn't he? I think that John's era greatly influenced New Who, and from what i've heard he had some good seasons, but he was more of a producer than a writer. Colin Baker's last season would've been a good time to step down, but he kept going. I've seen a good amount of seasons 25 and 26, and from what i've seen they're really good. But by then the damage had been done. There was no going back as far as the public's perception was concerned.

Angela Mae

Reaction score
I suppose he was rather young, wasn't he? I think that John's era greatly influenced New Who, and from what i've heard he had some good seasons, but he was more of a producer than a writer. Colin Baker's last season would've been a good time to step down, but he kept going. I've seen a good amount of seasons 25 and 26, and from what i've seen they're really good. But by then the damage had been done. There was no going back as far as the public's perception was concerned.
If JN-T had never been exposed to showbiz and had stayed in an anonymous life in the West Midlands where he had been born and bred, he might still be alive today at age 71, combing grey-white hair and listening to classical music on BBC Radio 3...

Angela Mae

Reaction score
Dear Matt Smith,

Whatever got you to play Charles Manson, was not worth it.

All you had to do. when offered the script, was remember what Susan Atkins said to Sharon Tate, who was eight months pregnant and begging for the life of her baby: "Look, b*tch, you might as well face it right now, you're going to die, and I don't feel a thing behind it."

Matt, you could have said "no".

newsmanfan

Reaction score
#WhereIsMyDelgadoMasterPop
YAAASSSS. No Master has ever reached the standard set by Delgado. Not that I dislike any of them (except in the TV Movie, but that's another kettle of worms altogether), but the mustache-primping, velvet-tricked-out Master who planned better silly schemes than The Brain and Pinky was the best.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
What do you call a large group of Ood?

An Ood-le.

A man goes to the doctor and says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" Doctor says, "I don't have time for bad jokes, the Cybermen are invading!"

A Cyberman, a Dalek, and a Sontaran walk into a bar...

...there were no survivors.
****. Those are so bad they're good.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
For the past two weeks, I've been listening during my work commute to the Tenth Doctor Tales collection by the BBC - audiobooks read by David Tennant and Catherine Tate (who has far more range than I'd realized). I am generally not a fan of audiobooks, far preferring to just read them myself, and audio plays (e.g. Big Finish) are much more fun. However, found myself actually really enjoying these audiobooks. Eager to start the next one this evening. Recommended for any fans of Ten.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I still need to get around to listening to The First Doctor Adventures, they're up to three volumes and I haven't even listened to volume one yet.

Speaking of poor segues, I noticed nobody else has piped in about Series 11 yet, so I'm gonna do that there thing there.

I have to say, after watching Series 11 and the New Year's special, I'm a bigger fan of Jodie and 13 than I am a fan of the show at the moment. Just overall the episodes felt "meh", and the ones that didn't feel "meh" felt like they were pressed right up against my ear, screaming "WE ARE BEING TOPICAL, AND ARE THEREFORE SOCIALLY RELEVANT!"

Except "Resolution", which had a pretty nice Reinvention of the Daleks and proved (for me at least) that kicking the old monsters out for an entire series was a mistake.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
YAAASSSS. No Master has ever reached the standard set by Delgado. Not that I dislike any of them (except in the TV Movie, but that's another kettle of worms altogether), but the mustache-primping, velvet-tricked-out Master who planned better silly schemes than The Brain and Pinky was the best.
I definitely agree - if Derek Jacobi's Master didn't exist, lol.
For the past two weeks, I've been listening during my work commute to the Tenth Doctor Tales collection by the BBC - audiobooks read by David Tennant and Catherine Tate (who has far more range than I'd realized). I am generally not a fan of audiobooks, far preferring to just read them myself, and audio plays (e.g. Big Finish) are much more fun. However, found myself actually really enjoying these audiobooks. Eager to start the next one this evening. Recommended for any fans of Ten.
I've been meaning to listen to those, although they're going to have to wait for now because I have SO much Big Finish to get through. (Currently on a Two Masters trilogy, which is so far really good!)
I have to say, after watching Series 11 and the New Year's special, I'm a bigger fan of Jodie and 13 than I am a fan of the show at the moment. Just overall the episodes felt "meh", and the ones that didn't feel "meh" felt like they were pressed right up against my ear, screaming "WE ARE BEING TOPICAL, AND ARE THEREFORE SOCIALLY RELEVANT!"
Tbh, although I like Jodie/13, I think they could have given a bit more... development and made her more unique. It's kind of like how the 5th Doctor felt really bland in his first season and really didn't develop until his second or third season. I agree though, Series 11 was overall a disappointment in terms of episodes.
Except "Resolution", which had a pretty nice Reinvention of the Daleks and proved (for me at least) that kicking the old monsters out for an entire series was a mistake.
"Resolution" is my current favorite 13 episode, and just goes to show that Chibnall is better at writing old monsters than creating new ones. It also managed to be the first true Dalek-centric story since... idk, Into the Dalek? (Because The Magician's Apprentice was more of a Davros story).