Where are all these classic Sesame Street episodes coming from?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sure, they've digitized plenty, but they haven't RESTORED all of them.
The original post did only say "digitize" but nothing of restoring or remastering.

Hmm, I wonder how often Sesame Workshop restores/remasters footage, or if there really is a need. Whenever something old is released on DVD/digital or whenever Sesame Workshop uploads an old clip online, the quality is really great (though I've heard some fans recently criticizing recent HD uploads of classic clips for interlacing, I'm not really sure if I see what they mean), whether it's something that fans have previously uploaded (and usually looking better) or a rare clip that we haven't seen or maybe even haven't heard of.

Another point is that all these episodes that have mysteriously surfaced, clearly from the vaults, are in such great quality - and clearly there weren't plans for these to be released to the public anytime soon. Though I believe I once read that Sesame Workshop used to make new copies of every episode when new video formats/new types of video were out before finally making digital copies and no longer having to convert the episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if they started making new copies when the early episodes were still in fairly new shape.

gravy

Reaction score
I've heard some fans recently criticizing recent HD uploads of classic clips for interlacing, I'm not really sure if I see what they mean
Look closely. It's really annoying.

Another point is that all these episodes that have mysteriously surfaced, clearly from the vaults, are in such great quality - and clearly there weren't plans for these to be released to the public anytime soon.
They were uploaded in their original quality, 480p, and if you think THAT'S good quality, wait till you can watch it restored.

Though I believe I once read that Sesame Workshop used to make new copies of every episode when new video formats/new types of video were out before finally making digital copies and no longer having to convert the episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if they started making new copies when the early episodes were still in fairly new shape.
I'd be sure they still have the tapes themselves, although maybe they might not be in as good quality as they once used to be. Of course, if one was in... NOT good shape, they'd probably use their other sources.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
They were uploaded in their original quality, 480p, and if you think THAT'S good quality, wait till you can watch it restored.
Come to think of it, I have noticed some clips look a lot better on DVD than Sesame Workshop's official uploads. And there are cases where I feel certain clips look worse on DVD then when Sesame Workshop uploaded them (the only one I can think of right now is the first two releases of Kermit News: Sleeping Beauty), though I wondered if watching the clips on a website makes them look a bit different from watching on a proper disc.

MWoO

Reaction score
I didn't know there were so many old school episodes uploaded. It's really weird seeing season 1 Sesame Street. There are clips in these episodes that were in the series when I was a kid (about 20 years after the show started) that I had no idea were from the first season. Also it is weird seeing characters before they were totally fleshed out. The quality is surprisingly good and in one episode you can see the Cookie Monster puppet has discoloration in his mouth from where the teeth use to be attached.

It's crazy how things have changed. Episode 11 has a song about mothers that would NOT be ok today.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
It's crazy how things have changed. Episode 11 has a song about mothers that would NOT be ok today.
Ha, yeah. There's also this sketch which hasn't aged particularly well:

I cringe just thinking about it.