Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

Censored

Reaction score
The key word is social justice vs. legal justice. I actually advocate for social justice, where society determines if something is acceptable. I specifically said that I would boycott a bakery that refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding. That is society seeking justice through protest. What I do not support is a law forcing said bakery to make the cake. That is the legal system imposing morality, even if I agree with the morality they want to impose. I do not support any law that would set a precedent saying it is ok to legislate against freedom of religion, speech, or protest.

Take the actual issue of gay marriage. Kim Davis was a civil servant who refused to issue a marriage license. She was wrong. How is that different than the cake? She was a civil servant who swore to uphold the law. The Supreme Court found that laws banning gay marriage violated the 14th amendment. Therefore, any law that banned gay marriage was retroactively invalidated. The state therefore had to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples. Kim Davis represented the state, not her personal business. Therefore, she was wrong to refuse legally.

The Supreme Court acted appropriately. It didn't create law, but it interpreted the constitution and disallowed new law that infringed on rights protected by it. And that is what I am for. Less government and the preservation of rights. The constitution does not give us rights, it outlines what fundamental rights we already have and what the government can not take away.

This also includes the KKK's right to speech and protest. I do not want legislation against their speech because I do not want legislation against by speech. The government should not have the power to take away a fundamental right. That doesn't mean I agree with them. But I am sure you will just call me a bigot anyway.

Now I know why you are a children's therapist. You only know how to think in child like terms of all good or all bad.
Yes, yes, I know your justification for bigotry, you don't have to keep repeating it like a broken record. You sound just like the people who opposed Civil Rights Legislation in the 60's that didn't want to require businesses to serve people of all races. The conservatives said, "You can't legislate morality" (How ironic). They claimed that it was wrong to discriminate, but that private businesses had a right to run their places as they saw fit. Sound familiar?

MWoO

Reaction score
Yes, yes, I know your justification for bigotry, you don't have to keep repeating it like a broken record. You sound just like the people who opposed Civil Rights Legislation in the 60's that didn't want to require businesses to serve people of all races. The conservatives said, "You can't legislate morality" (How ironic). They claimed that it was wrong to discriminate, but that private businesses had a right to run their places as they saw fit. Sound familiar?
Yes yes, calling someone a broken record because they have to repeat themselves when someone ignores what they actually say.

Censored

Reaction score
Just for the record, there was one time when I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. :wink: