Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's partly Nostalgia Critic's fault. He's the one who commented that, "'Be Prepared' is enjoyably menacing, turning a bunch of slack-jawed hyenas into the ******* Third Reich!"

mr3urious

Reaction score
Bumblebee now has the lowest opening of the Bayformers movies so far at around $21 million, sitting at 3rd place behind Aquaman and Mary Poppins Returns. No doubt these will still be a thing because of the People's Republic, but it's nice to know that Yanks are getting sick of them. :smile:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't get why the new Mary Poppins movie is doing so well right now . . . are moviegoers finally becoming desensitized to unnecessary reboots/remakes/rehashes/revivals? I mean, even Dick Van Dyke isn't happy about this.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I don't get why the new Mary Poppins movie is doing so well right now . . . are moviegoers finally becoming desensitized to unnecessary reboots/remakes/rehashes/revivals? I mean, even Dick Van Dyke isn't happy about this.
To be fair, MPR was based on the book sequels that P.L. Travers refused to allow Walt Disney to adapt, which explains the spiritual successor Bedknobs & Broomsticks. And I give them major credit for using hand-drawn animation for the chalk drawings like the first film as opposed to the same drab, dreary, ultra-realistic CGI in the other live-action remakes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
True . . . even though the animated portions look more like something out of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon instead of a Disney animated feature, IMHO.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean, it's Will Ferrell . . . when has a movie of his ever been good?

MWoO

Reaction score
Holmes & Watson looks like a terrible movie. Nothing about it seems entertaining. Trailers usually have the best parts in them. This movie's trailer looks so bad I can only assume the rest of it consists of Will Farrell screaming while flipping off the camera.