Writing Help: Sesame Street character descriptions

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Hey, @MuppetSpot I know this is a little late but, since you were having trouble writing for Baby Bear...

I had trouble writing for him too because his characterisations are more nuanced then some of the other characters. I think even the show's writers haven't known what to do with him in a while.

But, SST's official description says that he has an adventurous spirit, always willing to try new things. However, sometimes he is a bit resistant to change, often times he's anxious about it.

He's very smart, generally the more practical of his friends, and he has a big vocabulary. He can sometimes be a bit sarcastic. Compared to most of the characters, he is very confident in himself.

In his earlier years he was much more quick to anger, but over time he became more calm and reserved, with usually only two people that can get under his skin: Goldilocks and Curly Bear, usually because they mess with his things. While he's a sweet and nurturing big brother, he can be very territorial about his things.

He can be a bit dramatic when problems are out of his hands, sometimes yelling loudly to himself when he's frustrated ("Ugh, Why me!!").

In the season 44 episode "We Tee Ball" we see that he prefers drawing to sports, to point that he can get easily distracted when he's thinking about art.

He's not too confrontational, so sometimes he'll hide from his problems or his mistakes to avoid conflict. He's honest though, so eventually he gains the courage to come clean.

Alright, I hope this helps. Sorry if it's a bit long.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Hey, @MuppetSpot I know this is a little late but, since you were having trouble writing for Baby Bear...

I had trouble writing for him too because his characterisations are more nuanced then some of the other characters. I think even the show's writers haven't known what to do with him in a while.

But, SST's official description says that he has an adventurous spirit, always willing to try new things. However, sometimes he is a bit resistant to change, often times he's anxious about it.

He's very smart, generally the more practical of his friends, and he has a big vocabulary. He can sometimes be a bit sarcastic. Compared to most of the characters, he is very confident in himself.

In his earlier years he was much more quick to anger, but over time he became more calm and reserved, with usually only two people that can get under his skin: Goldilocks and Curly Bear, usually because they mess with his things. While he's a sweet and nurturing big brother, he can be very territorial about his things.

He can be a bit dramatic when problems are out of his hands, sometimes yelling loudly to himself when he's frustrated ("Ugh, Why me!!").

In the season 44 episode "We Tee Ball" we see that he prefers drawing to sports, to point that he can get easily distracted when he's thinking about art.

He's not too confrontational, so sometimes he'll hide from his problems or his mistakes to avoid conflict. He's honest though, so eventually he gains the courage to come clean.

Alright, I hope this helps. Sorry if it's a bit long.
Thank you @Pig's Laundry for this insight of Baby Bear’s characteristics. Well, I have enough to use for my next FanFiction.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh, how I missed this place! You're speaking the language my mind has been starving for for so long, muppet characterizations! Anyway, it's been a long time since I've seen a full episode of Sesame Street, especially anything recent. I also don't know if you still could use help, but Telly is my favorite of the ones you mentioned, so here are my thoughts.

The first word that comes to my mind when I think of Telly is loud. He is quite passionate about everything he does, and can be rather dramatic and extremely anxious sometimes.. He also has a bit of that dry sense of humor, more common with older characters. Like with all Sesame Street characters, he's friendly and likes to help others, but he doesn't seem as constantly bubbly or perky as some of the others.

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Oh, how I missed this place! You're speaking the language my mind has been starving for for so long, muppet characterizations! Anyway, it's been a long time since I've seen a full episode of Sesame Street, especially anything recent. I also don't know if you still could use help, but Telly is my favorite of the ones you mentioned, so here are my thoughts.
Oh yes! I would love for everyone to keep adding to the thread. Like you, characterization is a huge point of interest for me, plus I think this thread could really help a lot of new writers.

(p.s, Telly is one of my favorites too!)

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I was thinking about Baby Bear and his big thing is he’s compassionate for his friends. Like whenever something scares Telly like on the episode where they go camping.